Can France Resist the Woke invasion?

Not a reply to any individual post or idea, but just something that keeps coming into my head reading through all the conversation here.

You can integrate into a new culture while not leaving behind everything about the culture you came from. You can identify as a particular culture and "be proud of it" or whatever while still being able to criticize this or that about it.

My wife is part of a folk dance group with others from her country of birth (Bolivia). They put on shows--side note everyone should fly to Salt Lake City this weekend for a minor league hockey game where the group will be performing between periods thanks--and generally celebrate Bolivia and Bolivian culture. But they also like speaking English, try to help their family and friends move here, and will be the first to say that Bolivia isn't a great place to live to put it mildly. Yet they still love and celebrate Bolivia.

Learning the common tongue is the best way to integrate. Sometimes I feel like that's all you need. Spanish is so common here that it's like a second common tongue. Especially in Utah. Like, half the white people here speak Spanish. One thing I tell new arrivals to Utah from Latin America is to never think that all the pasty white people around you don't understand what you're saying if you're speaking Spanish. My MIL lives and works here now. She has for the past four years. She doesn't really speak English at all. She never wants to go back to Bolivia and she feels integrated from what I can tell. My wife's cousin came here to attend a school to learn English. She's been there for almost four years too. But she still really hasn't "learned" it because so many people here already speak Spanish that she only hangs out with people that speak Spanish.

• stepee 1

My dad’s English is actually pretty bad for someone that has lived here for over 50 years. I think he got to a level where he was like “ok I can effectively conduct business here now” and stopped learning after that. 

He still says “how you do” when meeting people, for example. I think he thinks he’s saying how do you do, but not really sure lol.

My MIL speaks English easily well enough to carry on a conversation with English only speakers. But she is often shy and embarrassed to do so. I’ve actually made a point to use some basic Spanish greetings and small talk with native Spanish speakers as a way to show that it’s OK around me to not be perfectly fluent. I’ve noticed it makes a lot of people more at ease when they hear my terrible Spanish 😂

I’m trying to buy the house next door to move my MIL here from New Mexico, and one of the things I hope to do is converse with her more in Spanish. My wife pretty much never speaks Spanish to me even though it is her first language 😭

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

My dad’s English is actually pretty bad for someone that has lived here for over 50 years. I think he got to a level where he was like “ok I can effectively conduct business here now” and stopped learning after that. 

He still says “how you do” when meeting people, for example. I think he thinks he’s saying how do you do, but not really sure lol.

My grandmother had a bad habit of switching from English to Dutch in a conversation without realizing it.  I always got a laugh when my grandfather would yell English at her.

My Grand-Father-In-Law natively spoke both French and English.  He did, however, grow up speaking English at home in the Eastern Townships of Quebec.  Over time (during the quiet revolution), the area he lived in changed from speaking predominantly English to predominantly French.  Eventually, he had to move to a retirement home, as he was unable to take care of himself.  Despite speaking fluent French, he refused to speak it to any of the nurses in the home.  Because, dammit, he grew up there speaking English.  He was a cantankerous bastard.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are legit cases where someone goes overboard with being PC and it causes real harm, but at least anecdotally it seems to me that the majority of people complaining about wokeness just don't like being held accountable for saying or doing shitty things. 

28 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I think there are legit cases where someone goes overboard with being PC and it causes real harm, but at least anecdotally it seems to me that the majority of people complaining about wokeness just don't like being held accountable for saying or doing shitty things. 

I’d argue there’s close to zero cases of “going overboard” causing “real harm” as the whole edifice falls apart upon closer inspection or specific cases or examples

6 hours ago, stepee said:

I just read the topic title again and remembered that the person who posted this was serious and had a laugh so thank you for the bump

As I was reading it I found the transition to "you should assimilate because if you don't you'll be sad" pretty funny. Always gotta tell other people what to do for their own wellbeing! Never mind that this country treats mental health as something only "blue-hairs" talk about and that we've got extremely unhappy native Americans shooting up the place every other day...

