Sonic Frontiers - November 8, 2022

Keyser_Soze

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

@stepee I fuckin bought this with no regrets! I've been going back and forth with this and GOW and Sonic is very good. I'm only like 2 hours in but it's really well done for the genre with beautiful music and satisfying gameplay. The pop-in doesn't bother me at all and the camera is not as bad as reviews make it out to seem. 

I've loved Sonic my whole life and this is the best 3d version I've played yet!

I'm glad you got a great 3D sonic game because I know you're a huge fan.

I’m a big fan of Adventure and even played through it again this Summer and I still enjoy it, but yeah it’s no question, this is the best 3D Sonic game. It’s just an absolute joy to play. It’s really really fun. And also kind of relaxing without being boring, which is a hard thing to pull off.

• True 1

Man there is a lot of content here though. I’ve been playing quite a bit and I’m still only on the second world. There are so many different paths for trick runs that net you the items needed to advance optional story parts, but more than anything give you an opportunity to just run around and have fun. It’s kind of like the Forza Horizon games or Spiderman for me where I can sink a bunch of hours in doing pretty much nothing because Im addicted to just moving around in it.

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee I played this for 2 hours straight after playing GOW. Ibh, the visuals can be pretty damn impressive. Yea there's pop-in but the game world looks fantastic.

it's just nonstop activity and fun gameplay. It's a nice change of pace from GOW. I hope I stick with it.

Yeah it’s actually a surprisingly nice looking game besides the pop-in which is likely some engine limitation, I don’t think it’s a lack of polish thing per se. They have to fix that next game obviously but the rest of it yeah is quite nice.

Though I hope the next one has an open world that is more cartoonish also. They finally sold me on how this one looks because of the world and atmosphere this one takes place in, but next time I’d love an open world Green Hill and Mushroom Kingdom and stuff.

The big battles against some of these huge multi screen high robot creatures are seriously cool looking. 

The last Sonic games were made on like a $23 budget so this has been quite the step up!

Oh fuck the final phase of the world 2 boss though. Sonic Team still doing that thing where they make bosses that rely on certain special timing qte elements that are difficult to even understand what they want you to do until it’s too late and you have to start the whole thing again. They fucking love doing that and I don’t get it.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

The big battles against some of these huge multi screen high robot creatures are seriously cool looking. 

I ran into a boss that was fuckin massive and it was an epic scene with Sonic trying to beat him. Ultimately you can't beat him yet but it was a badass scene.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Where you at in it?

I can't really say tbh. I'm just roaming the open world unlocking stuff and upgrading. Some of the cyberspace levels are traditional old school sonic which took me by surprise. Just a good time overall with really relaxing music. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I can't really say tbh. I'm just roaming the open world unlocking stuff and upgrading. Some of the cyberspace levels are traditional old school sonic which took me by surprise. Just a good time overall with really relaxing music. 

So you are still in the forest world? Some cool stuff is coming.

@stepee Played 2 more hours of this today. Ok, this shit is addicting and more importantly fun! I'm still on the first island and it keeps saying "Collect Amy's memory tokens"...

I have 29 hearts just by exploring the world. When I hit 25 I believe it told me to talk to Amy. So I did thinking that would end that "mission" but after the cutscene it still says "Collect Amy's memory tokens".

How do I progress in the game? I do like how they really don't hold your hand and you are left just exploring the island and have to just figure shit out. I just want to progress though.

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee Played 2 more hours of this today. Ok, this shit is addicting and more importantly fun! I'm still on the first island and it keeps saying "Collect Amy's memory tokens"...

I have 29 hearts just by exploring the world. When I hit 25 I believe it told me to talk to Amy. So I did thinking that would end that "mission" but after the cutscene it still says "Collect Amy's memory tokens".

How do I progress in the game? I do like how they really don't hold your hand and you are left just exploring the island and have to just figure shit out. I just want to progress though.

That part is just wonky, the next world doesn’t do it as much, but yeah, you just keep finding memory tokens and talking to Amy for a bit lol. There are light blue containers on the ground wthat explode into a bunch of tokens when you circle them while holding down Y, that’s the easiest way to get a bunch of tokens. 

28 minutes ago, stepee said:

There are light blue containers on the ground wthat explode into a bunch of tokens when you circle them while holding down Y, that’s the easiest way to get a bunch of tokens. 

Interesting. I don't recall seeing blue containers but that is a huge help. I've been exploring so much for tokens that I basically opened the entire map. It’s odd, for instance, above Amy's head reads 15 tokens and when I speak to hear a voice says you're not ready yet? I had like 25 tokens...😆  What's up with that?

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Interesting. I don't recall seeing blue containers but that is a huge help. I've been exploring so much for tokens that I basically opened the entire map. It’s odd, for instance, above Amy's head reads 15 tokens and when I speak to hear a voice says you're not ready yet? I had like 25 tokens...😆  What's up with that?

I can’t remember exactly that same issue. Maybe you are supposed to be getting Chaos emeralds at the moment? I think it’s that you have enough tokens but that is locked until either you get a chaos emerald or take down a titan.

For memory tokens I mean these things contain a lot

SONIC_FRONTIERS_MEMORYTOKENS3.jpg?width=

Just got to world 3 last night! Gonna go back and 100% clear the map on world 2 first tho

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I can’t remember exactly that same issue. Maybe you are supposed to be getting Chaos emeralds at the moment? I think it’s that you have enough tokens but that is locked until either you get a chaos emerald or take down a titan.

