Update (09/18): The "inflation jihad" is officially over

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

anyhow bye bye bonkers yen exchange rate, I didn't get to enjoy the peak of 160 yen to the dollar but it was like 140 yen to the dollar when I was there

:sadsun:

image.png

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

I did a lot of damage but wish I had more funds to do a little more while I could. LoL.

3 minutes ago, Nokra said:

So I'm basically a n00b when it comes to understanding macroeconomics...  :blush:

Can someone ELI5 what a rate cut means for e.g. 1) your average consumer 2) your average investor and 3) your average person looking to buy their first house?

(1) average consumer - lower interest rates on credit cards

(2) average investor - lower borrowing cost of capital which means "cheaper" money for business expansion

(3) average person looking to buy their first house - lower mortgage interest rates but you're still not going to be able to afford a home anyway so just give up

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

(3) average person looking to buy their first house - lower mortgage interest rates but you're still not going to be able to afford a home anyway so just give up

If it's 25 bps rates will likely not move at all, maybe go up slightly?, since that rate cut was expected and already baked in to where we are at right now. At 50 we should see some a bit more downward movement on rates, which are as low as they have been since early 2023. 

Cut all the rates. I want a 5090.

• True 1

22 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

(1) average consumer - lower interest rates on credit cards

(2) average investor - lower borrowing cost of capital which means "cheaper" money for business expansion

Thanks. Home ownership isn't necessarily out of reach for me here in Portland, if I'm willing to move out to the burbs and go for a condo rather than a house, which I might be.  :p

7 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

If it hasn't happened yet, it will very soon.

Thanks. Fiancee was thinking the same thing. I just took a bunch of it and put it into a CD at 4.7% for nine months (both accounts are with Marcus). I need money available for our wedding next year so I couldn't just put all of it in the CD.

I'm in Thailand which has always been about 30 baht to a dollar. The pandemic didn't change that. the Thai government (praise Vajiralongkorn, don't shut down my internet please, I swear I won't mention your queer rave phase while your father was in power and it's totally not weird to require businesses to hang your portrait above door height. Not weird at all..)

Anyway it seems like Thailand just ties their currency t]o the dollar. It was 30 baht to a dollar the first time I came here in 2017, it's 30 baht to a dollar now.

12 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

If it hasn't happened yet, it will very soon.

Yeah I put a bunch into six month treasuries in the last couple of weeks in anticipation of this. Too late for that now though so a CD is the best long term option to quickly lock something in.