The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

Storm has passed, yard is full of tree and plant debris, but otherwise we are in good shape. A tree fell on the power lines a few houses down, so I’m guessing we will be without power for a day or so.

Out neighbor across the street flooded, so we are waiting for the water to recede enough to start cleaning up their mess. 

• Halal 2
  • Hugs 4

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Storm has passed, yard is full of tree and plant debris, but otherwise we are in good shape. A tree fell on the power lines a few houses down, so I’m guessing we will be without power for a day or so.

Out neighbor across the street flooded, so we are waiting for the water to recede enough to start cleaning up their mess. 

Do you have any battery backup? I'm guessing you can charge phones with your car if needed.

I'm really concerned about that 5% battery you see

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

Do you have any battery backup? I'm guessing you can charge phones with your car if needed.

I'm really concerned about that 5% battery you see

I have a generator, I’m charged up again!

My wife decided she isn’t going to live with no electricity during tropical system outages, so I hollered at my friend who runs an electrical contracting firm and got on his list to install one of these

WWW.GENERAC.COM

Guardian 26kW with Whole House Switch WiFi-Enabled

We have a small generator to run the well pump, and fridge/freezer, but Houston summer (and humidity) with no AC is the worst.

This new one will power the whole house, and can run for around 2 weeks on our propane tank when full, so plenty of coverage for a worst case sort of disaster.

Long term, I still want to build a solar array with gigantic battery storage, but to do it how I want will require buying the neighbors property. Hopefully they want to sell in the next 5ish years!

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

This bitch is tracking straight into Michigan. Supposed to start raining around 9:00 and will continue for 24 hours straight. Some areas could be looking at 4”+ of rainfall in that span. Flood warnings all over the place.

Can’t remember where I read this, but hurricane remnants occasionally collide with warm, moist air over the Great Lakes region which can in some cases actually intensify rainfall before the whole thing finally breaks up.

• Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

This bitch is tracking straight into Michigan. Supposed to start raining around 9:00 and will continue for 24 hours straight. Some areas could be looking at 4”+ of rainfall in that span. Flood warnings all over the place.

Can’t remember where I read this, but hurricane remnants occasionally collide with warm, moist air over the Great Lakes region which can in some cases actually intensify rainfall before the whole thing finally breaks up.

I’m just 50km from Toronto, but I too am in a rainfall warning with it starting around midnight tonight. Could get possibly 4 inches more or less, but hoping for much less. Outside garden will hopefully survive whatever comes our way. Mom and sister have tons of tomato, cucumber, potato, and various hot pepper plants out there (some over 7 feet tall) my girls aren’t any taller then 3 feet, but lots of branches I hope don’t get damaged. 

I looked at the map tool from CenterPoint showing the outages and the restoration progress. LMAO, my street in the one in the bottom right that has no color coding at all.

Gonna be a while before power is restored if we don’t even exist in the system 😂 

IMG-0622

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I looked at the map tool from CenterPoint showing the outages and the restoration progress. LMAO, my street in the one in the bottom right that has no color coding at all.

Gonna be a while before power is restored if we don’t even exist in the system 😂 

IMG-0622

Does your theater have AC? Can you camp out there for a week?

25 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Does your theater have AC? Can you camp out there for a week?

We do have power at the indoor theater that is close to our house, but our small generator at the house is sufficient for a window AC so we’ve been fine all sleeping in the master bedroom with that.

I have honestly been more inconvenienced by the Comcast service being out. The cell towers are extra jammed because a lot of Comcast and ATT’s network infrastructure is also down due to power outages, so hotspotting is not particularly great at the moment.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I have honestly been more inconvenienced by the Comcast service being out. The cell towers are extra jammed because a lot of Comcast and ATT’s network infrastructure is also down due to power outages, so hotspotting is not particularly great at the moment.

Have you considered something like Starlink for backup? Elon is an idiot but I've generally heard good things from a few who got one for their cottages.

12 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Have you considered something like Starlink for backup? Elon is an idiot but I've generally heard good things from a few who got one for their cottages.

I actually have a starlink at my very rural drive in location where there is no wired internet access at all. It’s pretty impressive, not gonna lie. The team that built it and the app are top shelf. I actually might buy the mini unit eventually to have on hand in case of emergencies moving forward. Not like hurricanes are getting less common over time 😬

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record: this past Sunday was the hottest day ever recorded on Earth (as far as modern record keeping goes). That is, until the record was broken on Monday.

However, it was raining and kinda chilly where I live, so checkmate libs.

This will result in a significant slowdown of Debby's forward motion, and the model spread increases significantly in the 72-120 h time period. Regardless of Debby's exact forecast track during that time, the slow forward speed is likely to cause potentially historic rainfall across southeast Georgia and South Carolina, with an increasing likelihood of catastrophic flooding.

Rip to Charleston and Savannah