Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Even for a Tesla event, this one was pretty light on details and wildly optimistic about the technology.

A $30,000 fully autonomous car that you can buy in 2026? Yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. The regulatory approval alone seems unlikely.

I've seen speculation that the Cybercab was designed to be the really cheap Tesla that they've been promising for a while, and that makes much more sense to me than building a vehicle from the ground up to be a taxi and ending up with a Honda Insight. There's a good reason that all the NYC "Taxi of Tomorrow" finalists had the same shape. Turns out vans are pretty space efficient. (The winner of that competition has a wheelbase that is less than two inches longer than a Model 3/Y btw.) Making it inductive charging is probably a good idea if you want them to easily roll up to a charging station by itself, but not including a port at all seems like a massive mistake that I can't imagine will stand. Especially if you're going to sell them to consumers.

It makes so much more sense to use the existing Model 3, Y, X, and S for a taxi than it does the Cybercab. Take the steering wheel out of any of those and it seems like a more compelling taxi vehicle.

The robovan is a more compelling vehicle in that it has enough room to carry much more stuff, but it seems oddly too big. The jump from 2 people to 20 is wild.

He did say that autonomous driving would be limited to Texas and California at first, but I haven't ready anything about more specific restrictions. There probably aren't specifics because it's probably further out than that, though I do believe that they'll do some of the proposed testing with Model 3s and Ys.  

The Optimus stuff was actually kind of compelling, though Musk went way overboard with describing it's capabilities to the point that it was basically worthless. It'll be able to do "basically anything you want" including babysitting your kids?!? He seemed to just gloss over any explanation of anything, by saying how it's just like a car because it's got cameras and motors and AI, and that seems like a wild oversimplification.

How you can even stand to watch and/or listen to that jackass is beyond me. His days of being a pioneer are long gone. Now he’s just trying to do what all vaporware bros do, which is innovate a solution that already exists. We’ve had electric buses and rail for what feels like forever. There’s no reason to add this autonomous, inductively-charged bullshit to what are already the most dangerous roads in the western world.

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Where are they going to test that? The ground clearance isn't going to play well with even a slightly less-than-pristine road. If it were any other company I'd say "they probably have something cleverly engineered to account for that" but this is the company that made the CyberTruck.

All good and true points, but spare a thought for the comedy gold we are in for when his true believers attempt to use that train car in the real world! :daydream:

• True 1

3 hours ago, legend said:

Just as a reminder:

(This video is also two years old so add even more)

Elon Musk is the answer to the age old question… what if Todd Howard was a racist apartheid nepo baby who promised more and delivered less?

• True 1

10 minutes ago, Jason said:
TECHCRUNCH.COM

Social networking startup Bluesky, which just reported a gain of half a million users over the past day, has now soared into the top five apps on the U.S.

Ding dong the witch is infested with chuds and scams

My wife drives a Model Y and we never bought the license for FSD. Tesla gives away 30 days of the full self driving as a trial about once a year, so I have tried it out many times since she got her car.

2021, it was very scary for anything other than freeway driving.

2022, definitely improved but I still felt compelled to be very attentive to what it was doing.

2023, another notable improvement, mostly just a little concerning in very poorly marked roads.

2024, they turned it on this week after the cybercab event. I think this is FSD 12.x? In any event, I just let the car drive from one suburb of Houston into downtown Houston and back. Suburb streets, freeways, city streets with trains/buses/pedestrians. It was scary how good it was. It was the first time I’ve believed we could actually be only a few years away from widespread autonomous driving. Obviously there are places that are further away from being able to utilize this sort of tech, but it will just keep getting better.

What really caught my attention is that I continued to look around as if I were driving, and it hits you when the car begins adjusting to a traffic situation that you didn’t see: autonomous cars have many more sets of eyes and are watching 360 degrees simultaneously. The ability to more safely navigate the roads is tremendous.

• stepee 1

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My wife drives a Model Y and we never bought the license for FSD. Tesla gives away 30 days of the full self driving as a trial about once a year, so I have tried it out many times since she got her car.

2022, definitely improved but I still felt compelled to be very attentive to what it was doing.

2023, another notable improvement, mostly just a little concerning in very poorly marked roads.

