Let's Get Physical (Media) - A Thread for Avid Physical Media Collectors

Harvey Keitel's Bad Lieutenant 4K is on sale for $20 on Amazon currently. Also snagged Replacement Killers & The Peacemaker both on Blu for $15 total.

Another thing worth noting, rumor has it that Second Sight's next big box set will be for 'You're Next', and you bet your ass I'll be snagging THAT!

Please don’t make fun of me, but I haven’t done any physical media in over 15 years and don’t have a clue what I’m doing. 

WWW.CRITERION.COM

Sam Peckinpah’s cycle of genre-redefining westerns came to a close with this blood- and dust-caked elegy for the American West, which marries his renegade style with a...

I bought this (cause it’s my favorite movie), but I don’t have any way to play it. Anyone have a recommendation for a USB blu ray player? Or something that can play this?

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

Please don’t make fun of me, but I haven’t done any physical media in over 15 years and don’t have a clue what I’m doing. .

I bought this (cause it’s my favorite movie), but I don’t have any way to play it. Anyone have a recommendation for a USB blu ray player? Or something that can play this?

You want a drive to hook up to the computer and not a TV?

53 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Yes!

So this might be tricky and complicated but also maybe someone else knows better than me.

It's generally been difficult to play a blu ray disc on a PC, at least without buying some crappy software. You can do it through VLC but at lot of the time it is hit or miss and you have to update keys and stuff like that, and it might not play.

Personally what I do is just rip the blu-ray and (ask me about this later if you're still interested), put it up on my plex drive and then I can just watch through the plex app on my TV, though if you're not planning on watching on your TV then of course you'd just watch the file using VLC on your computer.

Now the tricky part is that from what I understand (I haven't tried myself because I don't have a UHD drive just a normal Blu-Ray drive) that there are only a handful of UHD drives that can rip a UHD. SO if you're still interested after that then I could show you the list of drives that work.

Basically the tl;dr is if you want to play it on a computer it's hard. If you want to play it on a TV it is easy, and if you want a drive for the TV I'm sure someone could recommend one. I have an old XboneX that is supposed to play UHDs if you want that.

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 1

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So this might be tricky and complicated but also maybe someone else knows better than me.

It's generally been difficult to play a blu ray disc on a PC, at least without buying some crappy software. You can do it through VLC but at lot of the time it is hit or miss and you have to update keys and stuff like that, and it might not play.

Personally what I do is just rip the blu-ray and (ask me about this later if you're still interested), put it up on my plex drive and then I can just watch through the plex app on my TV, though if you're not planning on watching on your TV then of course you'd just watch the file using VLC on your computer.

Now the tricky part is that from what I understand (I haven't tried myself because I don't have a UHD drive just a normal Blu-Ray drive) that there are only a handful of UHD drives that can rip a UHD. SO if you're still interested after that then I could show you the list of drives that work.

Basically the tl;dr is if you want to play it on a computer it's hard. If you want to play it on a TV it is easy, and if you want a drive for the TV I'm sure someone could recommend one. I have an old XboneX that is supposed to play UHDs if you want that.

Ok interesting. I'll think about this. Thanks.

WWW.BLU-RAY.COM

Paramount Home Media Distribution will celebrate the 25th anniversary of Martin Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead (1999) with a Collector's Edition 4K Blu-ray, which is scheduled to aParamount Home Media Distribution will celebrate the 25th anniversary of Martin Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead (1999) with a Collector's Edition 4K Blu-ray, which is scheduled to arrive on the market on September 17th.

Description: Hailed as "an ecstatic sensory experience" (San Francisco Examiner), "intense, volatile" (New York Times), and "savage and sorrowing" (Atlanta Journal-Constitution), BRINGING OUT THE DEAD debuted on October 22, 1999 and marked the fourth collaboration between Scorsese and screenwriter Paul Schrader (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull). Nicolas Cage gives a riveting performance as a Manhattan paramedic barely clinging to sanity over the course of three chaotic nights. The film also stars Patricia Arquette, John Goodman, Ving Rhames, and Tom Sizemore.

