The Official E3 2021 MEGA thread! June 12th-15th

Remarkableriots

So my take is that while its true that the Pandemic hasn't done productivity any favors, I suspect Sony has more to do with all of these 3rd party presentation flops. I imagine they are keeping their respective powders dry until the next state of play. 

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I wasn't able to watch the Xbox showcase until now. Disappointed that there is still no Elder Scrolls VI anything. They teased that what? Two, three years ago now? Sigh. Halo Infinite looks great though. Very excited for that.

Given that Starfield won't land until next November, I wouldn't anticipate seeing anything on ES VI until E3 (or some equivalent) 2023.  

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I wasn't able to watch the Xbox showcase until now. Disappointed that there is still no Elder Scrolls VI anything. They teased that what? Two, three years ago now? Sigh. Halo Infinite looks great though. Very excited for that.

You're not the first person I've seen say that, and I honestly don't know why this keeps coming up. Todd Howard specifically said the announcement was so that people would stop asking him about it, and that they've barely even begun the writing phase. There's no way we're seeing anything about ESVI remotely soon and with Starfield being a holiday 2022 release, I can see ES being a 2025 release, if we're lucky.

On 6/13/2021 at 7:01 PM, Bacon said:

TAKE ME BACK

Oh boy, if we only knew exactly what Iwata meant when he said they were working on their next gen system "Revolution" and "specs don't matter."  No one would have guessed the Wii would barely be an upgrade from the Gamecube.

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

It's silly and I really don't need one, but I want an Xbox mini fridge.

I imagine a lot of parents are either going to troll their kids for Xmas, or get trolled by thinking it's a real system.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Oh boy, if we only knew exactly what Iwata meant when he said they were working on their next gen system "Revolution" and "specs don't matter."  No one would have guessed the Wii would barely be an upgrade from the Gamecube.

Have to wonder what the Wii would have been like, and how the "hardcore gamers" would have reacted had the Wii been more powerful to justify a launch price equal to the 360, so $400, or maybe even $350. Maybe even a bit better motion controls too. I liked the Wii, it had so many great games, and of course part of its huge success was its lower price at $250, but had it actually had more powerful graphics, even if not exactly on par with the 360, but close enough, would gamers had embraces motion controls a bit more? Pointless waggle is bland of course, but aiming for shooters is fantastic! So much better than dual analog, and it's not like you need to keep your arm outstretched pointed at the TV the whole time; you can just rest it in your lap and use subtle wrist movements. However, since Nintendo went with weaker graphics, the gamers decided the Wii looked bad, and the games weren't good. 

15 minutes ago, Brick said:

Have to wonder what the Wii would have been like, and how the "hardcore gamers" would have reacted had the Wii been more powerful to justify a launch price equal to the 360, so $400, or maybe even $350. Maybe even a bit better motion controls too. I liked the Wii, it had so many great games, and of course part of its huge success was its lower price at $250, but had it actually had more powerful graphics, even if not exactly on par with the 360, but close enough, would gamers had embraces motion controls a bit more? Pointless waggle is bland of course, but aiming for shooters is fantastic! So much better than dual analog, and it's not like you need to keep your arm outstretched pointed at the TV the whole time; you can just rest it in your lap and use subtle wrist movements. However, since Nintendo went with weaker graphics, the gamers decided the Wii looked bad, and the games weren't good. 

The low price was definitely attractive, much like the $200 Gamecube before it.  I was satisfied with the Wii, but I did start getting more into PC gaming at the same time too, so I didn't miss out on the 360/PS3 experience.  Looking back at that generation, I think Nintendo's games now benefit more from a resolution bump than other games that tried to look "realistic" at the time.  Running Mario Galaxy or Skyward Sword at a higher resolution is a bigger game changer than some remasters.  An upscaled Wind Waker or Twilight Princess GCN file still looks great compared to their HD WiiU versions, which basically just added bloom lighting everywhere and sometimes over-did it.  So their art design could have certainly benefited from a more powerful GPU that could output 720p, at the least.  Meanwhile, the other games at the time shooting for "realism" will have a lot of janky graphics like now-obvious low polygon models and low res textures.

Whelp, I played the Stranger of Paradise demo and its good! The game is basically FF Nioh, to the surprise of no one. The play mechanics are solid, the music is good, and everyone's favorite normcore edge lord immediately starts gaining items that change his look from Chad Dexter to something more befitting his FF world.   

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Whelp, I played the Stranger of Paradise demo and its good! The game is basically FF Nioh, to the surprise of no one. The play mechanics are solid, the music is good, and everyone's favorite normcore edge lord immediately starts gaining items that change his look from Chad Dexter to something more befitting his FF world.   

This is wild because I was just about to post that people need to try this demo because lol what is this! The vibe is something else, and it’s so weirdly ugly! The resolution and AA even in fidelity is just horrible and I’m getting obvious frame rate dips in fidelity too. I’m definitely interested now.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is wild because I was just about to post that people need to try this demo because lol what is this! The vibe is something else, and it’s so weirdly ugly! The resolution and AA even in fidelity is just horrible and I’m getting obvious frame rate dips in fidelity too. I’m definitely interested now.

How much Chaos do you kill in the demo?

On 6/15/2021 at 8:59 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

I just beat Garland. I had fun. I played on Normal, it was challenging but not too punishing. The save crystals make dying bearable.

I think its obviously a long ways off, and needs some refinement, but its better than it looked in the presentation.