2024, they turned it on this week after the cybercab event. I think this is FSD 12.x? In any event, I just let the car drive from one suburb of Houston into downtown Houston and back. Suburb streets, freeways, city streets with trains/buses/pedestrians. It was scary how good it was. It was the first time I’ve believed we could actually be only a few years away from widespread autonomous driving. Obviously there are places that are further away from being able to utilize this sort of tech, but it will just keep getting better.

What really caught my attention is that I continued to look around as if I were driving, and it hits you when the car begins adjusting to a traffic situation that you didn’t see: autonomous cars have many more sets of eyes and are watching 360 degrees simultaneously. The ability to more safely navigate the roads is tremendous.

Imagine if they could also do car 2 car communication on some type of universal system, where cars could tell other cars about where they plan to be and when they expect to be there so that some smart learning GPS nav could route everyone the best way possible given all other factors?  The more cars talking to each other the better the system gets, etc. 

Yea but of course MAH PRIVACY and I LIKE TO DRIVE (no you don't) will shout loudest to avoid quick and meaningful progress. And also I can't see all the automakers coming to an agreement on some type of free open standard or how / who would run it. 

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I know someone who died in one of those. I'll never use autonomous driving.

1 minute ago, Ominous said:

Imagine if they could also do car 2 car communication on some type of universal system, where cars could tell other cars about where they plan to be and when they expect to be there so that some smart learning GPS nav could route everyone the best way possible given all other factors?  The more cars talking to each other the better the system gets, etc. 

Yea but of course MAH PRIVACY and I LIKE TO DRIVE (no you don't) will shout loudest to avoid quick and meaningful progress. And also I can't see all the automakers coming to an agreement on some type of free open standard or how / who would run it. 

I fully expect vehicle to vehicle communication to be a government mandated safety feature as time moves on. The ability to increase even more basic driver assist tech with such things is huge.

• Hype 1

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I fully expect vehicle to vehicle communication to be a government mandated safety feature as time moves on. The ability to increase even more basic driver assist tech with such things is huge.

Meanwhile in 2024 people in Mach E groups talk about how you can move your speedometer back to the middle of the display, and not slightly off to the side, if you disable all the pre-collision avoidance and lane keep assist systems....and pretty much any EV / Hybrid group has people asking how to turn off the backup beep and or external noise that warns pedestrians there is a silent car coming. 

:guillotine:

• Shocked 1

9 hours ago, Ominous said:

and pretty much any EV / Hybrid group has people asking how to turn off the backup beep and or external noise that warns pedestrians there is a silent car coming. 

The Cadillac Lyric (EV) plays classical (symphonic) music outside the vehicle at low speeds in parking lots and what-not. It’s… interesting.

20 hours ago, sblfilms said:

There are more deaths and accidents per mile drive by humans than by computers :p 

When Tesla stands behind FSD from a liability perspective I'll believe they're actually serious about it.  The person in the car shouldn't be liable for damage when they aren't actually driving the car.

29 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

When Tesla stands behind FSD from a liability perspective I'll believe they're actually serious about it.  The person in the car shouldn't be liable for damage when they aren't actually driving the car.

Tesla prices their auto insurance coverage less the more miles that your car is driven on FSD vs. human driven miles. Literally nothing more clear about which one they view as safer than that.

52 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Tesla prices their auto insurance coverage less the more miles that your car is driven on FSD vs. human driven miles. Literally nothing more clear about which one they view as safer than that.

I mean when they take responsibility for losses incurred while the system is active.  The owner of the car should have zero responsibility if they aren't driving the car.

7 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I mean when they take responsibility for losses incurred while the system is active.  The owner of the car should have zero responsibility if they aren't driving the car.

I know what you mean, and it is a standard that no company puts into place for any of their automated hardware or software.

But your claim was they don’t stand behind it as a response to me pointing out that it is safer than human driving per mile, the fact that the insurance coverage they sell is cheaper for those who use FSD more often shows that they do financially stand behind FSD. If they believed it was more prone to failure than human driven miles, they would charge a higher rate for miles driven under FSD.

22 hours ago, sblfilms said:

There are more deaths and accidents per mile drive by humans than by computers :p 

I don’t know the stats on deaths, but computers crashed 9.1 times per millions miles and humans crashed 4.1 times per million miles.

Also I don’t know how these things count on paper when self driving vehicles abandon control when they know an accident is imminent.  How long before an accident does the computer have to be in control before impact before it stops counting?