Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

6 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Wait, disregard the previous message. Apparently it was still installing as I was playing. Now my PS5 is dead quiet again.

It's a massive game. 145GB and it installs two different times according to my experience. So yea, it was loud because it was still downloading. Now enjoy the game!

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hide contents

It was after the plate fell, and Aerith was there with Tifa + Barrett + RedXIII in the report 

Yeah it's interesting.

Spoiler

Like the whispers time traveled Zach (and the olther Cloud) weeks into the future when he didn't die.

It's messy, but I'm still into it.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Yeah it's interesting.

Hide contents

Like the whispers time traveled Zach's weeks into the future when he didn't die.

Spoiler

And brought a still unconscious Cloud with him.

Really interested to see where this goes and hoping it’s not Kingdom Hearts type nonsense :p 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, best3444 said:

😆 Also, I've been forgetting to ask this but why does every character have short fangs? Is that a Japanese cultural thing?

Guys have any idea about this?

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Like, human canine teeth?

Yes! In cutscenes EVERY character has this. I mean they don't hide it. Pay attention to cutscenes and the characters teeth. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Yes! In cutscenes EVERY character has this. I mean they don't hide it. Pay attention to cutscenes and the characters teeth. 

I mean, is that what they are? Canine teeth or incisors? 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, is that what they are? Canine teeth or incisors? 

Definitely canine teeth. It's extremely obvious but I really pat attention to details on characters. 

Also, 

Spoiler

It looks like they went away with how you upgrade weapons which I'm not liking atm. It's a bit complicated to me. I preferred the upgrade screen in Remake. Anyone else feel like this or is it just me?

Between getting back into Bloodborne, wanting to FINALLY go through GoW Ragnarok then Rise of Ronin, then Dragons Dogma 2 the same day.. There's ALMOST no chance I'll play this any time soon. Maybe the ginormous difference between performance and visual will be ironed out by then

31 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Also, 

Hide contents

It looks like they went away with how you upgrade weapons which I'm not liking atm. It's a bit complicated to me. I preferred the upgrade screen in Remake. Anyone else feel like this or is it just me?

There's one character where his teeth are supposed to be that way but I won't spoil anything

2 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Between getting back into Bloodborne, wanting to FINALLY go through GoW Ragnarok then Rise of Ronin, then Dragons Dogma 2 the same day.. There's ALMOST no chance I'll play this any time soon. Maybe the ginormous difference between performance and visual will be ironed out by then

It's so good doe. You know you want to play this tonight!

26 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Not really tbh. I definitely will at some point but I've learned how to swim in a backlog and I better stick to that lest I drown

I know. Do you. I've been playing for 4 hours straight. It's a tremendous game. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Also, 

Hide contents

That’s one thing I really like about the game! lol

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

@Spork3245
@legend

The timeframe also seems a little screwy.  I thought it was weeks after that Cloud joined up with Barrett and co.

Hide contents

...Unless it took Zach weeks to carry Cloud into Midgar, lol.

Yeah either

Spoiler

Zack + Cloud is brought into a parallel world a few weeks into the future

Or

Zack + Cloud is brought into a parallel world where it takes them weeks to walk back to Midgar for some funny reason :p 

I played 5 hours straight. I haven't done that since TOTK. This game is absolutely incredible and deserving of the 93 score at opencritic. It's NEVER tedious and I'm ALWAYS wanting to know what happens next. 

I'm struggling to activate my synergies abilities. How do you do that? I thought you held R1 and went from there but nothing happened at a boss fight when I was doing that. 

• Hype 1

Game is pretty good so far, I'm about 7 hours in. I have the game on graphics mode and the game still looks kind of muddy and washed out with significant pop in for small plants and animals. I widened the camera/FOV as much as I could which helps (both in and out of battle), as well as slowing down the camera responsiveness to 2, which helped with motion blur and helped the game look better too. The other two things I did to help make the graphics look better was I lowered the brightness as much as the game allowed - I usually up the brightness with games but here everything just became too washed out. Additionally, with my TV the HDR Luminescence setting was maxed out to 10, I dropped it to about a 4-5 which significantly helped with the colors in the game. I recommend all of these changes to help make the game look much better. The locked 30fps at all times of graphics mode is more than good enough for me. But yeah, it is surprising that the game doesn't look better, like the entire graphics needed one more post-processing pass or additional textures need to load in or something.

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I have 0 complaints about the visuals and it looks phenomenal. I'm on an OLED so maybe that makes a difference? It definitely never looks washed out in graphics mode. 

Well, the experts disagree with you: 

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Oliver Mackenzie presents Digital Foundry's tech review of Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. How does this UE4 title take advant…

I'm talking about stuff they mention in the article like:

"Unfortunately, there are some areas where Rebirth is just treading water relative to its four-year old predecessor - and quite a few spots where we've actually seen a step back. Environmental lighting tends to be a serious pain point here. To be fair, many environments look perfectly fine - including the game's cities, which can exhibit decent precalculated lighting, and some of the larger open-world spaces, which look fine while relying more heavily on real-time techniques. Some of the interiors can look quite nice as well, at least when judged from a distance.

Low resolution textures can also be problematic. Of course, FF7 Remake had a lot of issues with texturing in its PS4 incarnation, but Intergrade on PS5 mostly solved these issues. For Rebirth though, there's a bizarre mixture of low and high resolution assets. Most of the dodgy texture work comes in the Mount Nibelheim ascent in chapter one, which has a lot of textures that need improvement. You will spot the occasional low-res asset from time to time elsewhere, but the game's first stage has the lion's share of texturing issues."

It's all very obvious. Compare this to Horizon: Forbidden West and there's no competition here. I don't mind but it is surprising. I mean, the ocean water alone in the game looks like ass. And if you read the comments to the article they feel DF is being too easy on the game.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, the experts disagree with you: 

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Oliver Mackenzie presents Digital Foundry's tech review of Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. How does this UE4 title take advant…

I'm talking about stuff they mention in the article like:

"Unfortunately, there are some areas where Rebirth is just treading water relative to its four-year old predecessor - and quite a few spots where we've actually seen a step back. Environmental lighting tends to be a serious pain point here. To be fair, many environments look perfectly fine - including the game's cities, which can exhibit decent precalculated lighting, and some of the larger open-world spaces, which look fine while relying more heavily on real-time techniques. Some of the interiors can look quite nice as well, at least when judged from a distance.

Low resolution textures can also be problematic. Of course, FF7 Remake had a lot of issues with texturing in its PS4 incarnation, but Intergrade on PS5 mostly solved these issues. For Rebirth though, there's a bizarre mixture of low and high resolution assets. Most of the dodgy texture work comes in the Mount Nibelheim ascent in chapter one, which has a lot of textures that need improvement. You will spot the occasional low-res asset from time to time elsewhere, but the game's first stage has the lion's share of texturing issues."

It's all very obvious. Compare this to Horizon: Forbidden West and there's no competition here. I don't mind but it is surprising. I mean, the ocean water alone in the game looks like ass. And if you read the comments to the article they feel DF is being too easy on the game.

Yes the ocean water was really disappointing to me. The water in general is. Yes, there are bad textures but the overall visual package is nice to me. I watched the entire digital foundry tech review and know whats up. I'm just satisfied. 

• True 1