Stellar Blade (Korean Bayonetta/NieR:Automata | PS5) - update (05/20): PC version and sequel being considered

Commissar SFLUFAN

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But beyond that, the main character is very pretty with a big but and skin tight outfits and a "nude" outfit as well. :p

As for me @Mr.Vic20 and I have been playing so much of TFD that we are desensitized and no longer see the ass and we now just see the 1s and 0s. We have asscended!

Oh for sure! But that's not exactly new to the gaming industry, yet Stellar Blade became the chosen one all the same :p 

7 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I thought it reviewed pretty well? Regardless it's easily of the better releases this year

It has an average of 82. That's not too bad but where I am at it's a 9. 

But I haven't finished it yet. I'm about to play now actually. 

16 minutes ago, Best said:

It has an average of 82. That's not too bad but where I am at it's a 9. 

But I haven't finished it yet. I'm about to play now actually. 

FWIW, average review scores in aggregate skew down and don't really capture the most common rating something would get. (E.g., 9 could be the most common rating, but the average would still be lower). I often find a more useful metric to be the open critic percentile because it's a bit more interpretable than an average review score and immediately accounts for the different ranges different reviewers use. 

For that, Stellar Blade is sitting at the 86th percentile, which is quite good. 

As another example of why this percentile is more useful, consider that Astro Bot's average score is 95, but that places it in the 100th percentile!

If you want to find that on open critic go to the game, all it's reviews, and then click on "View Review Charts."

• Thanks 2
  • Halal 1

15 minutes ago, legend said:

Were you having trouble understanding what you should do or having trouble executing it?

I didn't understand what to do. So I just used YouTube. I'm way passed that now. I'm still really loving this game. There is such a good pace with everything staying interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Best said:

I didn't understand what to do. So I just used YouTube. I'm way passed that now. I'm still really loving this game. There is such a good pace with everything staying interesting. 

For puzzles like this, even for games other than Stellar Blade, they're all about knowing the correct sequence and following it. In this case, they show you the sequence up front. So if you run into something like this again (whether it be in this game or otherwise) just look for how the sequence might be indicated.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, legend said:

For puzzles like this, even for games other than Stellar Blade, they're all about knowing the correct sequence and following it. In this case, they show you the sequence up front. So if you run into something like this again (whether it be in this game or otherwise) just look for how the sequence might be indicated.

Interesting. I was looking for a pattern on the walls etc completely lost lol. Even the drone gun you get is fun to use in combat. This game has really taken ne by surprise. 

1 minute ago, Best said:

Interesting. I was looking for a pattern on the walls etc completely lost lol. Even the drone gun you get is fun to use in combat. This game has really taken ne by surprise. 

Sometimes you can brute force things. There are some puzzles in games where I literally just cycled through a few combination to find the right thing because the combination space isn't big. Going back a watching a video of this area, it looks like they guide you into that because you *have* to walk on the correct sequence to start. So pay attention to what works. In this case that's what they were trying to get you to do :) 

• Thanks 1

I think on the easy difficulty this game has the absolute ideal challenge for me. It usually takes me two tries to beat a boss and it's never frustrating. It's just a really well made game when it comes to combat. 

The story and characters in this are B level quality but I really enjoy my time with this game. 

9 minutes ago, Best said:

@legend I just got to a section where I'm headed to space and I got a message that if I go I can't do any side quests etc.

Am I near the end? If so,  this is extremely short lol. 

I think that's getting pretty close. There are a ton of side quests in the game though and I did them all before finishing.

If you don't do enough of them and have just been plowing through the story though, you can't get the true ending.

46 minutes ago, legend said:

I think that's getting pretty close. There are a ton of side quests in the game though and I did them all before finishing.

If you don't do enough of them and have just been plowing through the story though, you can't get the true ending.

Wtf. In a review I watched before playing this guy said to skip the side quests because they are awful and drag the game down...

So yea I guess I'm going to beat this tomorrow. Oh well. Great action game for sure. Might be my favorite combat system ever. 

• Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Best said:

Wtf. In a review I watched before playing this guy said to skip the side quests because they are awful and drag the game down...

