The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 2 (Amazon Prime | August 29) - update (08/14): Official Trailer

TwinIon

On 8/29/2024 at 4:27 AM, Spork3245 said:

I don’t know why people shit on S1. It had way more good than bad. :p 

You need to know the precise amount of LOTR lore.

Know to little, and you'll have no idea what's going on.

Know too much, and you'll just be annoyed how different it is to the books.

I saw some speculation that the dark wizard is the eventual Witch King, which feels like it would fit. Already a wizard, is already commanding "witches," is aligned with Sauron, and assuming the Stranger is Gandalf, adds more backstory to them. 

14 hours ago, legend said:

I saw some speculation that the dark wizard is the eventual Witch King, which feels like it would fit. Already a wizard, is already commanding "witches," is aligned with Sauron, and assuming the Stranger is Gandalf, adds more backstory to them. 

I still like the idea that they're the blue wizards. It's pretty clear, even in the movies, that the nazgul were all men. 

The Blue wizards, however, had two origin stories. In one of them, Tolkien said they failed in their tasks and set up dark cults. In the other, he said they succeeded and without them, sauron would have won, though we don't know what they did. I think it would be cool if the show is combining them into one, with one going bad and one staying good.

The show is dropping way too many hints that he's gandalf, though...

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The Witch King is Numenorean and is probably going to be that wish.com Jack Black looking guy who's name I don't remember.

Is this the same guy I swear is Oliver Platt from Ready to Rumble?

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I still like the idea that they're the blue wizards. It's pretty clear, even in the movies, that the nazgul were all men. 

The Blue wizards, however, had two origin stories. In one of them, Tolkien said they failed in their tasks and set up dark cults. In the other, he said they succeeded and without them, sauron would have won, though we don't know what they did. I think it would be cool if the show is combining them into one, with one going bad and one staying good.

The show is dropping way too many hints that he's gandalf, though...

Is the dark wizard known to be Istari? Seemed like that was open still.

I'd also enjoy it being a bad Blue Wizard, but seems like Witch King could still fit.

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The Witch King is Numenorean and is probably going to be that wish.com Jack Black looking guy who's name I don't remember.

I was seeing a bunch of debate on that. Tolkien apparently wasn't decisive on it and left a lot of their origins vague.

But the person you're mentioning does sound like another good candidate.

1 minute ago, legend said:

Tolkien apparently wasn't decisive on it and left a lot of their origins vague.

He was vague on most things, but it's heavily suggested the first 3 to fall (and become Ring Wraiths), including The Witch King, are Black Numenoreans. The Black Numenoreans were an evil faction that essentially took over and lead to Numenor's downfall and were bent to the will of Sauron. This is more or less what wish.com Jack Black is doing.

One thing that is not left vague, though (AFAIK), is that the The Witch King was a human king before becoming a wraith. I'm pretty sure that Gandalf states this directly, but I could be mixed up. So, it'd be kind of lame for a random wizard in Rhun to be the Witch King.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

One thing that is not left vague, though (AFAIK), is that the The Witch King was a human king before becoming a wraith. I'm pretty sure that Gandalf states this directly, but I could be mixed up. So, it'd be kind of lame for a random wizard in Rhun to be the Witch King.

Yeah I think that one is solid. If the Dark Wizard is Istari, it rules him out. But I don't think they have said that yet?

10 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah I think that one is solid. If the Dark Wizard is Istari, it rules him out. But I don't think they have said that yet?

All they said is that he’s a wizard and nothing else. For all we know he could be a very tall dwarf.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

He was vague on most things, but it's heavily suggested the first 3 to fall (and become Ring Wraiths), including The Witch King, are Black Numenoreans. The Black Numenoreans were an evil faction that essentially took over and lead to Numenor's downfall and were bent to the will of Sauron. This is more or less what wish.com Jack Black is doing.

It's pretty heavily hinted at, if not outright stated, that the nazgul are the recipients of the Nine. One of them can't be an istari. Not to mention there's no way for an istari to turn invisible like the black riders do. 

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's pretty heavily hinted at, if not outright stated, that the nazgul are the recipients of the Nine.

The rings of men weren’t dispersed yet in the show, so I’m not sure why you’re saying this to me. And, no, it wasn’t “hinted at”, that’s literally how they became the Ring Wraiths :p 

3 of the nine rings were (at least suggested that they were) given to Numenoreans.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

One of them can't be an istari. Not to mention there's no way for an istari to turn invisible like the black riders do. 