Newly remastered from the original camera negative, this exceptional new release was reviewed by Scorsese, cinematographer Robert Richardson, and editor Thelma Schoonmaker. Arriving as part of the Paramount Presents line, BRINGING OUT THE DEAD is presented in a must-own two-disc set that includes the film on 4K Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos and on Blu-ray, along with a wealth of new bonus content, including new interviews with Scorsese, Cage, Schrader, and Richardson, plus archival on-set interviews with Patricia Arquette, John Goodman, Ving Rhames, Tom Sizemore, and Marc Anthony. The release also includes access to a Digital copy of the film. New and legacy bonus content included on the Blu-ray Disc is detailed below.

Nicolas Cage is Frank Pierce, a paramedic on the brink of madness. Patricia Arquette is the daughter of a man Frank tried to save. Together, they'll need to confront the ghosts of the past to discover redemption among the living. The powerhouse supporting cast includes John Goodman, Ving Rhames, and Tom Sizemore.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

• NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE
  • DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK
  • NEW FILMMAKER FOCUS – MARTIN SCORSESE ON BRINGING OUT THE DEAD - Visionary filmmaker Martin Scorsese shares stories behind the production, touching on casting, shooting in New York City, and the music and art that inspired his approach.
  • NEW A RUMINATION ON SALVATION – NICOLAS CAGE ON BRINGING OUT THE DEAD - Academy Award® winner Nicolas Cage relates tales of wild nights in New York City, his cerebral approach to his character, and his time with Scorsese prior to shooting.
  • NEW CEMETERY STREETS – SCREENWRITER PAUL SCHRADER ON BRINGING OUT THE DEAD - Legendary screenwriter Paul Schrader talks about adapting author Joe Connelly's novel, how traveling with real paramedics informed his writing, and his creative partnership with Scorsese.
  • NEW CITY OF GHOSTS – CINEMATOGRAPHER ROBERT RICHARDSON ON BRINGING OUT THE DEAD - Frequent Scorsese collaborator and Academy Award® winning cinematographer Robert Richardson opens up about shooting Bringing Out the Dead and how the film personally resonated with him.
  • NEW ON SET WITH PATRICIA ARQUETTE - Actress Patricia Arquette reflects on working with Nicolas Cage, the creative openness of director Martin Scorsese, and how her own background allowed for a personal understanding of her character.
  • NEW ON SET WITH JOHN GOODMAN - Actor John Goodman talks about the intensity of portraying a paramedic, working with Nicolas Cage, and the honor of appearing in a Martin Scorsese film.
  • NEW ON SET WITH VING RHAMES - Actor Ving Rhames shares how Martin Scorsese's New York City differs from his personal experience and how his character relates to Nicolas Cage's character.
  • NEW ON SET WITH TOM SIZEMORE - Actor Tom Sizemore celebrates the opportunity to appear in Bringing Out the Dead and reflects on how life is full of surprises.
  • NEW ON SET WITH MARC ANTHONY - Actor Marc Anthony shares how he turned witnessing real-life hardship on the streets of New York City into an unforgettable performance.
  • EXCLUSIVE CAST AND CREW INTERVIEWS
  • THEATRICAL TRAILERS
  • Collectible packaging featuring a foldout image of the film's theatrical poster and an interior spread with key movie moments
  • Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

rrive on the market on September 17th.

Description: Hailed as "an ecstatic sensory experience" (San Francisco Examiner), "intense, volatile" (New York Times), and "savage and sorrowing" (Atlanta Journal-Constitution), BRINGING OUT THE DEAD debuted on October 22, 1999 and marked the fourth collaboration between Scorsese and screenwriter Paul Schrader (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull). Nicolas Cage gives a riveting performance as a Manhattan paramedic barely clinging to sanity over the course of three chaotic nights. The film also stars Patricia Arquette, John Goodman, Ving Rhames, and Tom Sizemore.

Newly remastered from the original camera negative, this exceptional new release was reviewed by Scorsese, cinematographer Robert Richardson, and editor Thelma Schoonmaker. Arriving as part of the Paramount Presents line, BRINGING OUT THE DEAD is presented in a must-own two-disc set that includes the film on 4K Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos and on Blu-ray, along with a wealth of new bonus content, including new interviews with Scorsese, Cage, Schrader, and Richardson, plus archival on-set interviews with Patricia Arquette, John Goodman, Ving Rhames, Tom Sizemore, and Marc Anthony. The release also includes access to a Digital copy of the film. New and legacy bonus content included on the Blu-ray Disc is detailed below.

