Update: Splinter Cell Remake/Reboot/Reimagining/Whatever director has departed Ubisoft

Commissar SFLUFAN

I was a fan of the last two SC mainline games as well as the original three. That said, I have accepted that I am old and subsequently I am not the target demographic they want to capture. Can't wait for younger, cooler Fisher that is constantly taking selfies whilst snapping necks in the dark! 

The problem for most big publishers is, as ever, money. So you can count on the following being included in some form:

Battle royal mode!

Loot boxes!

In game store!

Season Pass!

All of which detract from the potential quality of a focused stealth game. We need the original Thief team to make this, not Ubisoft. 

• True 1

3 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

It will be interesting to see what Ubisoft believes a modern day Splinter Cell will look like. There are a lot of interesting templates for inspiration from the newer Hitmans, MGS V, and Dishonored.  

And I can all-but-assure you that Ubisoft will blissfully ignore each and every one of 'em!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Report: Ubisoft has greenlit a new mainline Splinter Cell title, "small chance" of 2022 announcement
3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The problem for most big publishers is, as ever, money. So you can count on the following being included in some form:

Battle royal mode!

Loot boxes!

In game store!

Season Pass!

All of which detract from the potential quality of a focused stealth game. We need the original Thief team to make this, not Ubisoft.

One of the surprise good features of the splinter cell games was the spies vs mercs mode. I mean it's not too far fetched that they could pull something off in regards to a multiplayer mode.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

One of the surprise good features of the splinter cell games was the spies vs mercs mode. I mean it's not too far fetched that they could pull something off in regards to a multiplayer mode.

Spies vs Mech was great back in the day, wonder how it would hold up now though for the current crop of customers? 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Spies vs Mech was great back in the day, wonder how it would hold up now though for the current crop of customers? 

Probably pretty well. I mean a modern day version of that would feel a lot less janky (I hope) than the ones from PT and CT. I mean I'm sure more people would be willing to play Spies vs Mercs over Hyper Scape. :p

• Haha 1

Samfisher.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

From one stealth legend to another.

"The testers did not spend a lot of time with the possible Splinter Cell game. Ubisoft provided a vertical slice that was just a basic tutorial section. But this version of the game combined familiar Splinter Cell action with elements of the 2016 Hitman reboot. This does not mean this is the same game that Ubisoft greenlit. The publisher is likely always testing and considering new possibilities for its upcoming games. And any eventual Splinter Cell release may look nothing like this secret prototype from early 2021."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: next Splinter Cell title prototype reportedly "combined familiar Splinter Cell action with elements of the 2016 Hitman reboot"

Truthfully, in this day, Hitman is essentially the only real stealth game out there that has arguably has had profound success! Utilizing that platform to impart replayability into levels, customization options for tools/weapons to unlock for each mission, have them be sort of open-ended in how the player achieves their objectives, these are how you dig deep into the niche of tried & true gameplay in this mold yet shape it into catering for the Splinter Cell audience.

That all said, it is Ubisoft, so with how they are run currently & nearly all of their titles are copy/pasted ... I'll reserve judgement until there's a playable build.

• 1 month later...

I could see how open-world Splinter Cell might work if they approached it like a giant Hitman level, kind of BotW style... Here is the target and main objective; you can risk doing it right away, or you can complete objectives that give you more resources/information before you do. 

Alanah Pearce just had uploaded a video on her channel a few weeks ago speaking to the point of "You guys DO NOT WANT a new Splinter Cell game BECAUSE ... they'll make it open world."

BOOM!

Yeah, gotta say, not too keen on this endeavor but I'll wait patiently to see what unfolds & pray it isn't a half-baked idea.