Starfield - Information Thread, update (09/16): "Shattered Space" expansion deep-dive video

SaysWho?

8 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.IGN.COM

Starfield is a game designed to be replayed via its New Game Plus system, but 33 times seems a bit excessive. Not for one player, who in the process of replaying Bethesda’s sci-fi space...

must be something random then, because I’d heard of that well before anyone had done NG+33. I think I’d seen some say it happened on their NG+10. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I hate the looting system. You can’t see if it’s worth picking up until after you put it in your inventory. Then if it sucks you gotta drop it. Horrible. 

Unles they changed something I’ve always seen a value for things you can pick up whether it be weapons, armor, crafting items, or trash. If it doesn’t tell you it is worth anything or can be used in crafting it is probably just trash. 

20 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Unles they changed something I’ve always seen a value for things you can pick up whether it be weapons, armor, crafting items, or trash. If it doesn’t tell you it is worth anything or can be used in crafting it is probably just trash. 

Not talking about value as in money/selling. Like when you find a helmet/suit/booster pack I wanna see its stats and perks.

I bought this game. Played for about an hour. Went back to my other games. It just didn't grab me like Elder Scrolls games do. Can't even remember the inciting event. Something about finding a shiny rock in a cave or something. Certainly doesn't compare to "holy shit you can talk to dragons" or "OMG the king is knighting you as he flees from assassins" inciting events.

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I bought this game. Played for about an hour. Went back to my other games. It just didn't grab me like Elder Scrolls games do. Can't even remember the inciting event. Something about finding a shiny rock in a cave or something. Certainly doesn't compare to "holy shit you can talk to dragons" or "OMG the king is knighting you as he flees from assassins" inciting events.

I think Starfield is a solid game but it certainly lacks that magic The Elder Scrolls games have. It's still a very good game though so if you're ever in a drought I'd give it more time. 

• Halal 2

On 11/30/2023 at 11:50 AM, Biggie said:

Not talking about value as in money/selling. Like when you find a helmet/suit/booster pack I wanna see its stats and perks.

If you open the transfer screen, X on controller when looking at a container or body, you can see all the details and compare weapons etc. before picking them up.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Something is wrong. I unhooked everything last week and just hooked it back up today. Nothing is working except for RDR2...

Pretty sure you need to make sure it’s connecting to the internet okay - Also for Ultimate you can scale down the trick from the other thread and just get two 3 month gold cards from cdkeys for about $24 which should net you 4 months of Ultimate I believe 

Edit: But you need to wait until tomorrow to do it if it just ran out today

49 minutes ago, stepee said:

Pretty sure you need to make sure it’s connecting to the internet okay - Also for Ultimate you can scale down the trick from the other thread and just get two 3 month gold cards from cdkeys for about $24 which should net you 4 months of Ultimate I believe 

Edit: But you need to wait until tomorrow to do it if it just ran out today

I'm connected fine so I just turned the thing off. I'll come back to it when I can afford xbl so it's no big deal at all. I have plenty to play. 

• True 1

On 11/30/2023 at 12:10 PM, Biggie said:

I hate the looting system. You can’t see if it’s worth picking up until after you put it in your inventory. Then if it sucks you gotta drop it. Horrible. 

Ok so found something out that’s very helpful. While looting dead enemies, safes, boxes, crates, etc. if you hold down the X button (transfer) for a second it brings up a list of every item and its stats. So you can pick and choose what you do or do not want. Game changer for me when it comes to looting since there is so much to loot. 

• Halal 1

Oh, Bethesda :lol:

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Someone get me a new universe, this one' s full.

Stop me if you've heard this one before. The longer you play this Bethesda RPG, the more unstable it becomes. Am I talking about Oblivion's reference bug, or Skyrim's PS3 lag bug? (That's our brand director Tim Clark there holding Bethesda's feet to the fire on the latter.) Nope, I'm talking about Starfield, where players who have racked up hundreds of hours—not that uncommon in a Bethesda RPG—are experiencing more crashes the longer they play.

This was brought to our attention by a couple of modders: Dylan Thomas, who most notably maintains and develops Audio Overhaul for Skyrim, and wSkeever, who added Doctor Who's weeping angels to Skyrim, among many other delightful mods. It was wSkeever who brought this bug up on the Starfield Mods subreddit last month, noting that, "I've been investigating an issue experienced by me and several other people where long running saves without ng+ would experience more and more frequent crashes during play."

