Steam Next Fest (Not-E3 Demos)

crispy4000

611028f8922fc728e00c35deeea29698dfa2e8c8
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

A celebration of upcoming games, featuring demos, livestreams and more

Dropping at 12pm PST today.

There's also some Future Games Show demos already available now.  Melatonin is one of them, which @Ghost_MH recommended.

8a431a3a6520d95f3b2e8584fa94c1128286c0e8
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Join us now for over 60 minutes of new trailers, world premieres, and surprises as the summer of gaming continues

Yeah, I'd recommend Melatonin to anyone that enjoyed the the Rhythm Heaven games. It's exactly the same kind of game, but swapping the zany pop for chill lofi beats. The presentation is super clean. I'm a fan of what I saw playing my way through the levels available in the demo.

My playlist so far:

- Beneath Oresa

- Gestalt Steam Cinder
- Ghost Song
- Anger Foot
- Agent 64
- Verge World
- Spark the Electric Jester 3
- Lego Brawls
- Cursed to Golf
- Nine Sols
- Slopecrashers
- Hell Pie
- You Suck at Parking
- Midnight Fight Express

- Frogun

- NAIAD
- Koa and the Five Pirates

ss_68610c0e8bd04699cdd5ddc2b1d47aa66929c

Slopecrashers - There's some real potential here.  It's like if Snowboard Kids was more like SSX.  Some parts of it definitely feel low budget, but they got the controls mostly right, which is what I care most about.  Hopefully they spruce it up a bit and don't rush it out.

ss_fc1a4429e84129646b4dd5e116ac40f815d8e

Koa and the Five Pirates - A slightly more polished Mail Mole.  Generally speaking that's a good thing.  Should be one to watch of you liked 3D World/Land, but I'm not expecting it to be a must play.

ss_b11fa92b9014e5a183a9f5e7d87a7224535b6

Agent 64 - I enjoyed an older demo, and it's only improved since.  They somehow make it look like a modern N64 game without being gross or too pandering.  The controls are literally perfect as well.  Play this, it's fantastic and fun, even if you have no nostalgia for Goldeneye.

ss_e93700e76452b25506e873ce58ec2e4682d2d

Spark and the Electric Jester 3 - Feels slightly better than modern Sonic in some ways, but it comes off as cheap knock off due to the poor level design and environment visuals.  Bit of a let down, but not totally unexpected.

ss_6960a0121de4d96c23b2648a60a68a2e4fc4d

Beneath Oresa - Yes, yes, yes, good stuff.  My highlight so far.  The visual presentation is damn cool, and the card game elements seem like they work well, if not quite as elegantly as Slay the Spire.  I wanted to play more, but they cut the demo off before the first 'boss.'  This is definitely on my radar.

ss_133a5fb195c174843b6942132b1afce9b2a7d

Anger Foot - Need to play it further to form a solid opinion.  It's Hotline Miami in first person essentially.  I feel like I suck at it though, so that dampened the fun a bit.  It's definitely worth trying out.

Verge World - Crap controls, ugly game. Skip.

ss_1aeaad6ad15b93f247d121428c30bc6ddf14f

Hell Pie - I really wanted to like this, and to its credit, the controls feel pretty good.  But instead of being like Conker's Bad Fur Day, it just tries to be gross and unappealing without hurmor.  It also veers into standard 3D platformer visual territory (see the above).  Not a good combo.

ss_d754014801f69799bf961698bd424508d008a

Frogun - Completely opposite Hell Pie in the best possible way.  You can grapple onto any wall you point at, grab items and enemies and throw them like Yoshi.  The retro look works well for it, since it matches the gameplay style well.  Give it a shot if you're at all interested.  Turn off the ugly default filter.

Metal Helsinger also incredible. I love rhythm games and action games but have found the two generally don't mesh all that well. I own rhythm mash-up games like BPM and crypt of the necrodancer and they're ok but nothing special imo.

Metal hellsinger blends the two seemlessly, being slightly off-beat isn't nearly as punishing as other similar concept games but it greatly rewards timing by allowing you to do more damage and increase your combo multiplier.

The game also has online leaderboards so anyone who loves chasing highcores is going to be in love with this game.

The production values are topnotch. I don't love metal (it's ok) but I was rocking out to this.

