"What Has Happened to All the Video Games?" - gamesindustry.biz article

Annotation_2022_06_15_111338.png
WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

As the industry braces itself for a quiet 2022, and with more major games getting delayed, we ask developers about the challenges they are facing

There was a sense of optimism at the start of 2022 that this was going to be a banner year for video games.

The first few months were full of major releases: Pokémon, Elden Ring, Horizon, Gran Turismo, Dying Light, to name just a handful. And although the slate beyond that was uncertain, there were some big titles due over the year. The two biggest (outside of annual titles like Call of Duty) was Starfield and The Legend of Zelda.

But both games have been delayed, the release schedule has dried up, and the majority of game reveals over the last month have been for titles due in 2023. It's not true to say there is nothing coming out this year, but there is little on a scale that media owners and retailers were hoping for.

So what's going on? Ask any developer and they'll tell you that we're witnessing the repercussions of COVID-19. Yet with the movie and TV industry continuing to deliver major releases, what is it about games that means we're still struggling some two years since the pandemic started?

This one made me smirk:

The Cyberpunk warning

The quality drop is the biggest concern. Our Canadian developer observes: "Look at the games that didn't get delayed or when the teams weren't given more time. The best two examples I can think of is Battlefield 2042 and Call of Duty: Vanguard. They came out on time, right? Same time they always do. But they disappointed. And that's not my opinion, that's the Metacritic score speaking. That's not right. These are some of the best game studios in the world."

Indeed, it is possible -- as the likes of Battlefield and Call of Duty have proved -- to still hit your schedules and get your game out. But publishers and developers are, broadly speaking, less willing to release a title that isn't ready.

"We took one look at what happened to Cyberpunk 2077 and thought 'yep, we're delaying this'," says a US game director from one of the world's biggest game franchises. "CD Projekt is one of the most respected games studios in the world. And they released a game so broken that Sony pulled it from their own digital store. That's unprecedented. That's humiliating. We knew our game wasn't in the best shape, maybe we could patch it up with a Day One update... but we saw Cyberpunk and decided it wasn't worth the risk. I suspect that was a wake-up call across the industry."

I think it has been past time for delays to become regular occurrence again. It’s about time developers stopped taking the Fallout 76 approach, and releasing broken ass games they know they’re going to have to spend 6 months to a year fixing and completing.

one of the things the industry needs to look at next is management. Stop changing directions 8 times in development. Stop feature creep causing a game that’s untenable to make and support. 

• True 2

Scrubbed through release dates, these are the AAA games coming this year after the shows:

Xenoblade 3
Saints Row
Splatoon 3
The Last of Us Remake
Overwatch 2
Marvel's Midnight Suns
Forspoken (...doubt)
Gotham Knights
CoD:MW2
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
The Castillo Protocol
Sonic Frontiers
Hogwarts Legacy
Mario + Rabbids Spark of Hope (... doubt)

Annualized sports games as well, but that's a given.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Scrubbed through release dates, these are the AAA coming this year after the shows:

Xenoblade 3
Saints Row
Splatoon 3
The Last of Us Remake
Overwatch 2
Marvel's Midnight Suns
Forspoken (...doubt)
Gotham Knights
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
The Castillo Protocol
Sonic Frontiers
Hogwarts Legacy

Not amazing but if that all hits and considering the first few months this year, ain’t bad.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Scrubbed through release dates, these are the AAA coming this year after the shows:

Saints Row
Splatoon 3
The Last of Us Remake (if on pc in 22
Forspoken (...doubt, also doubt)
Gotham Knights
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
The Castillo Protocol
Sonic Frontiers
Hogwarts Legacy

I want those ones and GOW2 if it comes out, decent haul. Nintendo could still have a surprise or two.

28 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

When you don’t have to worry about optimization because the fans accept it running at 320p/15fps, all games could be pushed up. 

I can't wait to get my copy and rip it on my hacked switch, load it on a flash drive, put it on my Neo or Deck and marvel at 720p.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

When you don’t have to worry about optimization because the fans accept it running at 320p/15fps, all games could be pushed up. 

I have some faith this won’t run as poorly as Xenoblade 2 did.  Just played through Torna on the 4K TV and it was fine.  The pixelated depth of field effects caught me more off guard more than the performance did.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Does deck actually emulate demanding switch games at 720p already?

Depends on the game. I have success with Xenoblade 1 and 2. They do have some errors but run at 30FPS. I'm ecited to see what the 6800u can do and the future 7800u.

• stepee 1