Anger Foot | FPS From the Creators of Broforce & Genital Jousting - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

• 1 year later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Anger Foot | FPS From the Creators of Broforce & Genital Jousting | Coming 2024 - Demo Out Now
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Anger Foot | FPS From the Creators of Broforce & Genital Jousting | Coming July, 2024
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Anger Foot | FPS From the Creators of Broforce & Genital Jousting | Coming July 11, 2024
  • 2 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Anger Foot

Platforms:

• PC (Jul 11, 2024)

Developer: Free Lives

Publisher: Devolver Digital

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 79 average - 74% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 10 / 10

Grimy, gross, and utterly silly with a healthy dose of fast-paced and fun gameplay to boot, Anger Foot is sure to kick your ass and steal your attention, as if it was a muppet in a ski mask mugging you in a back alley.

Evilgamerz - Peter Derks - Dutch - 9 / 10

Despite the somewhat high difficulty level and a number of frustrating moments when you were shot by someone off-screen, Anger Foot is a wonderful game. Finding your way is quite quick and once you have found it it is a matter of adapting your style. It is an arcade game par excellence and does everything it can to suck you into the action. If you succeed, it doesn't matter if you die a few times in a row. You just get right back up and fly through a door with your foot again to kick a fire extinguisher in someone's face. Senseless and comedic violence can feel good, but please do that while you're playing this game.

Game Informer - Marcus Stewart - 9 / 10

Defeat can be a bitter pill in Anger Foot, but I was amazed at how eager I remained to jump back in time after time. Firefights remained an exciting challenge even if I’d played it numerous times. Thwarting foes milliseconds before they pull the trigger, either by brute force or cleverly utilizing my surroundings, never ceased to feel cool. You should definitely walk a mile in these shoes.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 9 / 10

Anger Foot is filled with goofy violence and gorgeous visuals, allowing you to get creative in how you complete each level.

Hardcore Gamer - Kyle LeClair - 4.5 / 5

While there's a chance that Anger Foot might not make a perfect first impression, it's recommended that any players keep at it, as what lies within is very well one of this year's best FPS games. A twisted gem of caffeinated action that never lets up and finds new ways to challenge players while still keeping things accessible to all, this is one shooter that plays like bizarre dream that's filthy and candy-coated at the same time, with great humor, visuals and an intense soundtrack to boot. One way or another, metaphorically or literally, you'll get a terrific kick out of it.

Niche Gamer - Matt Kowalski - 9 / 10

If you haven’t wishlist Anger Foot yet, then you probably should if you don’t buy it right away. With multiple levels to each act, you can get at least 4 to 8 hrs of gameplay depending on how you play. If you want to put on the stuff to make it easier, then yes it will be faster. The characters within are comical and in a way relatable. The game’s comedy was a nice blend of the corny moments from High on Life with the action-pact pacing of Doom Eternal or Bulletstorm.

Prima Games - Ali Hashmi - 9 / 10

Anger Foot is a fantastic action game that's hilarious, frantic, and perfectly paced.

TheGamer - Andrew King - 4.5 / 5

But that's a minor gripe that stems more from my love of fictional grimy cities than anything Anger Foot is actually doing wrong. The FPS is well-paced, smartly designed, and looks like a cartoon you would joyously gulp down with a Capri-Sun after school. It can occasionally frustrate, but it gives you all the tools you need to tailor the experience to your taste. It does many things well, and it accomplishes them elegantly. That a game this focused on feet pulled all that off has got to be the gaming surprise of 2024.

TheSixthAxis - Miguel Moran - 9 / 10

Anger Foot is loud, gross, punishing, and funny as hell. It's a crime-fueled fever dream sprinkled with moments of genuine silly sincerity, and it's all connected by fast and fun foot-first combat that I couldn't get enough of.

EIP Gaming - Daniel D - 8.8 / 10

With a unique gimmick and plenty of action, Anger Foot is everything a tongue-in-cheek FPS should be: short, sweet, and to the door-kicking point.