So yea I guess I'm going to beat this tomorrow. Oh well. Great action game for sure. Might be my favorite combat system ever. 

Well, they were fucking wrong :p 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Best said:

@legend I just beat Belial three times in one life. That was really challenging for me. That basically pushed me to my absolute limits. 

I'm not sure how it is on easy, but the hardest boss (at least on normal) is yet to come :p It's the penultimate boss. The final boss is hard too, but the penultimate one really made me work.

After I beat them I went on youtube and watched someone effortlessly take them down with no hits, perfect parry and dodging everything and felt like a tool :p 

• Sad 1

Just now, legend said:

I'm not sure how it is on easy, but the hardest boss (at least on normal) is yet to come :p It's the penultimate boss. The final boss is hard too, but the penultimate one really made me work.

I  saw in a few reviews that the bosses at the end are too overpowered. I hope I can hang on! 

Just now, Best said:

I  saw in a few reviews that the bosses at the end are too overpowered. I hope I can hang on! 

If you have a hard time, my tip is to equip stuff to build up whatever your special meter thing is (I can't remember the names now) and spam the shit out of it every chance you get. In particular, the forward stabby move.

1 hour ago, legend said:

If you have a hard time, my tip is to equip stuff to build up whatever your special meter thing is (I can't remember the names now) and spam the shit out of it every chance you get. In particular, the forward stabby move.

Will do. I just hit a boss now that is kicking my ass. I had his health down almost all the way. I have to stay focused. 

I honestly have to question my skills. I mean I'm on story mode difficulty and this boss is absolutely destroying me!

I'm utilizing my resources and I just can't beat it. 

I don't understand how anyone can find this fun? No game should punish you for wanting to see the end of the story. 

Either that or I'm single handily the worst gamer known to man. 

2 minutes ago, Best said:

I honestly have to question my skills. I mean I'm on story mode difficulty and this boss is absolutely destroying me!

I'm utilizing my resources and I just can't beat it. 

I don't understand how anyone can find this fun? No game should punish you for wanting to see the end of the story. 

Either that or I'm single handily the worst gamer known to man. 

if you’re having trouble it probably means you’re not learning the patterns. It’s very easy in action games to go kinda mindless in attacking and get greedy in trying to get some hits in. 

Instead, every time you take damage ask yourself what you should have done in that moment before, and what were the tells that the enemy was going to do that attack before they did. 

In your next attempt, try focusing on just one of the things you did wrong before and making sure you do the right response this time. Don’t go in with the expectation of winning that fight but just doing one thing better. 

Some games have some bullshit reasons for taking damage like random unblockable moves, terrible camera angles, etc. This is not one of them though. You can in fact reliably play each boss perfectly if you learn what’s happening. 

The fun is the satisfaction in going from zero to hero and to make the enemy who foiled you so many times before pay. 

5 minutes ago, Best said:

I finally beat him. But if it gets even more difficult than that I won't stand a chance. 

Time to take a break from this and play Astrobot. 

Of course you’ll stand a chance. Don’t assume you have a ceiling just because it’s hard at first. I’m not a super gamer with crazy reflexes. I die a lot in these games. It’s all learnable. Sometimes the value of these games is that they show you you’re not set in stone and can overcome things that at first seem impossible. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, legend said:

Of course you’ll stand a chance. Don’t assume you have a ceiling just because it’s hard at first. I’m not a super gamer with crazy reflexes. I die a lot in these games. It’s all learnable. Sometimes the value of these games is that they show you you’re not set in stone and can overcome things that at first seem impossible. 

Well I'll be honest I truthfully didn't think I could beat the last boss. It took me over an hour and a half to beat him so what you're saying is true. 

It felt really great beating him. But for now I'm taking a gaming break. It was so relaxing playing Astrobot after that. 

• Hype 1

28 minutes ago, Best said:

Well I'll be honest I truthfully didn't think I could beat the last boss. It took me over an hour and a half to beat him so what you're saying is true. 

It felt really great beating him. But for now I'm taking a gaming break. It was so relaxing playing Astrobot after that. 

Nothing wrong with a break!