Highly recommend checking this out if you like rhythm based games and shooters

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

ss_1aeaad6ad15b93f247d121428c30bc6ddf14f

Hell Pie - I really wanted to like this, and to its credit, the controls feel pretty good.  But instead of being like  Conker's Bad Fur Day, it just tries to be gross and unappealing without hurmor.  It also veers into standard 3D platformer visual territory (see the above).  Not a good combo.

ss_d754014801f69799bf961698bd424508d008a

Frogun - Completely opposite Hell Pie in the best possible way.  You can grapple onto any wall you point at, grab items and enemies and throw them like Yoshi.  The retro look works well for it, since it matches the gameplay style well.  Give it a shot if you're at all interested.  Turn off the ugly default filter.

Pumped for Frogun, glad it’s feeling good.

On 6/13/2022 at 3:32 PM, crispy4000 said:

My playlist so far:

- Beneath Oresa

- Gestalt Steam Cinder
- Ghost Song
- Anger Foot
- Agent 64
- Verge World
- Spark the Electric Jester 3
- Lego Brawls
- Cursed to Golf
- Nine Sols
- Slopecrashers
- Hell Pie
- You Suck at Parking
- Midnight Fight Express

- Frogun

- NAIAD

I seen Gestalt in the video but not to download :thinking:

ss_50aa01ef276923a3f771f255433656f62561a

You Suck at Parking - Overhead driving game where you 'park' whenever you fully stop.  The goal is to stop in parking spaces, and you have limited gas to get there.  Works in concept, but once they ramp the difficulty up with boost pads (that waste gas) it becomes a pain.

ss_a75d7b92a1129603139cea737ee8c9eb6a284

Nine Sols - It's not a Metroidvania, but rather a straight up action game with some story layered on top.  Combat boils down to executing parries then a specific follow up counter to do any major damage.  It's slick in presentation, could end up being great, but I'm not the biggest fan of its gimmick.

On 6/13/2022 at 11:57 PM, crispy4000 said:

ss_6960a0121de4d96c23b2648a60a68a2e4fc4d

Beneath Oresa - Yes, yes, yes, good stuff.  My highlight so far.  The visual presentation is damn cool, and the card game elements seem like they work well, if not quite as elegantly as Slay the Spire.  I wanted to play more, but they cut the demo off before the first 'boss.'  This is definitely on my radar.

Agreed Slay the spire but with an actual story and higher production value. Also a big fan of the art style.

At the moment it's a little rough around the edges (missing some pretty basic QoL stuff) but I think this is going to turn out great, can't wait. 

• Halal 1

22 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

ss_50aa01ef276923a3f771f255433656f62561a

You Suck at Parking - Overhead driving game where you 'park' whenever you fully stop.  The goal is to stop in parking spaces, and you have limited gas to get there.  Works in concept, but once they ramp the difficulty up with boost pads (that waste gas) it becomes a pain.

ss_a75d7b92a1129603139cea737ee8c9eb6a284

Nine Sols - It's not a Metroidvania, but rather a straight up action game with some story layered on top.  Combat boils down to executing parries then a specific follow up counter to do any major damage.  It's slick in presentation, could end up being great, but I'm not the biggest fan of its gimmick.

I liked Nine Sols but it's kinda a Gamepass/Humble Bundle game for me.

Ok I went through like 67 demos and I skipped a few I knew I would like (Metal Hellsinger and Ripout most notably). If anyone wants me to do a write up on any of these let me know:

Wishlisted:

Nitro Kid
Cult of the Lamb
Tyrant's Blessing
Aces and Adventurers
Absolute Tactics
Deadzoned A Credits Bounty Game
The Fabulous Fear Machine
Swordship
Verge World
Dome Keeper
Far Away from home

Will grab it if it I see it in a bundle with other stuff I want:

Nine Sols
Elsie
Fountains
Mercenaries Rebirth
Sigil of the Magi
Frogue
That Which Rises

Ninja Soul

I played Alaskan Truck Simulator. It's a bit different than ATS or ETS in that you get out of the truck and have to eat and actually hook your trailer up and stuff. It was alright but I think the other truck sims play better (or have better control options anyway) and no FOV slider so I got kinda motion sick playing it.