Gameffine - Jay Krishnan - 87 / 100

With Anger Foot, Free Lives has made a unique, memorable, and above all else, a “fun” video game. It’s another testament to Devolver’s passion for publishing original, eccentric, and creative indie games. Moreover, it’s got great regional pricing on top of its replayable nature. Anger Foot— featuring feet so fine you’d think Tarantino designed them.

CGMagazine - Zubi Khan - 8.5 / 10

Anger Foot Kicks things up to 11 with its fast-paced gameplay, stylish aesthetic and bumpin' tracks, making it a must-play for fans of the genre.

Digital Chumps - Will Silberman - 8.5 / 10

While it may have kicked my ass to kingdom come, Anger Foot is a creative approach to a chaotically simple FPS that's light on the shooting and heavy on the kicking. Despite the simplicity of its controls, it is a refreshing take on an FPS that encourages players to do something other than mindlessly shoot enemies. I cannot wait to see what else Free Lives and Devolver cook up!

Noisy Pixel - Azario Lopez - 8.5 / 10

Anger Foot will be a game brought up in the same conversations as Hotline Miami and Ape Out. It’s an experience that will go down in arcade FPS history as something that existed when we needed it. And maybe I didn’t know that I needed to unwind with a game where my primary form of attack was to kick, but that’s what this turned into. It’s nice to play a game that knows how to be a game. Your skills will be tested, but like me, you’ll keep returning for more.

PC Gamer - Ted Litchfield - 85 / 100

Anger Foot is a funny, unique FPS only slightly let down by performance issues.

WellPlayed - Adam Ryan - 8.5 / 10

Fast, addictive and wildly varied, Anger Foot is an arcade booter shooter that laces up and refuses to stop kicking ass.

Worth Playing - Cody Medellin - 8.5 / 10

Anger Foot is a very good game if you're fond of its mashup of ideas. The short levels, fast speed, and mostly one-hit kills all work well with the game's offbeat and goofy nature. It's a boomer shooter that demands near-perfection in execution but has enough tools to accommodate those who may not vibe with that ideal. Anger Foot has a good campaign length and a stylized presentation, so it is a strong option for fans of pure action.

The Games Machine - Emanuele Feronato - Italian - 8.4 / 10

Anger Foot is the game that many of us wanted, but no one has had the courage to develop so far. A first-person Miami Hotline with Duke Nukem's Mighty Foot-style enemies to kick, oversaturated colors, thumping soundtrack, and several shoes to try, each with their own unique powers. There is also room for firearms, with the right degree of devastation, to traverse the levels without leaving any survivors. The indoor action is much more frenetic, getting a little lost in the outdoor sections where parkour takes over the shootout, but it remains a tremendously fun shooter/brawler.

AnaitGames - Víctor Manuel Martínez García - Spanish - 8 / 10

After Terra Nil, Free Lives returns to the macarrada with a frantic and ultra-violent arcade that subjects you to the rules of its deranged universe, getting you drunk with absurd humor and kicks.

Digitec Magazine - Philipp Rüegg - German - 4 / 5

Your most important weapon in "Anger Foot" is your powerful foot. You use it to kick criminals around at full sprint. Together with the booming techno soundtrack, this makes for a fantastic and sweat-inducing action spectacle.

Gamers Heroes - Casey Scheld - 80 / 100

Anger Foot’s fast and frantic pace is just what the podiatrist ordered. Though its bite-sized levels and twitchy gameplay aren’t for everyone, those who like to go on the offensive and nail the perfect run will enjoy stepping foot in this new territory.

IGN Italy - Francesco Destri - Italian - 8 / 10

Difficult, adrenaline-fuelled and stupid as hell, Anger Foot does not disappoint and, after the 2022 demo, kicking dumb enemies like there's no tomorrow also works in the long run.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - 8 / 10

Anger Foot is exactly what you'd expect from a Devolver Digital game. It's fun, quirky, hilarious, unapologetic, and simply a damn good time. With a straightforward premise and easy-to-learn mechanics, the game is given depth with its inventive use of sneakers and replayability to give it a much-needed kick.

