Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update (08/10): 80% of development costs recouped, no royalties paid to Remedy yet

Commissar SFLUFAN

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update (06/08): "Night Springs" expansion releases on June 8 and features Jesse Faden, totally-not-the-guy-from Quantum Break, and Rose from original game
2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

IT'S NOT THE QUANTUM BREAK GUY!

IT'S "TIME BREAKER" WHO IS A LEGALLY DISTINCT INDIVIDUAL WHO IS TOTALLY  NOT THE QUANTUM BREAK GUY!

Anyway, super glad to see this DLC coming out tomorrow. Gives me the motivation to finally finish Alan Wake 2. Not that I wasn't motivated: I just keep forgetting about the fucking game because it's literally the only EGS game I have installed, and I only open EGS once a week to steal free games I'll never play.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update (06/08): "Night Springs" expansion releases on June 8 and features totally-not Jesse Faden from Control, totally-not the guy from Quantum Break, and totally-not Rose from original game

Just finished the first episode -- short, about 45 minutes maybe?

It plays out, as the DLC name suggests, as an episode of the in-game satirical version of Twilight Zone called Night Springs.  The first episode was very linear, and very combat heavy.  You're equipped with an automatic shot gun with infinite ammo.  Plays very different than the base game, and was fun for what it is.

The first episode, for what its worth, does not need you to finish the base game to play it (or tie into the ending at all).

By first episode do you guys mean thats the entire Night Springs dlc or does it have multiple episodes itself? I wasn’t expecting anything super lengthy but 45min would make me p sad :P

50 minutes ago, stepee said:

By first episode do you guys mean thats the entire Night Springs dlc or does it have multiple episodes itself? I wasn’t expecting anything super lengthy but 45min would make me p sad :P

There's three episodes in the Night Springs DLC. The first one is with the Waitress... the second one is with "not Jesse Faden". I started that one last night after beating the first episode. This one plays more like traditional Alan Wake.

• stepee 1

There are 3 different episodes.  The second is really short, maybe slightly less than 30 minutes.  The other two are in the 45 minutes - 1 hour.

Each is pretty unique.

I have a hard time recommending getting the deluxe version upgrade just for these three episodes.  Yes, they have great fan service for Remedy fans.

Masybe, after the next DLC comes out, there will be enough content to justify the price.

Just played the first episode; that was a blast! Almost forgot how amazing this game looks. I loved the destruction in the last section. I also loved the hyper 50s aesthetic with the beautifully modeled diner. Always happy to stare at that location. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the Time Breaker dlc and that was definitely my favorite and added most to remedyverse lore. This whole dlc was a lot of fun and a great way to go about it. In some ways with the Night Springs and more action focus it reminded a bit of a sequel to American Nightmare. I’m pretty sure once the Lake House drops the expansion pass will be totally worth it.

• Hype 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Brian said:
WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

Remedy has published its financial results for the first half of 2024, and reported an increase in revenue and "improve…

Still no royalties. Recouped about 80%

Considering that the game didn't release on the de-facto PC platform and will only get a physical release in a couple of months, I can't imagine that Remedy is too terribly disappointed by its commercial performance at this point.

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Considering that the game didn't release on the de-facto PC platform and will only get a physical release in a couple of months, I can't imagine that Remedy is too terribly disappointed by its commercial performance at this point.

"With full control of the IP and publishing rights to Control and Alan Wake, we can choose how to bring future games to the market," said Vitala. "We have been weighing self-publishing and related business models, as well as discussing partner publishing opportunities.

So, Steam release in the future? :p

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alan Wake II (PS5/Xbox Series/EGS) - update (08/10): 80% of development costs recouped, no royalties paid to Remedy yet