No one said that an Istari is a Ring Wraith so I’m very confused by your post here. @legendis questioning who the evil wizard is or will become. We do not know if that character is Istari, or just a human, or a very tall dwarf.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The rings of men weren’t dispersed yet in the show, so I’m not sure why you’re saying this to me. And, no, it wasn’t “hinted at”, that’s literally how they became the Ring Wraiths :p 

3 of the nine rings were (at least suggested that they were) given to Numenoreans.

No one said that an Istari is a Ring Wraith so I’m very confused by your post here. @legendis questioning who the evil wizard is or will become. We do not know if that character is Istari, or just a human, or a very tall dwarf.

:nerd:

I'm disappointed the writing is as bad as last season, save for a few good moments (mostly with the dwarves).  I don't feel like I'm watching Sauron The Deceiver because his lies are not clever at all (or don't make any sense within the context of the show), and it's even more confusing the writers chose for him to reveal himself to Galadriel last season if they actually wanted to build real tension about his influence over the three rings. So many things are cringe. Gil-Galad might be the worst actor I've ever watched. The dialogue referencing the trilogy is unearned. The opening sequence explaining Halbrand's origin is pointlessly redundant. Orc babies. Celebrimbor. And so much more. The show is visually clean, but much like people surviving a pyroclastic flow to the face last season it usually doesn't make sense - especially the characters' decisions.  So far it's a highly polished turd.

So the reference to the Stranger as 

Spoiler

"Grandelf"

has to be deliberate, right :p 

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh looks like the dark wizard is 

Reveal hidden contents

Yep! I have to imagine he's

Spoiler

a Blue Wizard at this point.

15 minutes ago, Brick said:

Are people honestly upset at a brief shot of an orc baby and orc wife? Really? 

It's also canonical that the orcs procreated.

28 minutes ago, legend said:

Everyone just assumes so.

Then I'm calling it now, Adar will die not from one of our heroes like Galadriel, but from that husband orc walking in on Adar and his wife in sweet, passionate, hotter than the fires of Mordor inter-species love making!

• True 1

Finally caught up on this and watched the first four episodes. For the most part, this nails the same tone as the LOTR trilogy (and The Hobbit movies, I like 'em) and I love that congruity. A lot of awesome LOTR nerd lore (Tom Bombadil, Entwives, Barrow-wights!), seeing little summaries from the books in vast splendor on the screen is something I would have killed to see when I was a kid. Everyone making the show clearly put a lot of love into it, trying their best to have this show fit with the movies but also make sure are canonical to the books. At times the show is definitely imperfect (the way they do "fast travel" in this show is all over the place; the creation of the rings doesn't have the epic pomp and circumstance I feel like they should and even though this is how it goes down in the books it feels like Celembrimbor really is a complete idiot though perhaps that's also Sauron's influence). 

Really enjoying season 2 so far, not sure how you could be a LOTR book (or movie) fan and not love most of this. Not sure what kind of show they should have made instead that would be comparable, nailing the LOTR tone is a tightrope. Also, the Jack Black guy in Numenor's name is Pharazon.

4 hours ago, Brick said:

Are people honestly upset at a brief shot of an orc baby and orc wife? Really? 

Classic D1P framing device: Don't engage with the source (I'm the only one who mentioned it). Cherry-pick the tiniest piece of the discussion out of the context. Exaggerate said piece, and haughtily pass judgement about the person's "take". Keep that shit on the Current Events Board.

23 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Classic D1P framing device: Don't engage with the source (I'm the only one who mentioned it). Cherry-pick the tiniest piece of the discussion out of the context. Exaggerate said piece, and haughtily pass judgement about the person's "take". Keep that shit on the Current Events Board.

It's making the rounds in the familiar places, by the usual rage-bate suspects, actually. Your comment just reminded me of it.

33 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

My brother in Eru Ilúvatar, “orc baby” is the new outrage focal point online

IMG-9587.jpg

8 hours ago, Brick said:

It's making the rounds in the familiar places, by the usual rage-bate suspects, actually. Your comment just reminded me of it.

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

My brother in Eru Ilúvatar, “orc baby” is the new outrage focal point online

IMG-9587.jpg

Those rage baits don't show up on my feed; and it's hard to tell what they'll rage about because the show is all over the place. I have no idea why they are raging over this thing, but I personally dislike how it's used as a shortcut for us to give a shit about orcs and Adar's plight and then 10 minutes later want us to root for our hero(s) who will mercilessly slaughter them all. The both-sides'ing doesn't work here.