Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - update (09/14): multiplayer class guides from ItalianSpartacus

Commissar SFLUFAN

Super fun time playing last night. This has been the coop experience my friends and I have been waiting for. Game looks and runs great. I am on Steam and them on Xbox. We only ran into one issue. We had only had 1 team wipe on an encounter and when we were sent back to the checkpoint the game didn’t spawn any ammo or let us pick up any medic stim kits. So what felt like a hard encounter suddenly got turned into hard mode. lol 

oh, but this game seems to be cooking my CPU. Not only have I never seen a game running my CPU at ~45% utilization, but I didn’t realize until near the end of the night that the CPU temps are running at 95c. Wtf? Looked it up online and I am not alone, but does seem exclusive to intel. 

I don’t think this was throttling my performance, since 4k all max graphic settings, DLSS quality I was getting a pretty solid feeling 90-100fps all night. 

• Hype 1

35 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Super fun time playing last night. This has been the coop experience my friends and I have been waiting for. Game looks and runs great. I am on Steam and them on Xbox. We only ran into one issue. We had only had 1 team wipe on an encounter and when we were sent back to the checkpoint the game didn’t spawn any ammo or let us pick up any medic stim kits. So what felt like a hard encounter suddenly got turned into hard mode. lol 

oh, but this game seems to be cooking my CPU. Not only have I never seen a game running my CPU at ~45% utilization, but I didn’t realize until near the end of the night that the CPU temps are running at 95c. Wtf? Looked it up online and I am not alone, but does seem exclusive to intel. 

I don’t think this was throttling my performance, since 4k all max graphic settings, DLSS quality I was getting a pretty solid feeling 90-100fps all night. 

BTW, if you manually add the game’s exe to the nvidia app you can enable RTX HDR for your GPU to automatically add HDR to it (assuming you’re playing on something that’s HDR capable :p ). The game not having HDR by default and Windows auto-HDR apparently not working with it are some odd choices.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, if you manually add the game’s exe to the nvidia app you can enable RTX HDR for your GPU to automatically add HDR to it (assuming you’re playing on something that’s HDR capable :p ). The game not having HDR by default and Windows auto-HDR apparently not working with it are some odd choices.

yep I play on Tv. Thanks, I was unaware. 

• Halal 1

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yep I play on Tv. Thanks, I was unaware. 

Make sure you add the game exe and not the launcher exe to the nvidia app btw

I don’t have the game yet so I’m not sure the location, I just saw someone mention it on Reddit :p 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Make sure you add the game exe and not the launcher exe to the nvidia app btw

I don’t have the game yet so I’m not sure the location, I just saw someone mention it on Reddit :p 

probably in its folder like my other Steam games. I should be able to find it. 

also, should I be worried about 95 degree CPU temps on a 13700KF? I see a lot of conflicting information. Some say yes, some say it is fine on 13 & 14 gen intels. 

6 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

probably in its folder like my other Steam games. I should be able to find it. 

I think the main folder has a launcher and the actual exe for the game is buried a bit in sub folders. Something like that.

6 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

also, should I be worried about 95 degree CPU temps on a 13700KF? I see a lot of conflicting information. Some say yes, some say it is fine on 13 & 14 gen intels. 

Temp limit on 13th gen Intel is 100F iirc

• Halal 1

On 9/7/2024 at 4:32 AM, Spork3245 said:

It’s why he left The Witcher, however, it seems to be stuck in production hell.

I don’t think it’s gotten that far yet. Last I heard the TV team and the company that makes Warhammer hadn’t come to an agreement on the narrative and creative directions of the show so nothing had started yet. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - update (09/04): reviews from OpenCritic, others posted
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Oh yeah - this is definitely a 360/PS3 era game in a shiny coat of paint, and I WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!

IGN agrees with you

WWW.IGN.COM

Space Marine 2’s Xbox 360-style simplicity is a sweet relief from modern AAA's obsession with overstuffed open worlds.

Or you read that first and you agree with IGN

I’m getting to this tonight. I absolutely loved the original, and I also actually play Warhammer (mostly Fantasy/The Old World, not 40k as I really dislike the newest edition).  I just wanted to finish Astro first, because I’m going to play a lot of this if it’s as good as the original. 

9 hours ago, Brick said:

IGN agrees with you

WWW.IGN.COM

Space Marine 2’s Xbox 360-style simplicity is a sweet relief from modern AAA's obsession with overstuffed open worlds.

Or you read that first and you agree with IGN

I didn't read that particular IGN article, but it's a sentiment that's been pretty widely-expressed across the interwebs.

I will be honest, I do not know what did it or if it was a little bit of everything. This week there was a patch for this game a Windows update that some are saying has improved performances in other games, and an Nvidia driver update. All of which my PC installed. So I don’t know what did what on its own. 

Results for me while running the game at 4K Ultra, DLSS Quality I saw about a 10% improvement in frame rate. Instead if 90-100fps, I was getting 100-110 more often. CPU temps dropped significantly. Down from 95 degrees to about 70 degrees. 

I also noticed that my GPU utilization was only at about 80% when it used to be 100%. So I changed from DLSS Quality to native 4K. Utilization went up to 99%. My frame rate averaged 60fps quite a bit, but would drop into the 50s during combat and into the 40s during cinematics. My CPU temps were even lower now down into the 60s. 

so it is still pretty obvious that I am CPU bottlenecking my GPU in this game. But I am getting much better performance and temps than last week. 

