The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 2 (Amazon Prime | August 29) - update (08/14): Official Trailer

TwinIon

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Those rage baits don't show up on my feed; and it's hard to tell what they'll rage about because the show is all over the place. I have no idea why they are raging over this thing, but I personally dislike how it's used as a shortcut for us to give a shit about orcs and Adar's plight and then 10 minutes later want us to root for our hero(s) who will mercilessly slaughter them all. The both-sides'ing doesn't work here.

I don't think it was meant as a shortcut to give a shit about the orcs, but to show why they don't want to blindly follow Sauron. 

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I don't think it was meant as a shortcut to give a shit about the orcs, but to show why they don't want to blindly follow Sauron. 

Sure, but given that they haven't shown us a distinct difference between how Adar and Sauron uses orcs I can't buy it and don't care, much like some of the other confounding storylines.

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Sure, but given that they haven't shown us a distinct difference between how Adar and Sauron uses orcs I can't buy it and don't care, much like some of the other confounding storylines.

Adar wants the Orcs to live and have a society and a home, Sauron wants an army. I thought that was made pretty clear last season?

The fact that the Orcs don't blindly follow Sauron the way they did Morgoth is canonical (think Shagrat and Gorbag), as are Orc babies.

Bit of a downer episode for me. I feel like every time we stray too far away from Khazad Dum and the actual ring plotline, the show suffers. Isildur is a bit of a tool and Arondir is invincible.

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Isildur is a bit of a tool

So... following the books too closely now, HMMM?

:p 

I actually teared up on the last episode when the Entwife appeared. The Ents were my favorite characters by a lot in Two Towers and fuck Peter Jackson for completely changing them from the books for literally no reason.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

So... following the books too closely now, HMMM?

:p 

I actually teared up on the last episode when the Entwife appeared. The Ents were my favorite characters by a lot in Two Towers and fuck Peter Jackson for completely changing them from the books for literally no reason.

I don't think Isildur was a tool in the books at all. Peter Jackson kind of did Isildur dirty. Granted the Isildur in the books is much older than the Isildur in the show so he needs growth. I'm just not interested in the Isildur/Arondir/Theo plotline at all at this point.

39 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The Ents were my favorite characters by a lot in Two Towers and fuck Peter Jackson for completely changing them from the books for literally no reason.

He did? I haven't read the books. How so? 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

He did? I haven't read the books. How so? 

They willingly went to war and weren't selfish idiots. At the Ent-Moot they unanimously voted in favor of fighting. They went to war thinking that they would die, but at least they'd die fighting. They thought it was a suicide mission. On the journey to Isengard they began singing a song of war, a song they would march to before a battle; they said it was "the last march of the Ents".

Treebeard: "Come, my friends. The Ents are going to war. It is likely that we go to our doom. The last march of the Ents. But... if we stayed home and did nothing, doom would find us anyway, sooner or later."

The Ent's Marching Song:

To Isengard! Though Isengard be ringed and barred with doors of stone;
Though Isengard be strong and hard, as cold as stone and bare as bone,
We go, we go, we go to war, to hew the stone and break the door;

For bole and bough are burning now, the furnace roars - we go to war!
To land of gloom with tramp of doom, with roll of drum, we come, we come;
To Isengard with doom we come! With doom we come, with doom we come!

But instead, in the movie they all vote "no" because "it's not their war", but Pippin and Merry ask Treebeard to take them to Isengard, when they arrive he sees cut down trees and roars and suddenly EVERY FUCKING ENT MAGICALLY APPEARS despite Treebeard taking a day+ to arrive and Ents being notably "slow moving". Absolute derp that saved zero time and made the Ents seem like idiots (in the books, they knew that Saruman turned evil and was cutting down and burning the forest, because the Ents only job is to know about and take care of the forests ffs) - there was no reason to change it from the books.

• Halal 2

I’m curious: how many ads have you all been getting for this show? I get maybe a pair of pre-roll ads, but no ad breaks during the show. I got ad breaks in the middle of the recent Batman show, and that was much shorter show. /I feel like Amazon is really trying hard to make this show catch on (probably because they spend SO much money on it), but I wasn’t sure how universal my experience is.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I’m curious: how many ads have you all been getting for this show? I get maybe a pair of pre-roll ads, but no ad breaks during the show. I got ad breaks in the middle of the recent Batman show, and that was much shorter show. /I feel like Amazon is really trying hard to make this show catch on (probably because they spend SO much money on it), but I wasn’t sure how universal my experience is.

I've been watching on my TV's app and I've gotten none so far? Or if I did, I can skip them immediately. (I am often in the habit of skipping the billion things streaming front loads shows with from previews, to recaps, to credits. Given that it's hard to remember if I've just been mindless skipping any :p )

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I get pre-roll ads as well as a couple of mid-episode ad breaks.