The cause is apparently the way Starfield generates dynamic form IDs. These are codes every unique object and location has, and which Starfield uses to keep track of their current state. Drop a medkit and Starfield remembers where you left it because of the dynamic form IDs. The more of them there are, the more bloated and unstable your save file gets. Normally they'd be recycled after a certain amount of time to prevent that—which is why you have to be careful where you store loot in Skyrim. Some containers remember what you put in them, while others will eventually put the form IDs of whatever is in them back into use.

This is a bit of a simplification of course, but it seems like Starfield isn't recycling form IDs the way it's supposed to. As SpareDifficult9987 put it in a post on the main Starfield subreddit, "What will inevitably happen, is that the ID generation will start to run out of numbers it can use for the ID's it needs to designate. This will cause your game to crash, and the more you play, the shorter the intervals will be between crashes, practically making your save file unplayable."

Currently, the only way to deal with this is to start New Game+, which resets every single form ID. Continue playing for long enough and you'll encounter the same problem, however, necessitating another New Game+ restart. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally ready to main this one! Wanted to get started before the end of the year as I have still been really looking forward to it but I wanted to get more smaller games out of the way first before year end as well.

But the time is now. I’m actually glad I did play the opening hours of this already so I’m right at New Atlantis as I get ready to deliver the artifact so I’ll be able to really dive right in tomorrow.

Loaded it up to see how it performs as that is the other reason I put this further down the list abs it’s running great now with dlss3 natively within options. Was getting a solid 116fps (120fps w dlss3 reflex cap) all over New Atlantis at 4k dlss quality, seems like it’s all running perfect now.

I love story based space games and we don’t get a lot of them, I’m hype!

• Hype 2

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Finally ready to main this one! Wanted to get started before the end of the year as I have still been really looking forward to it but I wanted to get more smaller games out of the way first before year end as well.

But the time is now. I’m actually glad I did play the opening hours of this already so I’m right at New Atlantis as I get ready to deliver the artifact so I’ll be able to really dive right in tomorrow.

Loaded it up to see how it performs as that is the other reason I put this further down the list abs it’s running great now with dlss3 natively within options. Was getting a solid 116fps (120fps w dlss3 reflex cap) all over New Atlantis at 4k dlss quality, seems like it’s all running perfect now.

I need to play some more of this but Ball Sacks Gate 3 has its hooks in me. 

@best3444 are you still playing Starfield?

EDIT: you’re dead to me

31 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I need to play some more of this but Ball Sacks Gate 3 has its hooks in me. 

@best3444 are you still playing Starfield?

EDIT: you’re dead to me

Persona 5 Royal will be the next rpg I main after this (I’m already playing bits and pieces of it at night) but I definitely want to get to BG3 sometime next year. Those two and ME Andromeda are the three I decided to prioritize from my backlog. Luckily the first half seems pretty light since I don’t get FF7R on pc!

On 12/13/2023 at 8:04 PM, Remarkableriots said:

"I can guess what it takes to make a Hostess Twinkie, but I don't work in the factory"

this is probably the dumbest rebuttal to criticism I’ve ever read. Even if I don’t work in the Twinkie factory, that doesn’t mean we can’t complain when they put out a new product that’s shit. 

11 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

this is probably the dumbest rebuttal to criticism I’ve ever read. Even if I don’t work in the Twinkie factory, that doesn’t mean we can’t complain when they put out a new product that’s shit. 

It’s pretty bad! My favorite was some defense on this on a certain other board I hate read and someone was like, paraphrasing, “You don’t see people picking apart music for using a simple chord progression or having bad lyric structure!” like whaaaattttttttt

8 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

you think Starfield is shit?

9 hours ago, stepee said:

I had to take some time off from the game due to that pesky real life shit, but went back to it now. It's one of the first games I've ever felt the need to look up "how tos" on just because it's so in-depth, but I was always into those games as a kid so it's sort've nostalgic for me, plus I do enjoy the idea of the entire universe being explorable. It reminds me a lot of Freelancer honestly. 

• stepee 1