Canadian Insurrection | UPDATE - Oversight commission rules invocation of Emergency Act by Trudeau was warranted

The Act gives the federal government extraordinary 30-day time-limited powers, to prohibit public assembly, travel and the use of specific property. It would allow Ottawa to designate protected places and force tow-truck companies, for example, to lend their trucks to the government to clear the roads. The Liberal government does not intend to use the Act to call in the army for now, two sources said.

• Sicko 3

53 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Abc Yes GIF by The Bachelorette

Since everything in politics is about optics, I think there's a way you can bring in the military to end the blockade without looking like a "tyrant" like the conservatives so desperately want.

1. Affirm the right of "people" to protest peacefully. Anyone who was just "there" is free to go/free to continue protesting/whatever. Anyone who engaged in any acts of violence or otherwise serious lawbreaking will be arrested.

2. Affirm that "property" does not have such rights. Any trucks still in whatever downtown area by whatever timeline will be seized by the military. Disable them with boots, or whatever means and that anyone tampering with them or impeding the work of the military will be arrested. Then tow them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I honestly believe that if Ottawa Police had confronted these people the Monday after the protests (after 3 days of them occupying) they could have gotten them cleared out in a few days, and a few arrests. The issue has really been the police not willing to confront these people in any way at all. When pushed, the majority of these people will not want to be arrested.

Maybe.  Since OKA and the G20, police have been very hesitant to confront people in protests.  IMHO, the protest in Ottawa is too large to be handled without the Military -- getting the trucks out are an issue.

2 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Since everything in politics is about optics, I think there's a way you can bring in the military to end the blockade without looking like a "tyrant" like the conservatives so desperately want.

1. Affirm the right of "people" to protest peacefully. Anyone who was just "there" is free to go/free to continue protesting/whatever. Anyone who engaged in any acts of violence or otherwise serious lawbreaking will be arrested.

2. Affirm that "property" does not have such rights. Any trucks still in whatever downtown area by whatever timeline will be seized by the military. Disable them with boots, or whatever means and that anyone tampering with them or impeding the work of the military will be arrested. Then tow them.

Easier said than done.

1)  I don't believe people should have the right to block critical infrastructure for extended periods of time (more than a couple of days).

2)  Almost no one believes that bringing in the military to protect border crossings or removing a downtown encampment are the acts of a "tyrant".  The people who do, wouldn't vote for Trudeau anyways.

The issue is removing the trucks -- in order to do that you need to get rid of the people.  Hooking up a wrecker to tow a truck takes over an hour, and no wrecker is going to bring in a $500k truck into a protest.

• True 1

I'd be curious to break this down further. For instance, what % of people think Trudeau has made it worse by being in the wrong about vaccines (thus causing the protests) vs made it worse by not doing enough to clear them out. It's the same as when people like Jason Kenney or Doug Ford have low approval over this stuff—some conservative politicians are disliked by those on the centre and left for not doing enough, while those on the further-right dislike them for doing too much. Either way, with these numbers it makes sense for Trudeau to own the situation now with the Emergencies Act—if people are going to hold you responsible, then you might as well use the powers you have to solve it.

It would be interesting to see the messaging/solidarity on this moving forward. I think (oddly enough) that Ford and Trudeau are natural, symbiotic allies. The other simply existing gives them greater chance of being re-elected, and Ford isn't an idealogue (he's instead the old-school conservative/politician just trying to make money for himself and friends without rocking the boat). I think Ford and Trudeau are going to present a united front on the Emergencies Act.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'd be curious to break this down further. For instance, what % of people think Trudeau has made it worse by being in the wrong about vaccines (thus causing the protests) vs made it worse by not doing enough to clear them out. It's the same as when people like Jason Kenney or Doug Ford have low approval over this stuff—some conservative politicians are disliked by those on the centre and left for not doing enough, while those on the further-right dislike them for doing too much. Either way, with these numbers it makes sense for Trudeau to own the situation now with the Emergencies Act—if people are going to hold you responsible, then you might as well use the powers you have to solve it.

I think the question is clear that people believe that he is in the wrong on how he has handled the protests (as opposed to the mandates in the past).  Whether those people think it is because he "hasn't cleared people out" or was "generally divisive" doesn't seem to be dealt with in this survey.  I am sure it is probably a combination of both.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Chris couldn't be more wrong.  Jagmeet is spot on, with his commentary.

Yeah, Singh's logic is sound—you can say that someone hasn't done enough (and be upset at that) while at the same time saying that acting now is a good thing. If I was in someone's house and a small fire started, I wouldn't veto them from calling 911 just because they previously wouldn't try using an extinguisher. You can be upset with one action but still support another.

• True 2

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Canadian Insurrection. UPDATE - Trudeau invokes Emergencies Act
2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The changes seem to be:

1)  RCMP can now enforce Provincial/Municipal laws

2)  They will freeze corporate accounts/insurance of vehicles that are part of the blockade

Not sure this will put more boots on the ground in downtown Ottawa -- I think this is what they need.

Yeah it seems pretty reasonable, at first glance. It lets Federal police step in where civic police are failing to act, compels tow truck operators to tow when ordered, and allows greater financial control of incoming donations.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah it seems pretty reasonable, at first glance. It lets Federal police step in where civic police are failing to act, compels tow truck operators to tow when ordered, and allows greater financial control of incoming donations.

I don't know how you compel a private citizen (like a tow truck/wrecker driver) to do something -- that might put their $500k-$1M truck at risk.

I'll be honest, I don't think this is what is needed -- I'm guessing there will still be a dance party on Wellington this weekend.