Do game stores remove original Xbox clock capacitors?

CastletonSnob

I got an original Xbox back in December, and I've been told that if I get an original Xbox, I need to get the clock capacitor removed. Well, I'd rather leave that to people who know what they're doing so I don't damage the console. I've been meaning to take it to a game store to have someone remove the clock capacitor for me, but it's been 3 months and I still haven't done so, partially because the weather has been kind of bad, partially because I've been busy. Do you know if game stores will remove the Xbox clock capacitor for me? And if so, how much will it cost?

If you have a solder gun it is super easy to do. Just make sure to reference the location for whichever revision of the Xbox you have. 

As for game stores that will do it, I suppose it all depends on if your local stores offer the service. Price I don't see it costing all that much. 

You actually don't even have to do any soldering.  I bought a used Xbox last year, removed the capacitor and replaced the thermal paste. 

Working on consoles can be scary at first, but some of these older machines are generally much easier to take apart.  For the Xbox, you really only have to unscrew the top, unplug the power supply and disc drive, and then unscrew the trays that they lay in.  You can then use some needle nose pliers and just twist off the clock capacitor without much force at all.  There are plenty of videos online outlining the process, but this one seems to be pretty straightforward and is exactly what I did to mine:

Of course you should call your local game shops to see if they'd do it for you if you prefer that, but if they won't, I promise it's not too hard of a project and it's pretty fun to work on the console.

• Thanks 1

I was aware of this issue, but had no idea that the there were later versions of the Xbox that were not prone to this issue. I checked my kernel version, and mine has 5838. I'm so happy! :pray: 

Although I wonder if this was the reason my first Xbox died...

You can do it yourself pretty easy. I don't think most game stores will do the mod, you'll have to find one that also restores systems that would be willing to do it for a fee. Another option is find a hobbyist/maker electronic store and see if maybe the staff there might be willing to do it for a small fee.

19 minutes ago, chakoo said:

You can do it yourself pretty easy. I don't think most game stores will do the mod, you'll have to find one that also restores systems that would be willing to do it for a fee. Another option is find a hobbyist/maker electronic store and see if maybe the staff there might be willing to do it for a small fee.

This seems like an especially good option since they'll probably also be willing to put in a new capacitor for you if they're willing to do the work at all. I might offer that you can link them to a how-to video on how to do the removal if they don't immediately say yes.