Nationwide baby formula shortage crisis

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

About bloody time.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Wednesday invoked the Defense Production Act to speed production of infant formula and authorized flights to import...

I like that American politicians always want to fix our regulatory failures by just pillaging supply from countries that have functional regulatory bodies. 

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I like that American politicians always want to fix our regulatory failures by just pillaging supply from countries that have functional regulatory bodies. 

If it was paired with gutting our regulatory systems to simply outsource that job to Countries that had working regulatory bodies it would be nice! But we don’t do that so it’s the worst of both worlds

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm gonna ask a really dumb/ignorant question so forgive me in advance. I don't have kids... What did we do as a people before Baby formula was even a thing? I mean society.

Indentured Black titties 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm gonna ask a really dumb/ignorant question so forgive me in advance. I don't have kids... What did we do as a people before Baby formula was even a thing? I mean society.

original.jpg
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

The shortage is a calamity—not a victory for breastfeeding.

Kinda grim dark from the skim I did.

30 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

To kind of answer this , I am have a severe reaction when it comes to dairy. If I drink a small shake or have a large glass of milk, its projectile vomit time. I had the same issue with breast milk. The solution was Goats milk for me. Buying it now is 10x easier then in the 80's. My parents essentially bought black market goats milk from a SE Asian family that ran grocery/bodega store.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

To kind of answer this , I am have a severe reaction when it comes to dairy. If I drink a small shake or have a large glass of milk, its projectile vomit time. I had the same issue with breast milk. The solution was Goats milk for me. Buying it now is 10x easier then in the 80's. My parents essentially bought black market goats milk from a SE Asian family that ran grocery/bodega store.

I know out of me and my siblings, non of us where breast fed except for my youngest brother.

I don't really know, but I honestly wonder how many parents are in the situation where they legit cannot feed their baby?

I remember seeing formula at target multiple times the last few weeks, at the beginning of these doom and gloom headlines.

I mean, if I was a parent with a baby that needed formula, I would be buying in bulk and going store to store and buying up as much supply as I could. I imagine most parents are the same. My gut feeling is that this started as a shortage, and has perhaps evolved into something of a crazy supply and demand thing as everyone is buying whatever they can, whenever they can and hoarding it.

Are babies starving? Is that a real thing that's happening?

28 minutes ago, ort said:

I don't really know, but I honestly wonder how many parents are in the situation where they legit cannot feed their baby?

I remember seeing formula at target multiple times the last few weeks, at the beginning of these doom and gloom headlines.

I mean, if I was a parent with a baby that needed formula, I would be buying in bulk and going store to store and buying up as much supply as I could. I imagine most parents are the same. My gut feeling is that this started as a shortage, and has perhaps evolved into something of a crazy supply and demand thing as everyone is buying whatever they can, whenever they can and hoarding it.

Are babies starving? Is that a real thing that's happening?

It was happening before the formula shortage

1 hour ago, ort said:

Not all formulas are the same. Many babies need very specific mixtures, so subbing one brand or even a particular line within a brand is not always possible.

22 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I hope this does not come off as any kind of shot at you because I truly don't mean it that way.

But it says an awful lot about how far we've come in a short time as it pertains to things like medicine and food access that we simply cannot imagine the recent past / present in some parts of the world where the alternative is just... death.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I hope this does not come off as any kind of shot at you because I truly don't mean it that way.

But it says an awful lot about how far we've come in a short time as it pertains to things like medicine and food access that we simply cannot imagine the recent past / present in some parts of the world where the alternative is just... death.

i don't take it as a shot against me personally but I do wonder how we as a species were able to survive without baby formula when, as you put it, before its invention the alternative was death. I asked the question because I honestly don't know but it seems to me that in a country as wealthy and well resourced as ours, a temporary disruption of the supply of baby formula shouldn't be a life or death proposition when ther are parts of the world where this stuff is literally a luxury. Again... I don't know. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

i don't take it as a shot against me personally but I do wonder how we as a species were able to survive without baby formula when, as you put it, before its invention the alternative was death. I asked the question because I honestly don't know but it seems to me that in a country as wealthy and well resourced as ours, a temporary disruption of the supply of baby formula shouldn't be a life or death proposition when ther are parts of the world where this stuff is literally a luxury. Again... I don't know. 

A lot of children died before modern technology. That's why people had so many kids, it was expected that some of them wouldn't survive into adulthood.

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

A lot of children died before modern technology. That's why people had so many kids, it was expected that some of them wouldn't survive into adulthood.

One thing I've seen a lot of people assume when they look at a chart like this...

Comparison_of_life_expectancy_in_USA_Chi

... is that when they see China's life expectancy at the mid 40's in the 1960's, they think that people didn't "live as long." And while that's true to some extent, a significant reason that number is so low is infant mortality and people dying by / during young adulthood. Most people would die young or die old, and then averages do their thing.

It's one of those things that most people don't understand with stats. Another example is when someone is like, 80, and someone points out that they are past the life expectancy and could die anytime. This happened a lot with elderly deaths by COVID (making the deaths seem less tragic). But if you look at the life expectancy of people who are already 80, it's like 88+, because you no longer have to worry about dying as a baby.

On 5/18/2022 at 5:54 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

More parents breast fed. You had less working mothers so it was easier to make it work.

You can give babies home made formula from evaporated milk, or whole milk if they're older. That's what they did in the past.

It was not as good as formula but it works. There are recipes out there for home made baby formula.

• True 1