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

In this case, they really do make 'em like they used to.

A few weeks ago I watched a Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 overview video that stirred something in me. Something about a gang of bulky Ultramarines ripping apart hordes of Tyranids while a disembodied voice described a campaign, co-op scenarios, and multiplayer modes put a huge smile on my face, which was strange, because the game didn't look all that remarkable to me.

Saber's sequel was hitting a nostalgia button I didn't know I had, but it wasn't until I played it that I understood: Space Marine 2 is a 2007 console shooter with a 2024 coat of paint. It's uncomplicated, indulgent, and has a surprising variety that's taking me back to a time when campaigns were king and games were more well-rounded packages. It's not perfect, but it's really hitting the spot.

An obvious third-person shooter touchstone that comes to mind is Gears of War, whose fully co-op campaigns were backed up by robust competitive multiplayer and Horde modes. I'd argue Space Marine 2 is closer to an elite tier of mid-budget games from the mid-to-late 2000s that had one solid hook that carried you through an eight-hour campaign, and often squeezed a bit more juice out of the lemon with extra modes in hopes that you wouldn't trade it in after a week.

On 8/27/2024 at 2:51 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

GV_uCgtXgAAfqaD?format=jpg&name=900x900

Looking at this again I wonder what exactly they mean by "new enemy". Do they mean a singular new Tyranid type like "here's one that has 8 claws!", or do they mean a whole new faction like the Orks? I'd have to imagine it's the former given "new enemy" is listed a few times throughout their battle plan, and introducing a whole new faction that many times within a year doesn't seem as feasible as a singular unit, but man it would be wild if it was the latter. Maybe if this game is a big enough success they can do a big expansion that introduces brand new race after about a year. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - update (09/14): multiplayer class guides from ItalianSpartacus
23 hours ago, Brick said:

Looking at this again I wonder what exactly they mean by "new enemy". Do they mean a singular new Tyranid type like "here's one that has 8 claws!", or do they mean a whole new faction like the Orks? I'd have to imagine it's the former given "new enemy" is listed a few times throughout their battle plan, and introducing a whole new faction that many times within a year doesn't seem as feasible as a singular unit, but man it would be wild if it was the latter. Maybe if this game is a big enough success they can do a big expansion that introduces brand new race after about a year. 

Yeah, I really can't imagine adding a new faction (Tau, Necrons, Orks, etc.) outside of a major expansion.

On 9/13/2024 at 4:23 PM, Brick said:

It would be cool if it’s a whole new race but that seems crazy. My guess is that it’s a new top tier boss/mini boss type enemy. Something that has new mechanics to fight. 

Just beat the campaign, a little short, but good dumb fun. I'm interested in seeing what they do with the co-op PVE in the future. I almost feel that its a pretty good platform for on-going content and monetization.

I do wish the single player had progression like the PvE does, obviously the game is balanced around no-progression, but it seems like they could have done a lot with it.

9 hours ago, ThreePi said:

Just beat the campaign, a little short, but good dumb fun. I'm interested in seeing what they do with the co-op PVE in the future. I almost feel that its a pretty good platform for on-going content and monetization.

I do wish the single player had progression like the PvE does, obviously the game is balanced around no-progression, but it seems like they could have done a lot with it.

Do you mean beyond what they’ve already announced for PvE Multiplayer? They’ve already said there’s more operations coming and that the only thing they’ll ever charge for are cosmetics. Any actual new game related stuff will be free. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Do you mean beyond what they’ve already announced for PvE Multiplayer? They’ve already said there’s more operations coming and that the only thing they’ll ever charge for are cosmetics. Any actual new game related stuff will be free. 

I just think there's potential for Space Marines as a Service. I know there are more Operations planned, but I feel like they could do more with what they've built so far.

The main glaring issue that I have with this game is that the overall sound quality is pretty darned mediocre, an issue that genuinely appears to be endemic with lots of modern action games.

A Space Marine bolter weapon should pack a definitive audible "punch", one that lets the player know that you're slamming explosive kinetic rounds into the targe, but that's simply not the case here at all.  The bolter's audio presence is practically indistinguishable from a current-day weapon in Call of Duty and if anything, it's even less impactful aurally than that.  This problem isn't just limited to ranged weapons as practically every audio element in the game has a "muffled" quality to it which some players accurately describe as if the sound is coming from "another room".  This is especially evident with the chainsword which barely even audibly registers when it should be one of the most distinctive sounds in the entire game!

The game's sound profile really, really could've used another pass or two or three before release because its deficiencies do detract somewhat heavily from what is overall a really damned fine 40K experience.

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The main glaring issue that I have with this game is that the overall sound quality is pretty darned mediocre, an issue that genuinely appears to be endemic with lots of modern action games.

A Space Marine bolter weapon should pack a definitive audible "punch", one that lets the player know that you're slamming explosive kinetic rounds into the targe, but that's simply not the case here at all.  The bolter's audio presence is practically indistinguishable from a current-day weapon in Call of Duty and if anything, it's even less impactful aurally than that.  This problem isn't just limited to ranged weapons as practically every audio element in the game has a "muffled" quality to it which some players accurately describe as if the sound is coming from "another room".  This is especially evident with the chainsword which barely even audibly registers when it should be one of the most distinctive sounds in the entire game!

The game's sound profile really, really could've used another pass or two or three before release because its deficiencies do detract somewhat heavily from what is overall a really damned fine 40K experience.

I’m only somewhat convinced that frags make sound at all!

• True 1