For memory tokens I mean these things contain a lot

SONIC_FRONTIERS_MEMORYTOKENS3.jpg?width=

Just got to world 3 last night! Gonna go back and 100% clear the map on world 2 first tho

Thank you. I've seen them but had know idea I could circle it and obtain hearts. I find the music really relaxing which makes playing really enjoyable. 

lol, I now advance the story so quickly by 

16 hours ago, stepee said:

There are light blue containers on the ground wthat explode into a bunch of tokens when you circle them while holding down Y, that’s the easiest way to get a bunch of tokens. 

:doh:

Circling around a lot of objects gives you a ton of shit. Oh well.

• Haha 1

Holy shit is this game fuckin fun! I litteraly put down GOW to play this. I'm 6 hours in and there is ALWAYS something to do immediately. There isn't one boring moment and I love the sense of discovery. 

I'm still on the first island but I think I'm getting close to beating it. I mean you're constantly upgrading, collecting, and discovering. They really pulled this off and I'm really happy I gave this game a chance. I am having so much fun. 

@stepee I'm at this section 

Spoiler

I unlocked the Gravestone Puzzle and it seems I'll be fighting a Titan afterwards. Am I getting close to beating the island?

29 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Holy shit is this game fuckin fun! I litteraly put down GOW to play this. I'm 6 hours in and there is ALWAYS something to do immediately. There isn't one boring moment and I love the sense of discovery. 

I'm still on the first island but I think I'm getting close to beating it. I mean you're constantly upgrading, collecting, and discovering. They really pulled this off and I'm really happy I gave this game a chance. I am having so much fun. 

@stepee I'm at this section 

Hide contents

I unlocked the Gravestone Puzzle and it seems I'll be fighting a Titan afterwards. Am I getting close to beating the island?

yes you are! also that puzzle sucked

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I may YouTube it if it gets to frustrating. Does the game keep up this pace of constant fun? I'm pretty surprised here.

Pretty much because it’s just built like a playground so if controlling Sonic here clicks with you then it just keeps being fun to play. That’s why although those containers give a lot of memory tokens, I still go after all the unique tokens throughout the map (well, a lot of them, there’s tons of them) because you may only get one but those are all usually really fun paths to take also.

• Thanks 1

Beat the first island and that stone puzzle I literally just kept moving stuff around and I got lucky. The boss battle was cool and Ares island is fantastic. I was afraid that it would be extremely similar to the first island but it's got different enemies and challenges. I don't know if I'm on some sort of drug but this is one the most fun games I played in a long time. I litteraly played this all day completely ignoring GOW. 

Maybe the fun will wear out but as of right now this should have reviewed much, much better. Sure there is pop-in and some camera issues but overall it is a complete joy to control and play. 

• stepee 1

Man with how good this is though, it makes that ign initial preview even more mind boggling. Like how did they approve that as the first look of this game. They made parts that work very well, like the fighting, seem somehow terrible and tedious. They didn’t set up the games strange atmosphere well at all making it just awkward. And the absolute dumbest thing was not showing at all that it has the classic Sonic stages. They needed a good 2 minute sizzle reel to introduce this not whatever the fuck that wasZ

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

Man with how good this is though, it makes that ign initial preview even more mind boggling. Like how did they approve that as the first look of this game. They made parts that work very well, like the fighting, seem somehow terrible and tedious. They didn’t set up the games strange atmosphere well at all making it just awkward. And the absolute dumbest thing was not showing at all that it has the classic Sonic stages. They needed a good 2 minute sizzle reel to introduce this not whatever the fuck that wasZ

I've been searching reviews on YouTube and there is a lot of people loving the hell out of this game like we are. So fuckin fun.

• Hugs 1

I made it to the fourth world now, there is a change to the core loop for this one that is pretty fun.

This map doesn’t seem to have the regular challenges and such at least not yet, instead it’s having me make my way to the top of these 6 towers. I did two of them and they were really fun to make your way up.

I’m going to go back and clear 100% of the map for World 3 before doing more though.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Playing more tonight. I read your "spoiler" because I know so much about this game from researching on YouTube. I already knew what you said and I'm really happy to hear it's still fun. 

Yeah it’s not a spoiler spoiler but just in case anyone wanted to be surprised by the new objective. But yeah I’m really looking forward to doing more tonight! I’m kinda wondering how much I have left and where the 9 classic stages I haven’t encountered yet fit in before the end. 

SONIC TEAM DONT SWITCH STYLE AGAIN KEEP THIS AND MAKE ANOTHER LIKE IT JUST IMPROVE THINGS AND POLISH BUT DONT CHANGE THE FUNDAMENTAL DESIGN HERE OR IM SO MAAAAD

• True 1

On 11/21/2022 at 3:37 PM, stepee said:

I’m sorry Kirby but I think you may be dethroned for “game I enjoyed playing the most” this year :(

Elden Ring would still be my pick for best game of the year, but I’ll see when I finish this and GOW2.

Wow. I never felt so betrayed in my life

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2
  • True 1

20 hours ago, best3444 said:

I can't get the chaos emerald in

Reveal hidden contents

I'll have to Google/YouTube it.

I got this.  This morning I thought I was finished with the 2nd island. Nope! 😆 

I took 8 minutes on one of cyberspace levels. I genuinely was stuck and barely figured it out. I actually started to panic it was kinda funny. 

• Haha 1