Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm on chapter 6 already (only 14 chapters total) 10 hours or so in. I just hit Costa del sol. I'm about to hit the beach with Barret.

BUT I hate games that force you to play their mini games and it does it here for you to advance the main plot. The thing that sucked was I didn't play this card game on the cruise ship so when I got to land they forced me to play it and I had absolutely no idea what the rules were lol.

So in order for me to beat this card game I had to memorize my card placement to beat 3 challenges. It was ridiculous and time consuming. But I got through it and ready to play tomorrow morning at a good spot. 

It says it takes 41 hours to beat this game when only focusing on the main story. So I'm iffy on that the way things are going. 

Shit I’m still exploring the first area trying to do everything lol

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Shit I’m still exploring the first area trying to do everything lol

If I do that I end up dropping the game and never finishing. If it does indeed take 40 hours to beat when just focusing on the main story that's a long game for me and my short attention span. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

If I do that I end up dropping the game and never finishing. If it does indeed take 40 hours to beat when just focusing on the main story that's a long game for me and my short attention span. 

Do you ride your Chocobo or walk?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm on chapter 6 already (only 14 chapters total) 10 hours or so in. I just hit Costa del sol. I'm about to hit the beach with Barret.

BUT I hate games that force you to play their mini games and it does it here for you to advance the main plot. The thing that sucked was I didn't play this card game on the cruise ship so when I got to land they forced me to play it and I had absolutely no idea what the rules were lol.

So in order for me to beat this card game I had to memorize my card placement to beat 3 challenges. It was ridiculous and time consuming. But I got through it and ready to play tomorrow morning at a good spot. 

It says it takes 41 hours to beat this game when only focusing on the main story. So I'm iffy on that the way things are going. 

Battles are probably shorter on easy which will affect your time if you’re just doing the main quest and ignoring everything else. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I haven't been playing, only watching Max play and he's been lost in the open world sauce. It took him like 12 hours to get out of the grasslands because he did everything there and then like another 10 hours at Junon. At this pace he will be done in like a month. :p

I know watching and playing are two separate things but this game really feels like open world bloat to the extreme. Happy for the people who enjoy it but woo, to me it kind of takes away from the tight narrative that FF7 is known for. (Sure there are side thing to do but you never really get sidetracked for that long)

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I haven't been playing, only watching Max play and he's been lost in the open world sauce. It took him like 12 hours to get out of the grasslands because he did everything there and then like another 10 hours at Junon. At this pace he will be done in like a month. :p

I know watching and playing are two separate things but this game really feels like open world bloat to the extreme. Happy for the people who enjoy it but woo, to me it kind of takes away from the tight narrative that FF7 is known for. (Sure there are side thing to do but you never really get sidetracked for that long)

I get what you are saying but me personally I am enjoying the hell out of it. I’m doing absolute everything before moving onto the next area.  Currently doing side jobs and quests in Kalm. I played for 4 hours straight and if it weren’t for me getting tired I would have played for a few more. I’ll pick up in the morning. The game is really good to me and holds my interest. It has this “do one more thing” type of addictive gameplay. 

• Halal 1

Gah! I cannot get one of the fiend objectives in grasslands because you have to stagger them, but the enemies are way too weak and die well before I can stagger them. I don't know how to nerf myself.

7 minutes ago, legend said:

Gah! I cannot get one of the fiend objectives in grasslands because you have to stagger them, but the enemies are way too weak and die well before I can stagger them. I don't know how to nerf myself.

What I did was read the enemy analysis and try and do exactly what it said to set off stagger. Switching out party members and materia until I finally got it. So far I’ve only had that issue one time and it took about 5 tries and different combinations before I got the check mark. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

What I did was read the enemy analysis and try and do exactly what it said to set off stagger. Switching out party members and materia until I finally got it. So far I’ve only had that issue one time and it took about 5 tries and different combinations before I got the check mark. 

It's not that I didn't know how to stagger it, it's that they died in like 3 hits to me! Using the stagger abilities or the magic weakness (which gives lots of stagger) would nearly1 shot it.

I finally managed it by... changing to "dynamic difficulty" so that it gave them lots more health.

6 hours ago, legend said:

It's not that I didn't know how to stagger it, it's that they died in like 3 hits to me! Using the stagger abilities or the magic weakness (which gives lots of stagger) would nearly1 shot it.

I finally managed it by... changing to "dynamic difficulty" so that it gave them lots more health.

glad you got it

• Hugs 1

56 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I still am not understanding synergies. Is it rare to get that ability to show up in a fight? I think I'm doing everything right. 

There are synergy skills and there are synergy abilities. Synergy skills you can do whenever by pressing a button when you're guarding.

Synergy abilities require each of the teammates to a number of abilities to build up those tick marks and then you can use the synergy abilities from the synergy menu which will show you how may ticks each character has. It's in the manual and I think the combat simulator.

If you're not controlling your other party members a lot, they probably aren't using many abilities and won't give you opportunity to use the synergy abilities.

31 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Man, game as hit a road block with these bullshit minigames and activities they force you to do to get on the beach. This will knock my score down. 

Maybe the game is telling you to slow down and not rush it? :p 

But honestly, you're just going to be in a minority here. One of the things the OG FF7 was famous (and loved) for was having lots of different mini games, especially in the gold saucer, and this game is bringing it back!

