Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Information Thread, update (09/12): Patch 9 released, makes major improvements to PC performance/removes Denuvo

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What don't you like about it?

The plot. The characters. The lore. The fact that they give a Jedi a blaster pistol is blasphemy. No actual real Star Wars characters except for Storm Troopers. It’s mid as hell. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Biggie said:

The plot. The characters. The lore. The fact that they give a Jedi a blaster pistol is blasphemy. No actual real Star Wars characters except for Storm Troopers. It’s mid as hell. 

Spoiler

Angry Darth Vader GIF by Disney+
still counts as a Star Wars character. 

• True 1

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

And as far as gaming stories go, SW:JS had one of the better ones. 
The combat and exploration are what made it great, though. 

The combat was incredible. 

• 4 months later...

New PC patch dropped, and since I tested the game a few weeks ago with the Windows AMD update I took a quick spin after the patch. 

I'm getting 20% more performance in a mostly CPU-bound scenario. 85 fps -> 104 fps, and 1% lows are improved even more. Stuttering and hitching is less, but still happens way more than any game should.

I also noticed way more aggressive texture pop-in. Sometimes 10 ft away from a huge wall until the low-res texture went away. I'd say they tweaked the asset streaming to alleviate the CPU load.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

New PC patch dropped, and since I tested the game a few weeks ago with the Windows AMD update I took a quick spin after the patch. 

I'm getting 20% more performance in a mostly CPU-bound scenario. 85 fps -> 104 fps, and 1% lows are improved even more. Stuttering and hitching is less, but still happens way more than any game should.

I also noticed way more aggressive texture pop-in. Sometimes 10 ft away from a huge wall until the low-res texture went away. I'd say they tweaked the asset streaming to alleviate the CPU load.

I played the first game on PC, so I've been wanting to get this for a while, but the PC issues I keep hearing about are scaring me out of it. Is it still "all right" on PC, and only going to bug me if I'm being a snob about performance, or should I just wait until I have a PS5? 

2 hours ago, Best said:

I recently tried this on my deck and it constantly crashed. What a pos game for pc. 

I had no issues playing it on PS5. 

It was "unsupported on deck", though I hear some people are finding it plays well with the new patch.

This was fine on PC, other than some traversal stutter going between areas.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Not a bad improvement. 

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I also noticed way more aggressive texture pop-in. Sometimes 10 ft away from a huge wall until the low-res texture went away. I'd say they tweaked the asset streaming to alleviate the CPU load

the fuck? Please tell me that’s for lower end units and they didn’t fuck the game up worse. 

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It was "unsupported on deck", though I hear some people are finding it plays well with the new patch.

This was fine on PC, other than some traversal stutter going between areas.

Maybe I'll try it again soon. It really pissed me off when it kept crashing. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I played the first game on PC, so I've been wanting to get this for a while, but the PC issues I keep hearing about are scaring me out of it. Is it still "all right" on PC, and only going to bug me if I'm being a snob about performance, or should I just wait until I have a PS5? 

If you have an Nvidia 4000 video card then frame gen hides a lot of the stuttering. Not all of it and it's still noticeably more than other games, but makes it bearable. If you have any other video card there's a mod you can download to use AMD's FSR frame gen which is how I played the game.

34 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Not a bad improvement. 

the fuck? Please tell me that’s for lower end units and they didn’t fuck the game up worse. 

I'd wait for the Digital Foundry analysis, because I didn't restart my PC and just ran around Koboh outpost a few times. Perhaps I need to clear the shader cache or play more to build it up, but even on subsequent laps I would notice the same textures pop in. This is on a 2080 Ti 11GB... so there shouldn't be a VRAM issue.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

If you have an Nvidia 4000 video card then frame gen hides a lot of the stuttering. Not all of it and it's still noticeably more than other games, but makes it bearable. If you have any other video card there's a mod you can download to use AMD's FSR frame gen which is how I played the game.

Nope I have a 2080Ti.

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The performance improvements are almost certainly because the patch removed Denuvo :p IIRC it was using an extra aggressive version of it.

53 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The performance improvements are almost certainly because the patch removed Denuvo :p IIRC it was using an extra aggressive version of it.

Denuvo has never affected performance of any game in a negative way. In fact I heard it makes performance better. We should be begging developers to add it to more games!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Denuvo has never affected performance of any game in a negative way. In fact I heard it makes performance better. We should be begging developers to add it to more games!

I loved when Denuvo themselves put out benchmarks to try and prove it doesn’t affect performance. Except we could look at before and after from when some devs eventually remove it to stop paying the fee, or the few games where hackers managed to remove it that all showed a notable difference in CPU usage :p 

My favorite was Watch Dogs Legion and how Ubi had 3 layers of DRM that made it run like shit on everything 

• Thanks 1

Also holy SHIT my game runs better now. I basically dropped this game after the intro at launch because the stuttering went from disappointing to actually so detrimental it ruined the game. Now I'm over here locked at 120 FPS with VERY minor traversal hitches (and if I'm calling a stutter minor, it's fucking minor, I hate stutter and I hate these little stutters but they're infrequent barely-there blips, at least on my machine) every once in a while on max non-RT settings. If I pop RT on without frame gen, easy 65-75 FPS, also no extra stutters, with frame gen that bumps it to 116 or so, but I feel like I don't notice the RT in this game very much and prefer the clean look of no frame gen artifacts, so I'm sticking to just raw-dog raster for now.

It feels like the fucking thing left early access. For the love of god, do Dead Space next!

20 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Also holy SHIT my game runs better now. I basically dropped this game after the intro at launch because the stuttering went from disappointing to actually so detrimental it ruined the game. Now I'm over here locked at 120 FPS with VERY minor traversal hitches (and if I'm calling a stutter minor, it's fucking minor, I hate stutter and I hate these little stutters but they're infrequent barely-there blips, at least on my machine) every once in a while on max non-RT settings. If I pop RT on without frame gen, easy 65-75 FPS, also no extra stutters, with frame gen that bumps it to 116 or so, but I feel like I don't notice the RT in this game very much and prefer the clean look of no frame gen artifacts, so I'm sticking to just raw-dog raster for now.

It feels like the fucking thing left early access. For the love of god, do Dead Space next!

Supposedly, performance impact is pending what version of Denuvo a publisher/dev implements, the “higher end” one is doing constant checksum evaluations to make sure the game copy is legitimate anytime data is being accessed/streamed from the game (so… pretty much always) which causes a constant tax on CPU cycles + hdd/ssd/m.2 bandwidth, obviously this would also affect both north and south bridges of the mobo and probably also causes system and GPU memory to constantly be “scanned” for the random calculations Denuvo uses to hide itself (from hackers trying to crack the game). The “cheapest” version basically only does this when you first launch the game to my knowledge. Practically a crypto miner malware.

Guess which version EA and Ubisoft typically go for?

21 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Some systems are also seeing significant benefits after the last windows update:
1OvQjU9.png

I wonder if this is why I got such an uplift after this week’s Space Marine’s 2 patch. My temps are way down and performance with 4k Ultra DLSS Quality improved by ~10%. Curious. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Information Thread, update (09/12): Patch 9 released, makes major improvements to PC performance/removes Denuvo