Canadian Insurrection | UPDATE - Oversight commission rules invocation of Emergency Act by Trudeau was warranted

READY TO LISTEN TO WHAT?! Their demands are that the government is dissolved and replaced by unelected individuals, and they are shutting down, what, 5 or 6 border crossings at this point? Thousands of people are out of work because of them in Ottawa, and soon it will be tens of thousands in Ontario. 

The tweeter is also one of the worst MPs in Canada, totally insane.

40 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

READY TO LISTEN TO WHAT?! Their demands are that the government is dissolved and replaced by unelected individuals, and they are shutting down, what, 5 or 6 border crossings at this point? Thousands of people are out of work because of them in Ottawa, and soon it will be tens of thousands in Ontario. 

The tweeter is also one of the worst MPs in Canada, totally insane.

The whole point is to make sure the public has absolutely no trust left is Trudeau, and to force hom to step down. 

Why do you think Ottawa Police are doing nothing? They ste conservatives, ad most Police are, but the RCMP answer directly to the pm. If the RCMP can be seen as using violence on protesters, Trudeau is done. In fact I would expect some far right cops to use excessive force when all this goes off  exactly for the reason of further hurting Trudeau politically. 

They don't want a new government, they want mandates and Trudeau gone. 

Even Canadian news is turning on him. I saw earlier them showing a clip of him saying, "Canada is not a place where we will ever have vaccine passes". (Paraphrasing). Im not sure he knows it yet, but his career is over. Im sure the more ambitious members of his party smell blood, and will Singh continue to prop him up after this?

His legacy will be disgrace. 

44 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The whole point is to make sure the public has absolutely no trust left is Trudeau, and to force hom to step down. 

Why do you think Ottawa Police are doing nothing? They ste conservatives, ad most Police are, but the RCMP answer directly to the pm. If the RCMP can be seen as using violence on protesters, Trudeau is done. In fact I would expect some far right cops to use excessive force when all this goes off  exactly for the reason of further hurting Trudeau politically. 

They don't want a new government, they want mandates and Trudeau gone. 

Even Canadian news is turning on him. I saw earlier them showing a clip of him saying, "Canada is not a place where we will ever have vaccine passes". (Paraphrasing). Im not sure he knows it yet, but his career is over. Im sure the more ambitious members of his party smell blood, and will Singh continue to prop him up after this?

His legacy will be disgrace. 

That's pretty hyperbolic about his legacy. He's more likely to be remembered for the childcare program and the carbon levy, long-term. Oh, and the creation of independent senators.

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If the PM steps down does that trigger a new election?

Not right away as the interim leader takes over as PM (Freeland) This allows the party time to setup and hold a party vote on who they think should lead them forward. After that a national election is usually called 

10 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

And like, this is 100% a Russian-backed operation, and it's likely that it could tank Trudeau's numbers enough to have him resign before the next election. I'm actually okay with that as I think the Liberals would be better off with Freeland or Mendicino against Poilievre, but we should all be scared that Russia is so effective at destabilizing western democracies.

Where is this coming from?

Sorry I’m being triggered by people  offhandedly saying ‘it was Russia’ now after the Steele Dossier fiasco

38 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If the PM steps down does that trigger a new election?

28 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Not right away as the interim leader takes over as PM (Freeland) This allows the party time to setup and hold a party vote on who they think should lead them forward. After that a national election is usually called 

Not exactly. The PM is chosen by the House of Commons. So, typically the person who is in charge of the party that won an election.

When a PM steps down, they usually give notice and their party will elect a new leader (who becomes the PM). There is no election called unless either that party asks the GG for it, or Parliament votes non-confidence. 

The last few times this has happened (PM steps down, is replaced by new PM) have been: (old PM to new PM, time served before calling election)

Chretien to Martin: 6 months (2000s)

Mulroney to Campbell: 6 months (1990s)

Trudeau to Turner: 5 months (1980s)

Basically, once the party elects a new leader, they will likely not call an election for a while as they'll want some time to prepare a budget/plan, etc.

Now, if Trudeau were to step down immediately then the PM becomes whomever has the confidence of Parliament. There is no automatic succession of power like in the US. Likely it would be Chrystia Freeland since she is deputy PM, but theoretically anyone could be chosen if they can show the GG that they have the confidence of the House. When MacDonald died in office it was a Senator who was selected until the party could hold a vote on their new leader.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Where is this coming from?

Sorry I’m being triggered by people  offhandedly saying ‘it was Russia’ now after the Steele Dossier fiasco

There's a lot of circumstantial evidence that a lot of the big Facebook accounts promoting the protests are modded by people outside of Canada, and outside of North America in a lot of cases. I haven't seen anything definitively tying it to Russia. I think that's mostly people making assumptions for right now.

10 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's pretty hyperbolic about his legacy. He's more likely to be remembered for the childcare program and the carbon levy, long-term. Oh, and the creation of independent senators.

10 hours ago, silentbob said:

and for Marijuana Legalization. Still needs improvements in the legal markets, like by allowing edibles to be greater then their max 10mg. Especially with what the illegal market offers pretty easily still

Lol maybe to a few of his superfans. To the rest of the world it will be this. The weakest little PM.

• Guillotine 1

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Lol maybe to a few of his superfans. To the rest of the world it will be this. The weakest little PM.

The rest of the world doesn’t care about Canadian politics :p