Saving Content - Scott Ellison II - 4 / 5

Anger Foot takes the trial-and-error formula, and puts its best foot forward. The game does a lot with a basic concept and amps it up with modifiers, objectives, and a bumpin’ soundtrack. The game can be downright challenging at times, but being able to get past that level you were stuck on or pull off some really cool reactive feat is so satisfying. Free Lives made a really kickass game, and the unlock system gives a lot of incentive to change-up your playstyle and experiment. Anger Foot is all killer, no filler.

Screen Rant - Leo Faierman - 4 / 5

Anger Foot is a fun and frenetic FPS with a sizable campaign, only sputtering out in its brief slower segues, but remaining entertaining throughout.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Riviera - Italian - 8 / 10

Anger Foot can be considered a good successor to Hotline Miami, although it doesn't quite match it. It's not an experience for everyone, as it proves to be very challenging and often frustrating, especially for those not accustomed to this type of game. However, the great level design and high-profile artistic component make the production by Free Lives and Devolver noteworthy.

Use a Potion - 8 / 10

Anger Foot is a ton of fun, with its frantic first-person blend of kicking and shooting making for a deceptively strategic experience. The variety of footwear you unlock adds another layer of strategy to the approach you can take through levels, whilst learning the layout of each room and how to prioritise your attacks against enemies is certainly rewarding. It looks fantastic too, with its over-the-top art style suiting the zanily brutal nature of the game.

Sure, it can be a little bit guilty of feeling repetitive in places, but with an exciting gameplay loop that feels like it built for short-burst sessions, it doesn’t stop Anger Foot from being a blast to play.

BaziCenter - جواد محسنی - Persian - 8 / 10

Anger Foot combines fast-paced gameplay, cool visual design, and smart humor and offers an innovative and challenging way to experience its world, proving that even a simple, low-budget indie game can be done correctly.

Gamersky - Chinese - 7.5 / 10

Anger Foot initially impresses with its creativity, gameplay, and stylization, but these positive impressions gradually fade due to mediocre level design. While the fast-paced combat is enjoyable and the variety of sneakers that provide abilities is a clever idea, along with multiple ways to solve optional side objectives, the game's levels lack standout features. This leads to a quick loss of novelty and interest after a short time of playing.

Press Start - Ewan Roxburgh - 7.5 / 10

Anger Foot has all the makings of a cult classic. Shooting and booting your way through the bonkers assortment of enemies remains exhilarating throughout with plenty of replayability. From the cartoonish flying feet to a vaping, ski-masked adorned girlfriend, it's endearingly quirky if a little juvenile. Levels might blur together and hold it back from greatness, but if there are plans to establish a franchise of ass kickers, I'd wholeheartedly welcome the news.

Spaziogames - Marino Puntorieri - Italian - 7.5 / 10

As bizarre as it sounds, Anger Foot is quite enjoyable and, despite some technical flaws, it provides players with a wild and entertaining experience.

3DNews - Артем Терехов - Russian - 7 / 10

Kicking down doors and kicking in the snot of cartoon crime to a cheerful hardstyle is quite fun. However, with the (hefty) duration chosen, Anger Foot lacks variety in gameplay and dynamic soundtrack.

GameBlast - Alexandre Galvão - Portuguese - 7 / 10

Anger Foot is a unique and fun experience, full of action and challenges that will test your skills and reflexes. With a simple and engaging premise, the game offers a combination of intense combat and quick objectives, all set in a bizarre and captivating setting, making it a good choice for those looking for a quick and challenging game, with a hint of humor and bizarreness. Even with some technical setbacks, the fun and intensity of the action make the experience worth it.

