Starfield - Information Thread, update (09/16): "Shattered Space" expansion deep-dive video

SaysWho?

i finished the main quest line finally around 140 hours into the game and have now been looping back in 

Spoiler

by walking into a different universe each time

fun to see the slightly different way the story goes each time you jump into a different universe

good game that could have been truly great with some modest improvements

7 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I'm on AMD, but the game seems to be a bit smoother for me. I like the game, but it certainly lacks the bite that their prior games have had on me in terms of addictive qualities. 

Try attempting to build a base. You will be walking around planets gathering resources, going to landmarks scanning shit, looking at the solar system for resources you need. That will get you hooked for a good while.

:sickos:

• stepee 1

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Try attempting to build a base. You will be walking around planets gathering resources, going to landmarks scanning shit, looking at the solar system for resources you need. That will get you hooked for a good while.

:sickos:

Does the house that you buy as a perk count as a base? I assume so. I should start to deck that out. 

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Does the house that you buy as a perk count as a base? I assume so. I should start to deck that out. 

I don't know. I didn't pick it as a perk. I think you need to put down the resource thing first to consider it as a base because the main purpose is to collect resources. Wherever your house is might not have the resources you want. Then you have to build a terminal so you can assign people to the base. You want people working in your house? Weirdo!

The biggest problem I have in terms of addiction is 

end game spoilers

how little you take with you into NG+. Ship building, base building, amassing vast amounts of materials or currency, clothing, modified weapons and suits, none of it carries over in any way. And while some of that makes sense, I would assume everything you have on your person could be taken into the next universe.

it’s been a bit demotivating. I want to go back and play more, but this had made getting pulled away by other games a bit easier. 

maybe I’ll boot it up over the long weekend. I’ll probably getting sucked back into it. But that’s always going to be on my mind. I’ll need to look into uninstalling the DLSS mod I have been using. 

Opinion: Future fantasy is harder than medieval fantasy. 

Examples: Witcher 3 -> Cyberpunk 2077, Skyrim -> Starfield

Reason: A medieval world is 60% Speed tree. A future setting is expected to be dense, fast paced, and layered. Much more of the environment is artificial and requires a lot of consideration to make it "believable". 

Exception: Mass Effect/Star Wars 

Reason: Magical story focused worlds that don't require much sense and have limited curated scenario sandboxes. 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

FFVII?

Sure, it falls into that magical focused narrative approach where lots of things don't need to make sense beyond how they are presented, and the story is mostly on rails. World life ooze? Check! Giant birds people ride? CHECK! Swords as large or larger (looking at you, Sephiroth!) than their own bodies that the swing effortlessly, etc. 

I think people like the idea of space fantasy if the fantasy stays in space and doesn't go to to planets.

People enjoy space ships, flying around space in them, walking around in them - But no one likes getting off the space ship.

I think most of the gripes kind of center around that idea. People wanted to take off, explore their ship while it traveled through space, go from point A to B without having a warp load screen in between. An a lot of the game is warping, if you play it that way.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think people like the idea of space fantasy if the fantasy stays in space and doesn't go to to planets.

People enjoy space ships, flying around space in them, walking around in them - But no one likes getting off the space ship.

I think most of the gripes kind of center around that idea. People wanted to take off, explore their ship while it traveled through space, go from point A to B without having a warp load screen in between. An a lot of the game is warping, if you play it that way.

Yes, I would say, specifically with Starfield, that the transitions between Ship/Space/Planet bring down the overall experience. I would also add that there aren't enough population centers, and most of them are poorly designed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Exception: Mass Effect/Star Wars 

Reason: Magical story focused worlds that don't require much sense and have limited curated scenario sandboxes

I think there’s an effort and legacy to be considered. For Star Wars the universe has been developed and expanded for 50 years. Any new game has so much lore and world building already done for it. It’s one of the most lived in fictional universes ever created at this point. 

for Mass Effect there was an insane amount of care to and thought put into the history of every race, history of every planet, and the technology behind everything. You can scan a random planet and get a story. 

everything and everywhere in Starfield has the depth of an elevator pitch. It’s enough to get you hooked to the premise, but once you realize that was all it was, you’re left disappointed there wasn’t more to it. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The new patch delivers a big performance boost for Nvidia owners, but not everyone is impressed.

Testing with an RTX 4080 card revealed that DLSS 3.5 both performs and looks better than native rendering and AMD's FSR, while Frame Generation "delivers a frame rate nearly double native at 4K, exceeding DLSS's Ultra Performance mode, which has a render resolution of just 33%, and still looks absolutely fantastic."

Previously you had to sign into the Starfield beta branch to enjoy those performance benefits

uuuhhh why did PC gamer use “” quotation marks there? Did it not do that for them? Is PCGamer quoting somebody else? 

god that is a shit article. lol it has no substance. Player response is tepid? That’s it? Jesus, somebody had a deadline to publish an article, any article, and just threw this together in 5 minutes. lol

6 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

uuuhhh why did PC gamer use “” quotation marks there? Did it not do that for them? Is PCGamer quoting somebody else? 

god that is a shit article. lol it has no substance. Player response is tepid? That’s it? Jesus, somebody had a deadline to publish an article, any article, and just threw this together in 5 minutes. lol

Most articles from these sites are some form of “game A players are / are not happy with change A to game.” 

I almost wonder if they’re AI generated at this point. I almost hope they are cuz as you noted they’re just shit. 

8 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

You must be new to a PC gamer. If a game is popular they will spew out any type of article they can. :p

On 11/20/2023 at 2:19 PM, UpvoteShittyTakesOnly said:

i finished the main quest line finally around 140 hours into the game and have now been looping back in 

Hide contents

by walking into a different universe each time

fun to see the slightly different way the story goes each time you jump into a different universe

good game that could have been truly great with some modest improvements

Spoiler

Are those different universes random or a set amount of universe's?

11 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Bethesda's heaping plateful of space-spaghetti Starfield presently rejoices in the status of a Mixed Steam user review …

You can tell that we've entered the "slow news/no news" time of year when this non-story has received as much attention as it has (and by that I mean anything more than "none") in the gaming media! :lol:

• stepee 1

Instead of figuring out how to undo and uninstall the DLSS mod I decided to just delete the game itself and reinstall from scratch. The game was crashing if I tried to change any display settings. Now it’s fine. Upped it to Quality with Frame Gen, and Reflex + boost. 

it looks great and maybe feels smoother than it did before. Except for the menus. I need to reinstall the UI 120fps mod again. 

• Hype 1