19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Canon in what way? This show lines up as best as it can to the Jackson Hobbit and LOTR films I think.

Basically I think if it isn't directly from an actual story Tolkien wrote then it's glorified fan fiction in her eyes. The books, and Jackson movies are sacred to her, so I guess this making a story from bits of lore and ideas Tolkien had, rather than an adaptation of an actual narrative is what puts her off. I'm still going to try and convince her to watch it. 

Just now, Brick said:

Basically I think if it isn't directly from an actual story Tolkien wrote then it's glorified fan fiction in her eyes. The books, and Jackson movies are sacred to her, so I guess this making a story from bits of lore and ideas Tolkien had, rather than an adaptation of an actual narrative is what puts her off. I'm still going to try and convince her to watch it. 

I mean, how is turning bits of lore and ideas into a full on story not awesome as a LOTR fan? That strikes me as pretty weird, but to each their own. :p 

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, how is turning bits of lore and ideas into a full on story not awesome as a LOTR fan? That strikes me as pretty weird, but to each their own. :p 

That's what I would think, but like I said the books and movies are sacred to her, so I think she's anxious of anything sullying that. Kind of like a sequel or prequel to a movie you like coming out years later, and it's awful and retroactively makes the original worse because you can't just ignore it. 

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

That's what I would think, but like I said the books and movies are sacred to her, so I think she's anxious of anything sullying that. Kind of like a sequel or prequel to a movie you like coming out years later, and it's awful and retroactively makes the original worse because you can't just ignore it. 

I mean, Jackson's six movies changed a lot of things from the books though too, how come they get a pass?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Brick said:

🤷‍♂️

Although I know she wishes Jackson had included Sarumon going to The Shire. I didn't even know that was a thing until I saw the play in Toronto. 

TBF, as much as I love that part in the books, it absolutely needed to be cut from the movies as it kinda undercuts the final battle (at least, in movie form it probably would :p ). 
But, as I noted earlier in this thread, Jackson completely changed the Ents, further, he changed Faramir’s character completely from the books. He also changed how the hobbits first meet Aragorn (as Strider) and TONS of other things: it’s not just omissions of scenes.

If someone is extremely touchy on what’s canon, they should probably hate the movies tbh.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Brick said:

🤷‍♂️

Although I know she wishes Jackson had included Sarumon going to The Shire. I didn't even know that was a thing until I saw the play in Toronto. 

As noted, there's a lot different in the movies. Generally the movies made good decisions for an adaption (even though there are some changes I disliked, by and large it was good) but the same came be said here.

If you need help convincing her, let her know that unlike the movies, Tom Bombadil is in this show.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, legend said:

As noted, there's a lot different in the movies. Generally the movies made good decisions for an adaption (even though there are some changes I disliked, by and large it was good) but the same came be said here.

If you need help convincing her, let her know that unlike the movies, Tom Bombadil is in this show.

Already did. 

• Hugs 1

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The omissions were, things like Faramir and the Ents I find pointless and even dumb.

I don't know, you need to give them an arc. It's like how they gave Aragorn the "reluctant King" storyline in the movies. In the books, he never had that, he just thought he hadn't earned it yet, but he has much less emotional growth as a character. Same with Faramir. That's okay for the books, but would make the movies boring in my opinion

But yeah, not having Tom Bombadil, having Arwen rescue Frodo instead of Glorfindel, not having Gildor, Imrahil, Erkenbrand, not showing the epic fight between Gil-Galad, Elendil, and sauron in the prologue... none of those characters are really important to the story, at least as it pertains to the Lord of the Rings being its own self-contained thing.

7 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't know, you need to give them an arc. It's like how they gave Aragorn the "reluctant King" storyline in the movies. In the books, he never had that, he just thought he hadn't earned it yet, but he has much less emotional growth as a character. Same with Faramir. That's okay for the books, but would make the movies boring in my opinion

But yeah, not having Tom Bombadil, having Arwen rescue Frodo instead of Glorfindel, not having Gildor, Imrahil, Erkenbrand, not showing the epic fight between Gil-Galad, Elendil, and sauron in the prologue... none of those characters are really important to the story, at least as it pertains to the Lord of the Rings being its own self-contained thing.

Nah, changing the Ents made them seem like idiots. Treebeard roaring and all of the other Ents magically appearing made zero sense. The Ents deciding to go on what they thought was a march to their deaths, but “at least we’d die fighting”, was all of the character depth and development they needed. Faramir’s changes were lame: he was just another Boromir. Both changes felt like changes for the sake of changes which was reminiscent of adaptations for the era, it added nothing and in terms of Faramir drug out that scene.