The Bear - FX Series starring Shameless' Jeremy Allen White (Lip) - Returns June 27th, 2024

5 minutes ago, Best said:

I can't spend more money on a streaming service so I'll never see this which sucks. 

Hulu should have a free trial for new accounts (just use a new email if you’ve previously been a subscriber). Or one month is like $8, and that’s plenty of time to watch all three seasons. 

Just now, TheLeon said:

Hulu should have a free trial for new accounts (just use a new email if you’ve previously been a subscriber). Or one month is like $8, and that’s plenty of time to watch all three seasons. 

Oh...I never used hulu so I can get the free trial. Ok...I probably should have looked into this a bit more lol. Thanks 

On 6/28/2024 at 4:23 PM, Best said:

I can't spend more money on a streaming service so I'll never see this which sucks. 

If by chance you have an Amex Platinum card you can get a $20 credit per month for Hulu/D+ if you use it to pay for it. Makes it free for me

10 hours ago, Siebzehn said:

If by chance you have an Amex Platinum card you can get a $20 credit per month for Hulu/D+ if you use it to pay for it. Makes it free for me

Thank you but I don't have a Amex Platinum card. I also already pay for D+ on it's own. 

I'll get a free trial of Hulu and watch this then cancel it. 

25 minutes ago, Best said:

Thank you but I don't have a Amex Platinum card. I also already pay for D+ on it's own. 

I'll get a free trial of Hulu and watch this then cancel it. 

Since you already have D+, the Hulu bundle is only a couple dollars more, and you can access most of it within the D+ app, so one less thing to juggle. Just another option to consider.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Since you already have D+, the Hulu bundle is only a couple dollars more, and you can access most of it within the D+ app, so one less thing to juggle. Just another option to consider.

Ok good. I'll do this. Thanks 

This season was not my favorite if I'm being honest. A whole lot of build up with a whole lot of nothing as pay off. It is great set up for next season for sure but damn I was hoping for a bit more at the end there.

Also had the weakest episode of the series for me (Ice Chips).

I do love Joel McHale as an absolute piece of shit though

• Halal 1

I agree with Siebzehn and others online that this was a really good season, but a step down from seasons 1+ 2 depending on what you want out of this show. To me, it seemed like the showrunners now expect to get a decent number of seasons out of The Bear so they spent this season to do a character building season. Different episodes focus solely on one character (Marcus, Sydney, Richie, Natalie, etc.) and really fleshes them out so you care more about what happens to them in future seasons. This season took the time to be what might be considered "filler" episodes in older shows that used to do the 20+ episodes per season thing where you could "waste" an episode just hanging out with and spending time with a character to understand them better or see what they are like outside of their role for the main story, like the character just wasting time with their parents or friends, etc.

This season was that for The Bear. And I enjoyed it on that level a lot. But, as amazing as all the music, acting and filmmaking was, this season could have at least showed us the outcome of the restaurant review or done more with Claire since that was something they seeded throughout the season. A lack of resolution on these main two points deflated things a little. All that being said, this is still The Bear and it's still one of the best shows on TV either way.

I think it’s undeniable that this season lost some momentum, but I didn’t mind because it mostly felt natural. The first two seasons had very natural beginning and end points. But now, the restaurant is open and people love it. There isn’t as much of a clear narrative thrust anymore, which is fine with me. I love these characters and I like spending time with them more or less regardless of the context, and the filmmaking is still top tier TV. 

• Halal 1

About four episodes in so far, and while the intensity is ratcheted up to an 11 (I've had some almost tangible feelings of anxiety throughout many of the episodes so far) in a way that gives every episode a frenetic and pulpable sense of tension, it doesn't feel as though there's a tremendous amount of narrative thrust so far.

It's really interesting, in how in many ways I probably would be inclined to use the term "filler" to describe some of the episodes, although there is a really dissonant feeling in using that word to describe an ep (or multiple eps) that leave me feeling as drained as these have.  It's almost as though I find myself taking a deep soothing breath as the end credits roll.

• Halal 1

I think this season was brilliant. I see a very steady and intentional hand in so many choices being made. Yes, you don't get to see the review. Yes, all the flashes of the reviews are all in Carmy's head as his mood swings all over the place. This season is a proper tease that also fleshed out a lot of untread background. It did it well, and it even had some fun with the endless procession of new Faks popping up! Who will play Franny Fak?! This season will be appreciated so much more when this show finally wraps up. For now though, we're all frustrated with the lack of resolution and that my friends is the fucking point. The writer and the great performances put us all exactly where Carmy, Sydney, and Richie are, namely, what now? I'm flat out, but what now? Life isn't fair and neither is the Bear. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

This season will be appreciated so much more when this show finally wraps up. 

I completely buy that, I was just left wanting a bit more right now. Not disappointed per se, just was expecting more resolution to a few things.

• Hugs 1

17 minutes ago, Siebzehn said:

I completely buy that, I was just left wanting a bit more right now. Not disappointed per se, just was expecting more resolution to a few things.

100% get that feeling too! :cry:

Why is culinary culture so fucked? I know that not everything is like The Bear, but I've seen similar themes in basically everything having to do with food service. Every industry with actual stakes has figured out that unnecessary stress, pressure, and abuse worsens performance and outcomes. It seems like the industry has a collective Napoleon complex, and I legitimately don't understand it.

Anyway, great first episode.

6 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Will Marvel make this guy the new Wolverine already!?

That might get me to actually watch a Marvel movie.

As a big fan of the film Burnt, anyone else get giddy when the photo of Bradley Cooper in the movie Burnt shows up in the finale? It was hard to tell if the show was saying that the whichever chef put the picture up is a fan of the fictional movie and character or, even better, is Burnt and Cooper's character in that film, Adam, real and his character could show up in The Bear at some point? Man, that would be rad. He shows up in a montage of other, actually famous chefs who appear on the show as themselves (or fictionalized versions of themselves) and then suddenly a completely fictional chef in Bradley Cooper's character implies more than one would think. Chef universe? Add the movie Chef next? Maybe Boiling Point? Ratatoille??

WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

The Bear season 3 has a photo montage of celebrity chefs, alongside an odd photo cameo from Bradley Cooper as a troubled chef in the 2015 movie Burnt.