Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Sounds like every aspect of the game is excellent, which is what I expected . . . except the story, which I only skimmed to get an idea overall if it was good, and it sounds like it is and it isn't. Fortunately the reviews I scanned didn't spoil a thing but that seemed to be the only real issue people had with the game (that and some forced stealth sections it sounds like). Glad I could be wrong about the story but it doesn't sound like a slam dunk on that front either.

Easy Allies said that the story is phenomenal and will keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire thing. They have the best reviews in the business so I'm taking their word for it. 

34 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Man I really wish these reviewers could cut the “game of the year” candidate shit out and just review the game. Or stop trying to place it in context of best game ever / best game of last decade. Just stop. 

I’m happy people are liking it though. I need to decide if I want to get it at launch or wait for a price drop. Leaning toward the latter just to finish some other stuff up.

Okay Debbie Downer

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Easy Allies said that the story is phenomenal and will keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire thing. They have the best reviews in the business so I'm taking their word for it. 

Well it sounds more like the story is great until the end, which is divisive, just like the first game. I liked the idea of turning a remake into a metafictional sequel (it's certainly ballsy to trick and piss off your entire fanbase, which I like), but that is a tough story to write well (even The Matrix Resurrections was divisive due to how hard this is to do). That's my only concern and Tetsuya Nomura doesn't have my confidence on this one. Other than that one part though I expect the game is phenomenal.

• Halal 1

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Well it sounds more like the story is great and the end is divisive, just like the first game. I like the idea of turning a remake into a metafictional sequel, but that is a tough story to write well (even The Matrix Resurrections was divisive due to how hard this is to do). That's my only concern.

Yea I get you. The 3rd act probably will end better than these first 2. It's the nature of the beast when doing stories like this. 

I'm actually playing both demos shortly because I am more hyped about this than I anticipated. I need my fix.  😩 

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Yea I get you. The 3rd act probably will end better than these first 2. It's the nature of the beast when doing stories like this. 

I'm actually playing both demos shortly because I am more hyped about this than I anticipated. I need my fix.  😩 

You are going to be blown away by the gameplay improvements. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well it sounds more like the story is great until the end, which is divisive, just like the first game. I liked the idea of turning a remake into a metafictional sequel (it's certainly ballsy to trick and piss off your entire fanbase, which I like), but that is a tough story to write well (even The Matrix Resurrections was divisive due to how hard this is to do). That's my only concern and Tetsuya Nomura doesn't have my confidence on this one. Other than that one part though I expect the game is phenomenal.

I’m reading it’s reviewer dependent, some actually loved it.  (Siliconera’s was one)

They already did a divisive ending once, and there’s no getting off this train, so I’m here for it. 

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I’m reading it’s reviewer dependent, some actually loved it.  (Siliconera’s was one)

They already did a divisive ending once, and there’s no getting off this train, so I’m here for it. 

I'm completely down for a divisive ending, I'm worried about them writing a poor one. They did a solid enough job blowing the doors open to some timey-wimey nonsense that could be done really well or really poorly, hence my concern. Multiverse stuff can get dumb really quick, and lose stakes for the characters fast. I'm impressed with the ideas they've introduced metafictionally, but Nomura doesn't have my confidence, but I'm open to being surprised.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Okay Debbie Downer

Thinking of each game release as “does this game have a chance to win GOTY” is a useless way to approach the supposed professional review of a game, and I immediately become skeptical of a critic who views a game through that lens. And if the phrase “one of the best games of all time / decade / what have you” was sparingly used, it would be fine. But every really good game that comes out inevitably gets called that anymore. And I just don’t believe they have actually given it real thought / can’t contextualize what that means (or won’t cuz they actually haven’t thought about it). 

It reminds me of how any Super Bowl that is close is almost always gets named the best one ever like 5 mins after it has ended. People just say it and so it must be true. 

I think you need the passage of like a year or two to really make any statement like that. Our brains are too stupid to be able to put that kind of thing in context without recency bias. 

None of this is a shot at FF7 I’m just annoyed by the general trend. 

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Thinking of each game release as “does this game have a chance to win GOTY” is a useless way to approach the supposed professional review of a game, and I immediately become skeptical of a critic who views a game through that lens. And if the phrase “one of the best games of all time / decade / what have you” was sparingly used, it would be fine. But every really good game that comes out inevitably gets called that anymore. And I just don’t believe they have actually given it real thought / can’t contextualize what that means (or won’t cuz they actually haven’t thought about it). 

It reminds me of how any Super Bowl that is close is almost always gets named the best one ever like 5 mins after it has ended. People just say it and so it must be true. 

I think you need the passage of like a year or two to really make any statement like that. Our brains are too stupid to be able to put that kind of thing in context without recency bias. 

None of this is a shot at FF7 I’m just annoyed by the general trend. 

I see what you’re saying. I am just excited to play another excellent rpg and get lost in the world. 

I am off next Friday. Gonna play the shit outta this. I went thru all the Battle Simulator things last night and got some cool Materia. Can't wait to explore this world. Remake had horrible exploration but this game fixed this. Also the music is fucking amazing. 

• Hype 1

41 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Johnny's Mom has terminal cancer and has another month to live. I love this guy. I have watched him for so may years. Watch the video it hits hard.

I watch this guy all the time. When I initially read this post I thought Johnny had terminal cancer and was going to die. So I watched this review waiting for him to say it then he said his mother. That made me feel a bit better but by no means is it a good thing. He's a great guy so him losing his father at the release of FF7 27 years ago then losing his mother when Rebirth released is sad. 

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

If I have completed everything in both demos do I need to keep it or can I delete it? Was wondering if anything carries over to the actual game. 

Should carry over.  I think this is what SquareEnix does now by default.

• Thanks 1

Having save data from the demo on your PS5 will grant you a number of items to use in the full release of Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. You’ll get the Kupo Charm — an accessory that boosts how many resources you receive — plus a smattering of potions, ethers, and other items, referred to as the “survival set.”

Completing the Nibelheim episode will allow you to skip that segment in the full game. Any progress made during the Junon area, however, won’t carry over; that particular section has been “altered to make the content more compact,” so it’s not representative of what you’ll experience in Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth.

https://www.polygon.com/final-fantasy-7-rebirth-ff7r-guide/24064763/demo-length-progress-carry-over-download

Before I looked it up I wanted to say it is not a guarantee because you don't quite know where the game actually picks up. Which seems to be the Nibelheim part.

That being said you can delete the demo but keep the save.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Those that played the demo, you playing on performance or graphics setting? The performance is nice but still washed out. I think I'm sticking with graphics.

I'm an hour and half in the demo. 

Performance. On normal you gotta have smoothness or you will get lit up by bosses. Well me anyhow.

Performance is too washed out. It's a pretty drastic difference between quality. 

I died at the boss and put it on easy. I don't have any skill anymore and I rather enjoy myself. The combat stays the same. I'm 2 hours in and might need to take a break. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Performance is too washed out. It's a pretty drastic difference between quality. 

I died at the boss and put it on easy. I don't have any skill anymore and I rather enjoy myself. The combat stays the same. I'm 2 hours in and might need to take a break. 

play it however you want. its about fun not trying to impress people.