Update: Ubisoft CEO says that "Assassin's Creed Infinity" (in-development live-service title) will NOT be free-to-play

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Future of Assassin's Creed is Live Service, update: UbiSoft kinda/sorta confirms

AC has some things that could make it into a decent live service game. They have precedent for a progression in both skills and gear, though if they're going to have multiple locations and possibly time periods, they'll have to find some way to make the progression carry over between them. They have precedent for multiplayer, and I'm sure people would shell out for AC cosmetics.

I'm actually pretty excited by the idea of playing a huge assassination mission in co-op.

Of course, the kind of AC mission that I'd like to play co-op is maybe not the kind that we'd see more of. It's easy to imagine most of the game being focused on combat, which would turn AC Infinite into more of a live service brawler than an AC game. If they do make more stealth focused missions, it would probably be the kind of thing I'd only want to play with known quantities, since it would be so easy to troll people.

I've also been pretty worn down on the AC formula. I never finished Valhalla, mostly out of boredom. I won't write of a live service AC game immediately, but there are a whole lot of ways for it to go wrong or at least kill my personal interest.

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Blah. So no more standard AC games?

Pretty much no. It sucks because I love the series and seeing what they could have done with the new consoles would have been stunning.

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

We already have an example in Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

You mean Ghost Recon Breakpoint? Wildlands was built as a standalone game, it wasn't until the unexpected success of it that they decided to try and make it into a live service, but the game wasn't built for it..... so we got Breakpoint. 

2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

You mean Ghost Recon Breakpoint? Wildlands was built as a standalone game, it wasn't until the unexpected success of it that they decided to try and make it into a live service, but the game wasn't built for it..... so we got Breakpoint. 

Oh right - that's what I meant!

Optimistic approach: Maybe they have a huge hub world that people can spend hundreds of hours dicking around in and then the story packs or whatever will be just like regular games but like 20 hours instead of 500 hundred hours. If that’s how they reduce scale for the story content then so be it.

13 hours ago, Dre801 said:

So this is how we may finally get rid of those Layla segments. . 

The Layla sections have been < 45 minutes within the last > 300 hours of gameplay :p

And they’re clearly never going to get rid of the modern world stuff.

• 3 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Ubisoft CEO says that "Assassin's Creed Infinity" (in-development live-service title) will NOT be free-to-play