Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

Elon gets an education on elections in Virginia from one of the best run local governments in the country

Also henrico is the type of place that republicans are bleeding support due to Trump, and a lot of these people used to vote solidly republican. 

32 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

The word is that the "Robtaxi" that they're going to unveil tomorrow has two seats. Famously, groups of people don't ever want to take taxis together.

The overwhelming majority of taxi/rideshares are 1 or 2 passengers, making it the most sensible thing about the entire product.

• True 1

Tonight at 7PM PST Telsa is going to hold their Robotaxi event. It's expected that they'll reveal their purpose built autonomous taxi and there are rumors they'll show off another vehicle, be it a new low price car or just a model Y refresh.

The event is long overdue and it seems unlikely there are too many surprises, but it is a big deal because it's the first opportunity for the 12th most valuable company in the world (by market cap at the moment) to prove that they actually are more than a car company.

I personally will be interested to find out where they plan to deploy them. It doesn't feel very Elon to just follow Waymo and just launch them in Phoenix and SF, but I also don't expect them to go full on Uber and ignore all regulations in a nationwide free for all. I'm also curious if they'll stick to their guns on lidar and use the camera only system they put in their consumer cars. I imagine that's the expectation, but it still feels so reckless, though I suppose that would be on brand.

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But look all the beautiful AI pictures. You're not convinced?

The only smart one is the food truck vehicle. I know getting power and cooling is a big challenge in those. Sometimes they have to run gas generators outside the vehicle.

Making a food truck that can have enough power to run grills, ac, stoves, etc would be awesome for them (if he can keep it around 50k because they don't have a ton of money either)

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

The only smart one is the food truck vehicle. I know getting power and cooling is a big challenge in those. Sometimes they have to run gas generators outside the vehicle.

Making a food truck that can have enough power to run grills, ac, stoves, etc would be awesome for them (if he can keep it around 50k because they don't have a ton of money either)

50k is far too much. My father in law paid about half of that for everything he needed done for his food truck including custom paint job and completely rebuilding the interior 

• Halal 1

Even for a Tesla event, this one was pretty light on details and wildly optimistic about the technology.

A $30,000 fully autonomous car that you can buy in 2026? Yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. The regulatory approval alone seems unlikely.

I've seen speculation that the Cybercab was designed to be the really cheap Tesla that they've been promising for a while, and that makes much more sense to me than building a vehicle from the ground up to be a taxi and ending up with a Honda Insight. There's a good reason that all the NYC "Taxi of Tomorrow" finalists had the same shape. Turns out vans are pretty space efficient. (The winner of that competition has a wheelbase that is less than two inches longer than a Model 3/Y btw.) Making it inductive charging is probably a good idea if you want them to easily roll up to a charging station by itself, but not including a port at all seems like a massive mistake that I can't imagine will stand. Especially if you're going to sell them to consumers.

It makes so much more sense to use the existing Model 3, Y, X, and S for a taxi than it does the Cybercab. Take the steering wheel out of any of those and it seems like a more compelling taxi vehicle.

The robovan is a more compelling vehicle in that it has enough room to carry much more stuff, but it seems oddly too big. The jump from 2 people to 20 is wild.

He did say that autonomous driving would be limited to Texas and California at first, but I haven't ready anything about more specific restrictions. There probably aren't specifics because it's probably further out than that, though I do believe that they'll do some of the proposed testing with Model 3s and Ys.  

The Optimus stuff was actually kind of compelling, though Musk went way overboard with describing it's capabilities to the point that it was basically worthless. It'll be able to do "basically anything you want" including babysitting your kids?!? He seemed to just gloss over any explanation of anything, by saying how it's just like a car because it's got cameras and motors and AI, and that seems like a wild oversimplification.