Nicolas Cage is Frank Pierce, a paramedic on the brink of madness. Patricia Arquette is the daughter of a man Frank tried to save. Together, they'll need to confront the ghosts of the past to discover redemption among the living. The powerhouse supporting cast includes John Goodman, Ving Rhames, and Tom Sizemore.

NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE
DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK
NEW FILMMAKER FOCUS – MARTIN SCORSESE ON BRINGING OUT THE DEAD - Visionary filmmaker Martin Scorsese shares stories behind the production, touching on casting, shooting in New York City, and the music and art that inspired his approach.
NEW A RUMINATION ON SALVATION – NICOLAS CAGE ON BRINGING OUT THE DEAD - Academy Award® winner Nicolas Cage relates tales of wild nights in New York City, his cerebral approach to his character, and his time with Scorsese prior to shooting.
NEW CEMETERY STREETS – SCREENWRITER PAUL SCHRADER ON BRINGING OUT THE DEAD - Legendary screenwriter Paul Schrader talks about adapting author Joe Connelly's novel, how traveling with real paramedics informed his writing, and his creative partnership with Scorsese.
NEW CITY OF GHOSTS – CINEMATOGRAPHER ROBERT RICHARDSON ON BRINGING OUT THE DEAD - Frequent Scorsese collaborator and Academy Award® winning cinematographer Robert Richardson opens up about shooting Bringing Out the Dead and how the film personally resonated with him.
NEW ON SET WITH PATRICIA ARQUETTE - Actress Patricia Arquette reflects on working with Nicolas Cage, the creative openness of director Martin Scorsese, and how her own background allowed for a personal understanding of her character.
NEW ON SET WITH JOHN GOODMAN - Actor John Goodman talks about the intensity of portraying a paramedic, working with Nicolas Cage, and the honor of appearing in a Martin Scorsese film.
NEW ON SET WITH VING RHAMES - Actor Ving Rhames shares how Martin Scorsese's New York City differs from his personal experience and how his character relates to Nicolas Cage's character.
NEW ON SET WITH TOM SIZEMORE - Actor Tom Sizemore celebrates the opportunity to appear in Bringing Out the Dead and reflects on how life is full of surprises.
NEW ON SET WITH MARC ANTHONY - Actor Marc Anthony shares how he turned witnessing real-life hardship on the streets of New York City into an unforgettable performance.
EXCLUSIVE CAST AND CREW INTERVIEWS
THEATRICAL TRAILERS
Collectible packaging featuring a foldout image of the film's theatrical poster and an interior spread with key movie moments
Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

17738_tn.jpg

4 hours ago, 69los said:
WWW.ARROWVIDEO.COM

Buy Friday the 13th (2009) Limited Edition 4K UHD from Arrow Video.

Not the best movie in the world but there were certainly some stupendous bits in it.

WWW.ARROWVIDEO.COM

Buy The Chronicles of Riddick Limited Edition 4K UHD from Arrow Video.

Oh snap, both are solid!!

6 hours ago, 69los said:
WWW.ARROWVIDEO.COM

Buy Friday the 13th (2009) Limited Edition 4K UHD from Arrow Video.

Not the best movie in the world but there were certainly some stupendous bits in it.

There is a part in this movie where the asshole jock guy is having sex and says "your tits are just... so juicy dude", and it's genuinely one of the funniest line deliveries I've ever heard buried in an otherwise pretty forgettable film.

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercury said:

There is a part in this movie where the asshole jock guy is having sex and says "your tits are just... so juicy dude", and it's genuinely one of the funniest line deliveries I've ever heard buried in an otherwise pretty forgettable film.

Doesn't he say "Stupendous!" ?

11 minutes ago, Nokra said:

This one is a must buy for me. Run Lola Run (Lola Rennt) is one of the earliest films I watched while I was learning German, and my DVD copy from 2000-something will look like ass next to this. :daydream:

Say a German line from the movie that you remember.

@silentbob $65

GODZILLA.COM

Godzilla Store Exclusive Featuring Both Godzilla Minus One and Godzilla Minus One/Minus Color Estimated ship date: September 2024 Be one of the first in the US to own Godzilla Minus One on Blu-ray with the “Deluxe Japan Collector’s Edition”! This Godzilla Store Exclusive mirrors the deluxe 4-disc box set released on Ma

A LOT of people have been looking forward to Second Sight's 'The Hitcher' release w/ Rutger Hauer. It's a brand new 4K scan of the original negative. Sucks that Rutger isn't with us anymore as I would have liked to have had an exclusive new interview w/ the man looking back at this film. Alas however, one hell of a set & well worth the wait! I would mention that, considering the atronomical price of shipping from the UK, if you have friends in which to partner up & split that cost, all that much better!