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I’d argue there’s close to zero cases of “going overboard” causing “real harm” as the whole edifice falls apart upon closer inspection or specific cases or examples

What's your take on this guy?

Everything that I've seen/read seems to indicate that he was really fucked by the internet outrage culture. 

There's also that story about the USC professor: 

usc-GettyImages-535059868_1500x1000px.jp
WWW.LAMAG.COM

Dr. Greg Patton's use of a Chinese word that sounds like a slur to American ears led to calls for his dismissal

Are these the exception to the rule? Or am I missing something about these specific cases? 

1 hour ago, Chollowa said:

What's your take on this guy?

Everything that I've seen/read seems to indicate that he was really fucked by the internet outrage culture. 

There's also that story about the USC professor: 

usc-GettyImages-535059868_1500x1000px.jp
WWW.LAMAG.COM

Dr. Greg Patton's use of a Chinese word that sounds like a slur to American ears led to calls for his dismissal

Are these the exception to the rule? Or am I missing something about these specific cases? 

1) dumb managers and a lack of a union fired this guy.  The “woke mob” didn’t actually come for this guy—his idiot boss did!

The driver of the other car posted the picture on Twitter and others quickly reposted the image and expanded its exposure.

Within days, dozens of comments had been posted online, with many saying that the sign is not racist and others cautioning SDG&E against firing him for such an innocuous gesture.

I will say though it doesn’t matter one way or another if he was Latino though but that’s beside the point. He did deserve protection and an investigation much like our next guy. 

2) I literally couldn’t care less about angry idiot college students and what happens on any campus. That said it seems like a review took place and the whole thing appears to be a misunderstanding and he didn’t lose his job, he’s still teaching albeit different courses. It was kicked up into a big todo by some right wing rag and a Chinese propaganda outfit however so some isolated complaints about a single instance of a university professor being misunderstood turned into international culture war fodder. So yeah blown far out of proportion 

It’s also worth remembering what caused these incidents to occur: a potential flashing (in certain contexts) of a white supremacy hand gesture and potentially some white guy using the n word. Proper investigations in these cases would probably have cleared both of these men.

But what is the alternative? That white and white passing guys can just apparently throw the n word around or flash white supremacy symbols? Nah I don’t want to live in that world (any more brazenly that is)

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I once got bombarded with crazies on social media because I used the term “noncompliant diabetics.”

I dunno if that’s wokeism, but it definitely seemed dumb. 

I assume these are people who are being told, "yo you're diabetic this is gonna kill you" and they're like "aight I'm gonna eat these nachos and not move all week"

Were they the angry ones? lol

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

I assume these are people who are being told, "yo you're diabetic this is gonna kill you" and they're like "aight I'm gonna eat these nachos and not move all week"

Were they the angry ones? lol

Lol, probably. Like, come work healthcare and see what I mean. Diabetic patient literally ordered a large pizza and a 2 liter root beer, consumed it all, then when his glucose was in the 500s, he just said it was the steroids. 

• Haha 1

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Lol, probably. Like, coke work healthcare and see what I mean. Diabetic patient literally ordered a large pizza and a 2 liter root beer, consumed it all, then when his glucose was in the 500s, he just said it was the steroids. 

Man I could go for a whole pizza. I actually make my own sometimes, my dough will cold ferment for 3 days before using it and it's👌

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I once got bombarded with crazies on social media because I used the term “noncompliant diabetics.”

I dunno if that’s wokeism, but it definitely seemed dumb. 

Is that in contrast to "noncompliant patient with diabetes"? I know there were some attempts a while ago to not refer to patients as their ailments, but this was when I was working in a hospital last, so... 16 years ago. :p

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Is that in contrast to "noncompliant patient with diabetes"? I know there were some attempts a while ago to not refer to patients as their ailments, but this was when I was working in a hospital last, so... 16 years ago. :p

I think they took the issue with the noncompliant part. That was offensive. 

We still use terms like diabetic all the time, though. That’s never going to change.