Joker: Folie à Deux - Releases 10/24/24 (until it gets cancelled) - update (07/23): Official Trailer

4 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

One of the most undeserved Oscar wins of all time.

It didn't win the Oscar though, it was just nominated for Best Picture, which was still undeserved. Unless you're talking about Phoenix winning Best Actor, which even if the movie wasn't great, I'll give him credit that he did a great performance. 

48 minutes ago, Brick said:

It didn't win the Oscar though, it was just nominated for Best Picture, which was still undeserved. Unless you're talking about Phoenix winning Best Actor, which even if the movie wasn't great, I'll give him credit that he did a great performance. 

That’s the Oscar I’m talking about. He didn’t deserve that. Leo, De Niro, and Driver were all much, much better that year. 

I still need to gather my thoughts on this film, but the D cinemasore absolutely does not surprise me. This is a film that doesn’t care that this is a comic book character at all, and honestly doesn’t care for the character at all either. This Joker is a miserable, sad, pathetic little man that deserves none of the fame or adulation that the public gives him and the film has no interest in exploring much beyond his misery.

As a character portrait of a delusional and pitiful man enduring prison, I think it’s rather effective. I might have liked it better than the first one, though it helps that it’s not just a worse version of a Scorsese movie. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

19 hours ago, Jason said:

I feel like the first one would gain a point just from being presented as a new IP and not getting slapped with the Joker branding.

I could never pull myself to be interested in the first one because, just from marketing, it felt like someone's late 2000s indie project that they just slapped The Joker on top of because they got permission to do so.

That said, the hate for the second movie has me kind of wanting to watch it. If all the toxic people that completely fawned over the first one now hate the second one then that's just a positive in my book. 

• Halal 1

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I still need to gather my thoughts on this film, but the D cinemasore absolutely does not surprise me. This is a film that doesn’t care that this is a comic book character at all, and honestly doesn’t care for the character at all either. This Joker is a miserable, sad, pathetic little man that deserves none of the fame or adulation that the public gives him and the film has no interest in exploring much beyond his misery.

As a character portrait of a delusional and pitiful man enduring prison, I think it’s rather effective. I might have liked it better than the first one, though it helps that it’s not just a worse version of a Scorsese movie. 

If I hated the first one will I like this one? It seems like a lot of the reviewers are talking about it being a betrayal for people who connected with the first movie.

14 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

If I hated the first one will I like this one? It seems like a lot of the reviewers are talking about it being a betrayal for people who connected with the first movie.

No. From what I hear it's still a bad movie. 

• stepee 1

On 10/6/2024 at 1:31 PM, EternallDarkness said:

From a billion to bust...the Captain Marvel / Joker story

Let’s be clear that there’s no fuckin way that Joker 2 is gonna get dragged to the extent that The Marvels did and we all know why.

41 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Let’s be clear that there’s no fuckin way that Joker 2 is gonna get dragged to the extent that The Marvels did and we all know why.

By who? Because Joker 2 is being dragged by critics, audiences, exhibitors, fellow studio execs, etc. to a significantly greater degree than The Marvels ever did. Marvels got mostly a shrug whereas people actively hate Joker 2 😂

• True 1
  • Halal 1

On 10/5/2024 at 11:19 PM, SuperSpreader said:

In a weird way I honestly don't think that it matters. The two movies are so entirely different in both what they attempt to do, what they achieve, and in their connection to the source material.

I didn't hate the first one, but I didn't love it. I felt like it was a poor remake of The King of Comedy with some DC dressing and an excellent central performance, but nowhere near the Best Picture that many considered it.

This one has almost no DC dressing, almost to the point that it's actively weird. Harvey Dent shows up, but he could have been named anything else. Arkham is the primary location, but it may as well have been Shawshank or Rikers or Alcatraz. Even Joker is hardly a character. There is essentially no sign that this movie takes place in any DC universe.

It's also an oddity as a musical. A lot of the singing either is diegetic, or appears that way for half of the song. So you have lady GaGa singing poorly more than you have her singing well.

I do think that the film accomplishes what it is aiming for though, for whatever that is worth. It's aiming for dour and depressing and it's trying to dress down this character and everyone that thinks something of him. If that appeals to you, give it a go. 

From what I've heard, it also sounds like the people who made the movie also hate it. Like Todd Phillips had zero interest in making a sequel to Joker, but probably contracts and whatnot came into play, so he went full on into malicious compliance mode. Kind of like Lana Wachowski and Matrix Resurrections or Peter Jackson and the Hobbit. 

By the by, the more I learn about the Hobbit movies and their development, the more astounded I am that they're like... okay. They aren't horrible. That's saying a lot considering almost nobody involved wanted anything to do with them after Guillermo Del Toro bounced.

12 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

By the by, the more I learn about the Hobbit movies and their development, the more astounded I am that they're like... okay. They aren't horrible. That's saying a lot considering almost nobody involved wanted anything to do with them after Guillermo Del Toro bounced.

The Hobbit movies are bad.

19 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The Hobbit movies are bad.

I think An Unexpected Journey is actually pretty good. Like a 6/10. It's more good than bad. The other two are more like a 5/10, but still definitely watchable. I would much rather watch the Hobbit movies than whatever Jason Statham's current occupation is. Or Twilight. Or even most of the Harry Potter films.

I feel like people have this standard for Middle-earth related content that makes people feel violent about anything that isn't to the standard of the original film trilogy, and I'm like... that was lightning in a bottle, dude. No one will make anything like that ever again. If you want to trash every piece of middle-earth media that has come out since because it's not up to the same standard, have fun just never enjoying anything new for the rest of your life. The Hobbit movies aren't great, but they're not terrible. Rings of Power isn't great, but it's not terrible. Shadow of Mordor is fun even if it completely wipes its ass with the lore.

I'm actually pretty stoked for War of the Rohirrim.

• Halal 1