Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water [10/28/2021]

Keyser_Soze

17 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

A Steam version?! Have we had any games in the series on Steam? I love me some Fatal Frame, even if I've yet to like any as much as the second.

We have not and I believe like the 3rd one was Wii exclusive or something.

17 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Hope they don't Koei Tecmo up the port.

After Ninja Gaiden there can only be an improvement.... right? ... :s

On 6/16/2021 at 2:18 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

We have not and I believe like the 3rd one was Wii exclusive or something.

The 4th game was Wii exclusive. And only in Japan.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:10 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm stoked this isn't exclusive to Switch. Any opportunity to avoid the Nintendo tax is greatly appreciated.

Anytime someone complains about a “Switch tax” but is cool with PS5 and XBSX games being $70 gets me every time.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you have game pass you're not paying $70 for a game :cool:

If you have Game Pass you're paying for something else. And that's only Xbox (and PC?) what about the poor souls in the Playstation camp? Wait and hope it eventually gets added to PS+? 

....which is actually a valid choice. 

15 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Anytime someone complains about a “Switch tax” but is cool with PS5 and XBSX games being $70 gets me every time.

Never said I was cool with $70 either. But those games on the other platforms go on sale regularly. Unless it's an indie, Nintendo don't discount for shit.

1 minute ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Never said I was cool with $70 either. But those games on the other platforms go on sale regularly. Unless it's an indie, Nintendo don't discount for shit.

There is literally a sale on Nintendo games on the eShop RIGHT NOW. 

And technically, any game can be discounted by using your "my.nintendo" Gold Coins. 

Why do I need to keep reminding people of this?

1 minute ago, GameDadGrant said:

There is literally a sale on Nintendo games on the eShop RIGHT NOW. 

And technically, any game can be discounted by using your "my.nintendo" Gold Coins. 

Why do I need to keep reminding people of this?

Ok. I'll take a look at the eShop store right now to see if I find anything worth grabbing. I don't shop at Nintendo enough for those gold coins to really be useful for anything, though. 

• stepee 1

32 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Ok. I'll take a look at the eShop store right now to see if I find anything worth grabbing. I don't shop at Nintendo enough for those gold coins to really be useful for anything, though. 

Breath of the Wild is part of this huge sale and is $41.99!

But I find it interesting that @GameDadGrant would pimp the eshop as he dismissed game pass saying he likes physical games. :thinking:

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But I find it interesting that @GameDadGrant would pimp the eshop as he dismissed game pass saying he likes physical games. :thinking:

I did take a look at the eShop sale, and it's still the same shit. Hundreds of third party and indie games on "decent" sales, but Nintendo's own shit still hits that concrete floor of $40. I'm sorry, I'm not paying forty bucks for Octopath Traveler, or Xenoblade Chronicles, or Breath of the Wild. One of those games released on the Wii for fuck's sake, one on the Wii U, and the other is on Game Pass.

I did grab Grandia Collection for about twenty bucks, so that was nice, but everything else on there is either available for other consoles or those tiny little indie games that I have no interest in.

Nintendo still slapping their dick on the their fans faces and calling it chorizo.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I do, but I know others don’t mind digital downloads. Plus it was a sale, so I mentioned it. :) 

9 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Nintendo still slapping their dick on the their fans faces and calling it chorizo.

I think this is the funniest thing I’ve read here lately. You just won the thread. Well played! 

• 1 month later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water [10/28/2021]
  • 1 month later...

We would like to inform you that the following problem is currently occurring.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and ask you to please wait as we work on resolving the problem.
We will notify you of the update schedule as soon as it is finalized.

1: The game may be out of sync when using a high-spec monitor.

When playing on a 144Hz monitor, it has been confirmed that the game speeds up the video, audio, and subtitles during events become out of sync.

If you are experiencing this issue, as a temporary solution, please try to limit the FPS to 60 using the software function of your graphics board, or change the "Refresh Rate" in the "Advanced Display Settings" of your PC.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

I played ( @best3444 ) for a little over an hour. Game certainly won't win any graphics awards (textures are eh but character models look pretty good) but it looks nice enough at 4k. The only other fatal frame I've played is the first one and the game mechanics have certainly evolved over the years.

Hopefully this game will be successful enough for Tecmo to maybe take their PC ports a bit more seriously in the future.

• Shocked 1

I remember FF1 and 2 being pretty spooky... when did the series turn into spank material? Almost every character is a nubile young schoolgirl wearing lingerie and even the fucking female ghosts have titty physics on their rotting melons. There's a photo mode where you can place whatever you want wherever you want and changing the character's pose also activates titty bouncing. Who the fuck plays these games to get turned on by robotic looking PS2-era quality school girls?

Also when did it become so hand-holdy? The first thing you do is go through the lamest forced tutorial (i.e. everything will freeze until you do exactly as we say) as these big-tittied ghost women chase you around a small building.

I'm hoping this is all just intro stuff, but Jesus this is some embarrassing shit. Make your game as sexy as you want, but if you're making a horror game, focus on the fucking horror first! Nothing has been even remotely spooky so far, aside from the fact that the game ran at like 600 FPS and I needed to cap it with RTSS.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If only the boobs could jiggle in still photographs!

Japan will get us there. This kind of technology is their singularity.

Anyway, in an actual miracle I've never seen from Koei Tecmo, they issued a patch just now that fixes the high FPS issue, and the game no longer ties any logic to FPS! And it doesn't break anything!

They usually just shit out an awful port then leave it to die, and if they do patch something, it's usually to fuck it up even worse. This is a huge step forward for them.

Now if they'd just add a film grain option (film grain never looks good in games and if you add it you can suck my ass), add mouse controls for those that want to use KB+M (currently you use WASD and some random combo of other keys for camera movement), and gyro support for controllers that support it (like on PS4/PS5, where this same game already supports gyro controls) then we'd be golden. Honestly, the rest are easily fixed, the FPS one was my biggest concern and they fucking nailed the fix faster than I would expect even from a company I actually respect.

Honestly though, any game where you aim should have gyro support on controller. It's so much better than using fiddly little sticks. I know we got a lot of ol' farts around here who are too crusty to adapt, but honestly it just makes playing a non-competitive shooter with a controller so much more fun. (And it makes competitive shooters on consoles enjoyable for me!)

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Anyway, in an actual miracle I've never seen from Koei Tecmo, they issued a patch just now that fixes the high FPS issue, and the game no longer ties any logic to FPS! And it doesn't break anything!

It was tied to the refresh rate of the monitor as stated above. The miracle is they issued the patch so quickly!

And yeah no mouse support is odd.