Kakuchopurei - Lewis Larcombe - 70 / 100

For those seeking a break from the glossy realism of AAA titles and a plunge into the irreverent waters of indie gaming, Anger Foot offers a refreshing dip. It’s not flawless, but its flaws are forgivable in the face of its infectious energy and commitment to delivering a visceral if occasionally vexing, experience.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 6.5 / 10

Anger Foot is a good shooter but it's not always a compelling shooter nor the best it should be. I feel it important to give flowers to the unique use of hardstyle music and the fun implementations of new abilities granted by the different pairs of shoes you unlock. Though the polish and sheen are undeniably present with its gorgeous presentation and frenetic and fun gameplay that sees a symphony of flying kicks, bullets and grenades, it's let up by ways the game could've been better refined. The humour found within gets old after a while and it has some of the most dull and uninspired boss designs I've seen in a shooter for quite some time. Yes, the minute-to-minute is good but the pitfalls feel like a square, hard kick in the head. Ouch.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 6 / 10

Anger Foot is essentially Hotline Miami played from a first-person perspective, with your foot being your most valuable asset. As fun as kicking things with a variety of effects is, however, the action gets repetitive pretty fast, the difficulty feels unfair at times, and the soundtrack may drive you up the wall.

Shacknews - Lucas White - 6 / 10

Anger Foot has a laser-targeted feel to its approach, and I can certainly see a specific group of FPS sickos losing their minds over it. There are tons of challenge, built-in speedrunning, and lots of flashing colors. There’s enough toilet humor to decimate an underfunded transit station bathroom, too. But if you fall outside of those extremely specific (and smelly) parameters, potential interest in Anger Foot is going to plummet. I don’t see the humor being enough to encourage casual audiences to stick around, even with the ability to turn dying off. Personally, I’m happy to wash my hands, uh, literally.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 2 / 5

Anger Foot's one-note action gimmick can't find a second leg to stand on.

La Orden del Pixel - David Cedrés - Spanish - Yes

Anger Foot, the new work of Free Lives, offers a crazy, frenetic and fun proposal, which invites us to clean a city full of ruffians by force of kicks. A game full of humor whose frenetic gameplay invites us to enjoy crazy action by kicking everything that crosses our path. Visually it is very striking and the moving soundtrack does nothing but motivate us to throw kicks and send the enemies through the air.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Nic Reuben - Unscored

Two-thirds exhilarating and ingenious, one third asinine and frustrating, Anger Foot feels played out by the time you've finished the first few stages. Through great level design, constant novelty, and mostly solid fundamentals, it remains intoxicating for another sixty of them.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Anger Foot | FPS From the Creators of Broforce & Genital Jousting - reviews from OpenCritic posted

It’s great because it’s like hotline miami but a decent looking fps instead so you can drain your deck battery four times faster! I kid i kid, having a lot of fun with this on the deck so farZ Trying to hit some additional objectives and I got my first sneakers finally. I think I’ll focus on missions mostly but I’m dabbling with trying speed run challenges in the early levels.

It is just absolute off the walls levels of dumb which is great. Tone wise it seems more of a parody of Hotline than anything. Tons of interactivity everywhere, lots of breakable objects or lights that will swing when hit etc. You can play an arcade machine, play the foosball table, etc. It’s that kind of old type of environmental interactivity that seems to be coming back with things like this, Beyond Sunset, Selaco. You can feel pretty awesome taking out a room just right. 

Super early impressions so maybe it gets bad but seems like a really fun silly good time.

• True 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Take you are playing then! It’s amazing!

Yeah. @Brian got it for me.

It's real nice just how fast you can go it's almost crazy to think about. I think it was the 5th or 6th level where the challenge is to beat it in 40 seconds or something, and I think "no way" but you get a energy drink, just run and kick and you can blow your own mind at how fast you're going.

There's another game from Devolver that is a lot like this game and it's called High Hell. It's fast paced and twitchy and has a soundtrack from Doseone. I think Anger Foot looks a bit better though, but they are completely different style games graphically.

• stepee 1

5 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

It's level-based right?  It's not a rogue-li(k/t)e?  $25 is a little rich for this, but it's on my wishlist.

It is level based and not a rogue-whatever thank GOD

hmm I checked the hltb for Anger Foot and it’s apparently currently at 4 hours campaign, 8 hours campaign + extras and 13 hours for 100%. So bit of a warning there it might be short for $25.

Though especially that 100% is up to interpretation cuz I spent one hour just trying to speedrun one level for the star lol