Bill and Melinda Gates to divorce after 27 years of marriage.

15 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Let's say you do become disgustingly wealthy. Do you think you could channel that energy into things like building charities or like building fresh water systems for people in india or something where profitability is not the objective?

It’s what I would love to do. My hopeful future is just building free housing for the rest of my days

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I actually don’t believe it is pure greed. It can be greed, and probably often is, but a big part of it is the innate desire in humans to create things. For some, creativity is an artistic endeavor, for others it may manifest in parenting, and others it is in business. I have always wished I were artistic, but I’m just not. At all. But I enjoy the creative process of envisioning something in business and building the structure that supports it. I actually find running businesses tedious, but creating them is fuuuuuun and exciting. I don’t think being disgusting wealthy robs a person of all human instinct.

The hyper wealthy are (I assume, I have done no research to back this up) in a weird area where their interests and knowledge tend to be very niche, and their lifestyle is just constantly reinforcing the uniqueness of their circumstances in ways that make it difficult to see outside of their immediate circumstances.

This happens to a lesser extent in hyper focused communities where extreme wealth isn’t involved; I listen to TWiT and even though a lot of their panelists are incredibly well informed, it’s clear their interests don’t align with “mainstream” people adjacent to tech. Stuff like the initial obsession with the notch on the iPhone X or the current hand wringing about the bezel on the iMac, shit close to 0% of people who will buy those products will care about at all. Or we see it here when people interested enough in TV and movies to talk about them online are having conversations that the overwhelming majority of people who watch the same stuff will never bother to think about, let alone have.

And I imagine that getting focused through the lens of being a multimillionaire, let alone a multibillionaire… I assume Bezos isn’t actively Scrooge McDucking when he builds the world’s largest yacht or obsesses about how to literally leave the world behind… it’s just that the affairs of the normals aren’t interesting to him. So yeah, it’s greed, but he’s greedy the way I’m racist… i just don’t have to think about it when I’m not made to. Do I think anyone has Bezos’ ear to say, “just give your employees healthcare, you fuck, you won’t even notice the pennies that are missing”? No probably not. And even if they did, is at as interesting to him as that boat or his spaceships? No, so I fuck it. It’s the same with people I know who, once they make >$X per year dabble with something like Postmates or Amazon Fresh and then it’s been 6 months, they haven’t entered a grocery story, and cannot imagine how they ever had the time… just on a bananas scale.

That’s not to say he shouldn’t be in shackles and taxed damn near to death, he absolutely should. :p But if he bothered to think about it at all, I’m sure he mclumber’d his way through the logic… think about all the jobs he created making that stupid ass boat, or his dumbass rockets!

10 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Hey, wait a sec. That comment came because he was responding to @Remarkableriots who said "Bill Gates is another egomaniac imo." Guess Reich could be Remarkable. :thinking: 

Here's one response to remarkable's comment:

I'll be honest: I thought Bill Gates was a good dude. So I'm in no position to call anyone out. :p 

Here's someone who agreed:

Well done, dude. I bow before y'all's judgment.

With the information I had at the time, I would hold the same opinion.  With the new current information, I am humbly corrected and wrong.  

• 2 months later...