NJ gubernatorial is way too f’n close

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You live in Essex County? Whereabouts? I'm from Essex County (Newark).

I have bounced around from South Orange (went to Seton Hall for my MBA), to Maplewood, and now I live in Millburn.  My wife works for Prudential in Newark. 

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

To who? Not surprising to me or any people of color over the age of 40 that I know. Republicans haven't been waging the culture war since the 60s for nothing.

Pearlsteins books are very good for white boys like me (especially) to understand GOP racial politics in a historical context

8 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I have bounced around from South Orange (went to Seton Hall for my MBA), to Maplewood, and now I live in Millburn.  My wife works for Prudential in Newark. 

Nice. My parents just moved to Maplewood this summer and my mom worked for Prudential back when I was a kid.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

The three of us are meeting up one day at a Portuguese restaurant in the Ironbound. It is settled.

Next time I'm back in town you're on. Some great restaurants down there.

• stepee 2

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

To who? Not surprising to me or any people of color over the age of 40 that I know. Republicans haven't been waging the culture war since the 60s for nothing.

33 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Pearlsteins books are very good for white boys like me (especially) to understand GOP racial politics in a historical context

This is all absolutely true, but Republicans also used to have an actual platform they ran on too, and they don’t really do anymore. It’s not so much that this is a new tactic, it just wasn’t the only arrow in their quiver.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is all absolutely true, but Republicans also used to have an actual platform they ran on too, and they don’t really do anymore. It’s not so much that this is a new tactic, it just wasn’t the only arrow in their quiver.

That "platform" was always smoke and mirrors and only hid what they were really pushing. Fear of the Other. The only difference now is that they aren't hiding it anymore and are flat out saying the quiet parts out loud. To be honest I'm more pleasantly surprised when it DOESN'T work.

• True 1

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That "platform" was always smoke and mirrors and only hid what they were really pushing. Fear of the Other. The only difference now is that they aren't hiding it anymore and are flat out saying the quiet parts out loud.

I don’t know that I agree with this, at least not at the national level. Reagan and the Bushes had actual policy platforms. Race panic, gay panic, etc., was always part of the thing and the degree to which it was said aloud vs. being a dog whistle changed with the times and the person. George W. Bush was dumb as a post but he had a policy platform. Trump and a lot of these chucklefucks just… don’t.

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t know that I agree with this, at least not at the national level. Reagan and the Bushes had actual policy platforms. Race panic, gay panic, etc., was always part of the thing and the degree to which it was said aloud vs. being a dog whistle changed with the times and the person. George W. Bush was dumb as a post but he had a policy platform. Trump and a lot of these chucklefucks just… don’t.

The term "Welfare Queens" was popularized by Ronald Reagan

SKRBM4SD55HHPGOHPEGWA2TMYI&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Throughout his political career, Ronald Reagan invoked the “woman in Chicago” who abused welfare. But Linda Taylor may have committed far more serious crimes.

Bush rode the whole Willie Horton right into The White House

04dc-horton-facebookJumbo.jpg?year=2018&
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Mr. Bush expressed no regret for the Horton ad, and some of his longtime allies have long argued that he got a bad rap for something that was not really of his making.

Reagan and Bush BOTH played with racial politics and the fear of the other on the national level by stoking White surburban fears of minorites taking their money and their lives. At the base of their "low tax, small government" approach was an appeal to White suburbanites who didn't want their taxm money going to unwed ghetto mothers who then spent the money on clothes and cadillacs and white southerners who didn't want the big bad Federal goverment telling them how they could and couldn't oppress minorities. It's really that simple when you look at it. Outside of that, there was the Neo-con's worldview of American might making right which has its own racial and cultural undertones.

All Trump did was dispense with the pretense and said everything out loud. "Who gives a shit about that policy garbage? WHITE PEOPLE ARE ABOUT TO BE REPLACED." That's the message of the current Republican party... which is really no different than the old Republican Party.

37 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Maybe Murphy should have done actual ads about his policies instead of having a bunch of people sit at his desk and saying that if they were governor they'd meet Bruce Springsteen.
Maybe.

Only ads I have seen are Murphy hates elderly and love taxes and Jack is a Trumper and hates affordable drugs. I don’t think most people know any of their policies. It is no longer needed to get elected unfortunately 

• True 1