Marvel's Midnight Suns ("its a fucking card battle game basically lol" - Firewithin) - Information Thread, update: "Blood Storm" DLC to release on May 11, Switch version cancelled

Commissar SFLUFAN

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I played through the tutorial. Lot of potential fun to be had here. If only the Graphics didn't look like low budget Fortnite.

It really does look bad. I bought it yesterday, haven’t played very much yet, what I did play was interesting, so we’ll see. 

VNXe2UhjpvPiXApRVP8pET-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

How to raise friendship, and what to do with your pals.

For all its tactical chops, Marvel's Midnight Suns is just as much a game about hanging out with heroes. More Fire Emblem than XCOM, much of your time will be spent in the Abbey—the home of the Midnight Suns, where the game's heroes unwind between fights. Each character has their own friendship level with The Hunter, and various interactions can raise—or lower—that relationship.

Why build friendships? Aside from the obvious reason—it's nice to do—you'll also gain the transactional benefit of better passive abilities, upgraded combo cards, increased stats, and new hero cards. Raising friendships also contributes to the global team friendship level, unlocking yet more bonuses.

Throughout the game's story you'll have conversations that can provide a small increase in friendship XP—at least if the hero agrees with what you say. Magik sure does hate when you choose the light-side options instead of the dark ones. But to maximise your friendship gains, you'll want to actively seek out companionship with your new pals. Here are a handful of things you can do to quickly raise your friendship level.

Listen I had to finish Weird West before starting Midnight Suns. WW is one of those games that if you put down, you never finish. 

I started this up today.  Some early thoughts:

-Character creator screen is pretty limited. Since this character is essential to the story, it is pretty disappointing. I rather have a character designed than my random generic dude. Add that the main dude starts with two swords, it feels like “nerd living his dream of hitting on Marvel characters” type design. 

-the opening is slow which most reviews say. Hard to comment on the gameplay. So far it’s very straightforward. The areas are pretty small. The cards are basic so far. I expect this to get more complex but not too much. This is clearly aimed not at XCOM fans but the mainstream Marvel fans. It will be extremely accessible. 

-the Abbey looks cool and I am excited to dig into the social aspect of the game. I don’t know much about the characters since I am not a comic fan. Like any Marvel game that creates their own version of the big boys, it takes a while to adjust. 

-performance and graphics are ok. Some hitches here and there. If you played a Firaxis game, you know what to expect 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

The core combat part of the game interests me...but it seems like everything else is pretty dumb, and takes up way more time than the actual gameplay.

If you don’t like Persona or Fire Emblem Three Houses, then the social aspect of the game will not appeal to you.  I enjoy getting to know the team and figuring out my ride and die team. Social aspects can really elevate a series if done well like in Mass Effect. 

The missions so far have been very short similar to XCOM: Chimera Squad. It’s clearly trying to take that strategy formula and make it more appealing to the broad audience. The latest mission allowed me to bring Captain Marvel. She wrecks shit up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought this was a pretty interesting article about the Player Character:

WDnPrZ3hPZsqYvKZYQ7D4H-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Firaxis imbued its fish-out-of-water hero with unexpected personality.

Dissociative amnesia is a condition linked to stress in which you can forget information about yourself, events from your life, and even learned skills. In reality, it's mercifully rare—the US hospital network Cleveland Clinic(opens in new tab) says around 1% of men and 2.6% of women in the general population are affected. But among videogame protagonists, prevalence is much higher, and the loss of memory is usually extensive. 

Geralt spent two games getting around to remembering who the love of his life was—making use of the intervening time to explore a romantic relationship with one of her best mates instead. Knights of the Old Republic's entire plot hinged on a total lack of knowledge of who you were and where you came from, teeing you up for a famously gnarly twist. And this year, the parkour FPS Neon White(opens in new tab) used the forgetfulness of its titular anime killer to create a sense of unease around companion characters who may or may not have been manipulating you. To paraphrase Guy Pearce: Don't believe their lies.

From a game developer's point of view, the practical benefits of the condition are clear. Amnesia explains how a character might start from the bottom and quickly climb a skill tree, achieving mastery of acrobatic and magical abilities that were completely alien to them just a couple of weeks earlier. By and large, relearning is easier than learning.

Then there's the roleplaying bonus. Amnesia helps reduce the knowledge gap between the protagonist and player—the dissonance that comes from hopping straight into the body of a person with preexisting relationships and hitting their lifelong friends with questions like, "Who are you again?" If that character has amnesia, there's suddenly an in-universe reason to hold orientation meetings. And later in the story, as you explore the game world and revelations start dropping, you and your avatar can respond in shocked unison.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Midnight Suns ("its a fucking card battle game basically lol" - Firewithin) - Information Thread, update: "Marvel's Midnight Suns has the best amnesiac protagonist since KotOR" (PC Gamer)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Midnight Suns ("its a fucking card battle game basically lol" - Firewithin) - Information Thread, update: "The Good, The Bad, and The Undead" Deadpool DLC trailer (January 26 release)
  • 3 weeks later...

Not surprising it didn’t sell well. I don’t think the game was shown properly before release.  It’s a fun game. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Midnight Suns ("its a fucking card battle game basically lol" - Firewithin) - Information Thread, update: "Redemption" Venom DLC trailer (February 23 release), free-to-play on Steam until February 19
9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

45932057-FB24-418-A-9-F7-F-DF868-A75754-

PC people, please give this a shot. Game is so underrated it’s ridiculous. If it wasn’t for God of War Ragnarok and Elden Ring it may have been my GotY. No, really, it’s that good.

@stepee @Mr.Vic20 @Zaku3 @AbsolutSurgen @Paperclyp  @Xbob42 @Keyser_Soze @othersI’mforgetting

it’s just…soooo unappealing gameplay wise to me, just a mix of things I don’t want to do 

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You don't like XCom?

I tried the new one and hated it, I never played that type of game and generally really dislike all strategy turn or real time. Only one I like is a little like Xcom, Mario vs Rabbids, but Mario is doing heavy lifting there for me.

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

I tried the new one and hated it, I never played that type of game and generally really dislike all strategy turn or real time. Only one I like is a little like Xcom, Mario vs Rabbids, but Mario is doing heavy lifting there for me.

I dunno, this is somehow deeper and more simplified (it's more of a battle-area than a big map to have to slowly move through), plus, it's marvel characters. Give it a shot since it's free. There's two or three battles in the first 5 minutes so you'll have an idea right there.