SECONDSIGHTFILMS.CO.UK

The legendary Rutger Hauer stars in this iconic 80s cult hit, now lovingly restored in 4K by Second Sight Films!

NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM from the original camera negative supervised and approved by Director Robert Harmon

DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM

DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK, plus original stereo audio mixes

NEW Bullseye: interview with Robert Harmon (41 Minutes)

NEW Penning the Ripper: interview with Eric Red (41 Minutes)

NEW Doomed to Live: interview with C Thomas Howell (28 Minutes)

NEW The Man from Oz: interview with John Seale (10 Minutes)

NEW A Very Formative Score: interview with composer Mark Isham (15 Minutes)

NEW audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas

Audio commentary with Robert Harmon and Writer Eric Red

Scene specific audio commentary with Robert Harmon, Eric Red, Executive Producer Edward S Feldman, Composer Mark Isham, Director of Photography John Seale and Actors Rutger Hauer and C Thomas Howell

The Projection Booth Podcast: featuring

Robert Harmon and Rutger Hauer

Duel Runner: Leigh Singer on the evolution of The Hitcher and Rutger Hauer (20 Minutes)

China Lake: a short film by Robert Harmon newly restored (35 Minutes)

The Calling Card: Robert Harmon on China Lake (15 Minutes)

Telephone: a short film by Eric Red (26 Minutes)

The Hitcher: How do these movies get made? (38 Minutes)

Trailers (5 Minutes)

Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

BLU-RAY: REGION-FREE

4K BLU-RAY: REGION-FREE

Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Adam Stothard

200-page hardback book with exclusive Robert Harmon interview by Lou Thomas, exclusive Eric Red interview by Matthew Thrift, new essays by Heather Drain, David Kittredge, Craig Ian Mann, Rebecca McCallum, Meagan Navarro and Jon Towlson, archival Fangoria article and Behind the Scenes photo gallery

Eric Red's original screenplay book

6 collectors' art cards

17800_tn.jpg

• Shocked 1

Amazon is having a big "buy two get one free" sale on Blu-rays, including 4K UHD Blu-rays, as part of their Prime Day sales. Here's a link to some of the highlights: 

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Tons of films and TV shows are eligible for the buy two, get one free deal at Amazon, giving you a chance to build up your collection for cheap.

Dark Fate I think was a great addition after everything else we got after Judgement Day. Plus that Atmos track kicks some serious ass.

here’s hoping the Canadian site offers the same kind that of deal (high highly doubt it) 

9 hours ago, silentbob said:

Dark Fate I think was a great addition after everything else we got after Judgement Day. Plus that Atmos track kicks some serious ass.

here’s hoping the Canadian site offers the same kind that of deal (high highly doubt it) 

Funny that you brought that flick up. Ended up watching it on TNT immediately after Collision on Saturday, it isn't THAT bad of a flick. Granted there's still some shit in there, but overall, I didn't really hate it. 

On 7/16/2024 at 10:05 PM, SoberChef said:

Just snagged the following from Amazon's Sale:

James Gunn's Suicide Squad ($10)

Fall ($7.50)

Enter the Dragon 4K Steelbook ($20!!!)

Scarface 4K ($11)

Anybody else happen to snag anything?

Nice haul!

The only thing I got from Prime Days was the Dune 2-movie 4k set for $35. I've never seen either movie but it seemed like they'd be up my alley and I thought I remembered hearing they're pretty good 4K movies so I just went for it. :blush:

• Hugs 1

56 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Sadly I’m broke but they had dick all for sales on 4K movies this year for Canadian prime members. 

Dare I ask how much shipping is into CAN from the US if you shop on that site?!? 🤔 

13 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Dare I ask how much shipping is into CAN from the US if you shop on that site?!? 🤔 

Depends on how much I were to buy, as duty fees are calculated on top of shipping costs. Sadly my Canadian Prime didn’t work in conjunction with the American site anyways :( If it did I would of gone stupid on movies probably