The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

22 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Our drive in 5 minutes from here got hit by 115mph straight line gusts and a short lived tornado, completely demolishing the place. My oldest son was actually on site at the time making a delivery when it went down, but he was able to take shelter in the utility tunnel under one of the nearby buildings. Quite a mess, but fortunate no people were harmed!

Another location of ours is without power since Thursday as the main transmission lines in the area were wiped out by a tornado as well.

• Shocked 2
  • Hugs 2

38 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Our drive in 5 minutes from here got hit by 115mph straight line gusts and a short lived tornado, completely demolishing the place. My oldest son was actually on site at the time making a delivery when it went down, but he was able to take shelter in the utility tunnel under one of the nearby buildings. Quite a mess, but fortunate no people were harmed!

Another location of ours is without power since Thursday as the main transmission lines in the area were wiped out by a tornado as well.

Sorry to hear but good to hear you're ok otherwise. I was wondering about you and that video. It seemed so extreme that it was hard to believe it was real.

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That video is so unreal! I’m glad your family is ok!

• 3 weeks later...
AMP.CNN.COM

The secretary general also called on all countries to ban fossil fuel advertising, as new data reveals how quickly the world is approaching a critical threshold

We are playing Russian roulette with our planet,” he said Wednesday. “We need an exit ramp off the highway to climate hell.”

Rock GIF

15 minutes after I left work yesterday, a tornado spun up out of nowhere, less than a mile north of my office in Livonia, MI a heavily populated suburb of Detroit. Killed a two year old kid. Pretty much unheard of in this area. The thinking has always been that the metro area’s urban heat island effect keeps tornadoes away, but apparently that’s not the case. Michigan in general is getting a lot more tornadoes than it used to, and they’re getting stronger.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

A follow-up to the previous post about the crazy tornado and one of our drive ins getting demolished: been going very hard at clean up and rebuild and we are set to reopen in about 10 days. A real pain to deal with but it also gave me an opportunity to fix some issues that had arisen due to other development in the area around it. 

• stepee 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 3

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

A lot of these old buildings were constructed around the idea of retaining heat when it's cold back when it didn't get particularly hot there, the problem is presumably that those buildings will get significantly hotter than 80 degrees. I know this happens in my 1970s era coastal California apartment. And like in my situation I'm sure they don't have air conditioning. 

I saw some Brits talking about how hot it was combined with the humidity, and I chuckled sitting in the second consecutive day of 97 degrees and 85% humidity in the afternoon yesterday. But I get the AC availability and such, just amusing seeing them shout about the humidity issue while I sit in the swamp.

• Halal 1

A few things people should consider:

• The human body can get used to higher or lower temperatures, but it takes up to 7 days. So if it jumps to a higher temp than you are used to quickly, you can suffer much worse than if you've already slowly escalated to that temperature over time
  • Most buildings don't have AC in these places
  • Most buildings are designed to retain heat in these places

11 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Of course the CANADIANS defending the mother country lmao

lol. To be fair, I don't mock any place for issues with temperature! My city deals with giant annual swings in temp, from -40C to +40C (-40F to 104F), so I know how hard temperature swings can be on pretty much all aspects of society. And when you're used to a regular swing and get an extreme, it can cause chaos. A good example in the opposite direction is when people were dying in Texas at low temperatures that would be considered a nice autumn in other places. Humans aren't good at preparing for and dealing with unusual weather.

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

lol. To be fair, I don't mock any place for issues with temperature! My city deals with giant annual swings in temp, from -40C to +40C (-40F to 104F), so I know how hard temperature swings can be on pretty much all aspects of society. And when you're used to a regular swing and get an extreme, it can cause chaos. A good example in the opposite direction is when people were dying in Texas at low temperatures that would be considered a nice autumn in other places. Humans aren't good at preparing for and dealing with unusual weather.

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

I did a summer in Montreal with no AC and I found that worse than being in So Cali when it’s hot. At least in Cali it cools off quickly in the evening, Mtl was just horribly humid all evening long. -.- (it’s an island so it gets really humid in the summer).

On 6/10/2024 at 12:31 PM, sblfilms said:

A follow-up to the previous post about the crazy tornado and one of our drive ins getting demolished: been going very hard at clean up and rebuild and we are set to reopen in about 10 days. A real pain to deal with but it also gave me an opportunity to fix some issues that had arisen due to other development in the area around it. 

Tell me you’re committing insurance fraud without saying you’re committing insurance fraud. :p

Glad to hear everyone’s okay!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

I did a summer in Montreal with no AC and I found that worse than being in So Cali when it’s hot. At least in Cali it cools off quickly in the evening, Mtl was just horribly humid all evening long. -.- (it’s an island so it gets really humid in the summer).

I have AC now but in my old place, it was cold shower before bed with a fan blowing directly on me every night in the summer.

4 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Is that the stench of broke, or the overwhelming musk of your sweat?

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

None of the places I lived in for 22yr in CA had AC. Two places in Boston didn't have AC.

Yeah unless your home is new you don't really have AC here because "the weather is perfect" and "it never rains"

As for me I lived in a shitty trailer for half my life. Pretty much a metal tube that is great at amplifying heat at the same time not very good at retaining heat. During the winter it would be about just as cold inside as it was outside, I could wake up in the morning and see my breath.

As for where I'm living now, still no AC but it doesn't get as hot as the trailer and it certainly doesn't dip as low in the winter.