5 minutes ago, legend said:

But honestly, you're just going to be in a minority here. One of the things the OG FF7 was famous (and loved) for was having lots of different mini games, especially in the gold saucer, and this game is bringing it back!

It's kind of like I was saying earlier. They threw the kitchen sink at this game. There is like a mini game for everything it seems.

I really think this game in particular (more so than remake) is much more for the fans.

I don't care what anyone says these games should be OPTIONAL! Forcing me to play this shit is garbage gaming. What a disappointment after the game was going so well. I've been playing these games for almost 3 hours haha 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I don't care what anyone says these games should be OPTIONAL! Forcing me to play this shit is garbage gaming. What a disappointment after the game was going so well. I've been playing these games for almost 3 hours haha 

Did you do the one with Barret?

Spoiler

Technically it's just Cloud, the shooting gallery.

:sickos:

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Did you do the one with Barret?

Reveal hidden contents

:sickos:

Yea, I did that last night. I'm being serious I've spent 3 hours playing games in order to move the story along. I'm not rushing in any way this is just bad game design. 

I'll forgive these hours if the game takes off afterwards. But yea making excuses for this game that it's intentionally there for fans etc is fuckin lame. All of this bullshit is mini games that should be optional. Jesus. 

How does the combat feel in Remake/Rebirth? I only played XVI for like 3 hours because the enemies felt like absurd damage sponges, and the combat really wasn’t fun as a result. Do these games have the same thing going on?

11 minutes ago, Chris- said:

How does the combat feel in Remake/Rebirth? I only played XVI for like 3 hours because the enemies felt like absurd damage sponges, and the combat really wasn’t fun as a result. Do these games have the same thing going on?

No, I've loved the combat since Remake but was pretty disappointed in the stale 16 combat. In Rebirth, it's much the same as 7R, but expanded a bit more.

* There are many more spells/skills/abilities than 16

* The stagger system is much better implemented. (In 16, it was just a cycle of stagger before you could do damage, here there are specific abilities for pressuring and staggering that vary by enemy, but it isn't the only way to fight.)

* You have a party of 3 to play with and in more challenging scenarios, the design of the combat encourages you to frequently switch between them.

* The "cool down" is so much fucking better than 16. 16 has long as annoying cooldowns. 7R/Rebirth use ATB (inspired by the OG of course) where the ATB is a common resource for any ability. It fills up on its own, but fills up *much* faster when you do active damage, parry, etc. allowing your to get off moves quickly. And some builds allow you to build up at insanely fast speeds. (Tifa builds up ATB crazy fast in general). This system is part of what encourages frequent switching between party members.

* Each character plays differently

* It's real time with pause (well, slow way the fuck down rather than complete pause I suppose), which lends itself better to having more strategy like the OG in addition to the real-time combat

* Lots of different Materia and Materia synergies to customize your build

* Much more varied skill trees to customize your character

* Weapons do not become instantly obsolete with the newest one, because they all keep leveling and have different trade offs

* Rebirth adds "synergy" skills and abilities which are special moves you can do with different teammates. The skills can be done at will in real time. The abilities require using regular abilities of each character to build up a resource on both to use for the synergy abilities.

The 7R/Rebirth combat style is what I was really hoping the indefinitely postponed KOTOR remake would use. 

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I lol’d thinking of @best3444 sitting there playing these mini games. You must have really hated the Queens Blood card game 🤣

Well I skipped the tutorial for queens blood then afterwards was forced to play it without knowing the rules.😄 

I finished the mini games up and hit chapter 7. It's gunna get good from here. Yuffie just officially joined our party and she is adorable. 

I still absolutely love this game so I'll stay positive. It just took me by surprise with the over flow of mandatory mini games. Oh well. 

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well I skipped the tutorial for queens blood then afterwards was forced to play it without knowing the rules.😄 

I finished the mini games up and hit chapter 7. It's gunna get good from here. Yuffie just officially joined our party and she is adorable. 

I still absolutely love this game so I'll stay positive. It just took me by surprise with the over flow of mandatory mini games. Oh well. 

You’ll be finished long before me. I just hit chapter 3 but got lots of Kalm City quests to do and a few more locations in the Grass Area to find. 

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

You’ll be finished long before me. I just hit chapter 3 but got lots of Kalm City quests to do and a few more locations in the Grass Area to find. 

Well at the pace I'm going I think I will tackle some side quests. All locations I've visited are open to fast travel right now. I will hit up Kalm and check out the grasslands too. Junon and Costa del sol are open to me now, too. 

50 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well at the pace I'm going I think I will tackle some side quests. All locations I've visited are open to fast travel right now. I will hit up Kalm and check out the grasslands too. Junon and Costa del sol are open to me now, too. 

It’s really simple doing things because all you do is fast travel somewhere close to where you need to go and pin it on the map. I think I have 3 more locations/things to find in Grass Area research and all that will be complete. And a few side quests in Kalm. I’ll play more tonight when I get home. The game is fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

It’s really simple doing things because all you do is fast travel somewhere close to where you need to go and pin it on the map. I think I have 3 more locations/things to find in Grass Area research and all that will be complete. And a few side quests in Kalm. I’ll play more tonight when I get home. The game is fantastic. 

Is the stories in the side quests worth it though? I don't need to level up etc if that's all there worth.