Starfield - Information Thread, update (09/16): "Shattered Space" expansion deep-dive video

SaysWho?

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I put so much points towards other things I think I may have fucked up. Plus, there is a freestar mission where I'm stuck at by getting fucked by ships. I'm in a terrible spot lol. I am going to focus all my attention towards Starfield and wait on Cyberpunk. I just enjoy Starfield more. 

Me too. Starfield is so fucking good. 

51 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm gunna put all my skill points towards a better ship. Fuck this. 

there are also some better ships you can get the end of quests. 

The end of the Freestar Rangers gives you a ship. 

see if you have a quest about the Mantis in you missions. 
Walter at Constellation has a mission called Overdesigned, but you need to be able to fly either B or C class ships. For the C class ship you need to pass a persuasion check. (I’m using this one now)

I’ve heard the UC quest line gets you a ship at the end too, but I cannot verify this.  

• Thanks 1

I just flew the ship you get at the beginning of the game until I was required to upgrade. I had a space battle early on that was giving me problems until I realized the key thing with ship battles is to make sure you're maneuvering properly, focus on one ship at a time in multiple ship battles, make sure you have repair kits and always keep enemy ships in your line of sight. I haven't had too many problems with ship to ship battles since early in the game.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

Well, I beat this game. I spent nearly a hundred hours on it, probably a good ten of those just designing ships. That's a hundred hours without doing a single faction mission. I thought to myself that I'd join a faction on a new game, but I don't know if I'll actually play a new game right now or if I want to wait until actual mod tools are out.

I obviously enjoyed myself, but I will say I am very disappointed in the way the mystery unravels. By that I mean, there's no mystery to unravel. Everyone has shaky theories and then you get a ton of exposition lobbed in your face. A shame too because I think the best stories told in this game are the heavy sci-fi ones, but a lot of them are missed opportunities. Even the very concepts explored with the ECS Constant are fascinating, even if they don't really amount to much.

Aside from that, I want a mod that will let me choose the placement of ship doors. I also want to be able to walk around my ship while it's floating in free space.

• Hype 1

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

there are also some better ships you can get the end of quests. 

The end of the Freestar Rangers gives you a ship. 

see if you have a quest about the Mantis in you missions. 
Walter at Constellation has a mission called Overdesigned, but you need to be able to fly either B or C class ships. For the C class ship you need to pass a persuasion check. (I’m using this one now)

I’ve heard the UC quest line gets you a ship at the end too, but I cannot verify this.  

I can't finish my one quest for the Freestar Rangers which ends with my ship blowing up. I am doing side quests and have already put 2 points towards tech/ship. Thanks for the information. 

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

The problem with the ship battles is you don’t have to engage with it AT ALL, until, welp, now you fuckin do and not only are you under powered but we don’t really explain any of it very well so good luck to you hope you have Google. 

Isn't there a tutorial on ship battles right at the start of the game?

An I the only crazy person here that actually likes the ship building stuff? I rebuilt the Frontier several times over the course of the game. I'm just very sad you can take any of those rebuilt ships with you into a new game.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Isn't there a tutorial on ship battles right at the start of the game?

There is, but it's very easy and you may not encounter a ship battle a long time after that and by the time you do you're getting dominated by 3 ships that obliterate you right when you get into orbit.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There is, but it's very easy and you may not encounter a ship battle a long time after that and by the time you do you're getting dominated by 3 ships that obliterate you right when you get into orbit.

I think the real issue is probably that the Frontier sucks in battle and I upgraded the ship pretty early into the game. Upgrade the reactor, shield, and weapons and you should be good without getting any deeper into it.

My final ship had a sad mobility of 57 and I didn't really ever have a problem shooting anything down, but I also had a ship with one of every hab and could carry like 6000kg of cargo. It was basically a tank capable of shooting pretty much anything out of the sky.

• Halal 2

32 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I think the real issue is probably that the Frontier sucks in battle and I upgraded the ship pretty early into the game. Upgrade the reactor, shield, and weapons and you should be good without getting any deeper into it.

I mean yeah obviously upgrading your ship is the solution but it's like @Paperclyp said there's really no reason to early on, and by the time you need that upgrade you're getting shot down.

I think, like the bigger complaints with the game, that if you actually spent more time on your ship, like if instead of jumping places you actually had to navigate to places, then you would have more of an incentive to upgrade your ship.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I mean yeah obviously upgrading your ship is the solution but it's like @Paperclyp said there's really no reason to early on, and by the time you need that upgrade you're getting shot down.

I think, like the bigger complaints with the game, that if you actually spent more time on your ship, like if instead of jumping places you actually had to navigate to places, then you would have more of an incentive to upgrade your ship.

Well, I was playing with both the bounty perk and the Busier Space mod. Both of those add more hostile ships. However, I knew that I'd be busy customizing my ship as soon as I landed on Jemison and realized I could rebuild and explore my ship.

Either way, it is easy to work around. By the time you're getting shot down, it should be easy enough to retreat and upgraded your ship. Shield, reactor, missiles, and lasers. Those are the top upgrades folks should look for if they don't really want to get into the weeds of ship building.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I fuckin love this game even with all it's flaws. I will become Han Solo soon enough!

I just did a Freestyle mission where as soon as you 

Spoiler

Come out of orbit you have to fight 3 pirate ships. I immediately put my shields up along with missiles and lasers. Kept using boost to avoid their missile locks. Got them on my second attempt. You can lower the Grav stat on your ship to zero and use those extra slots for weapons since you don’t need it for a close combat ship fight  

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

My final ship had a sad mobility of 57 and I didn't really ever have a problem shooting anything down, but I also had a ship with one of every hab and could carry like 6000kg of cargo. It was basically a tank capable of shooting pretty much anything out of the sky.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I should be clear I was posting in the heat of the moment to vent and after I did so I destroyed the full fight an attempt or two later without a save. And actually I did so by getting just smarter at what I was doing, which is probably a good thing - and frankly I had somewhat of a good time doing it! But I didn’t have a good sense of, is this me sucking or is my ship not up to snuff. 

I was using the razorleaf, which I really like as a ship. I am interested in customizing my ship @Ghost_MH , I just haven’t gotten to where I want to commit to it yet. 

However the glitch where I couldn’t damage the last structure to advance was supremely annoying in the moment, and it locked to my quick save so I had to go back farther to fix it. 

11 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I should be clear I was posting in the heat of the moment to vent and after I did so I destroyed the full fight an attempt or two later without a save. And actually I did so by getting just smarter at what I was doing, which is probably a good thing - and frankly I had somewhat of a good time doing it! But I didn’t have a good sense of, is this me sucking or is my ship not up to snuff. 

I was using the razorleaf, which I really like as a ship. I am interested in customizing my ship @Ghost_MH , I just haven’t gotten to where I want to commit to it yet. 

However the glitch where I couldn’t damage the last structure to advance was supremely annoying in the moment, and it locked to my quick save so I had to go back farther to fix it. 

There's this mission where you answer a distress beacon and have to clear a military base of Spacers. I pretty much had to restart that battle from the point I entered the officer's quarters on the third or whatever floor. I kept creeping back through saves, but everytime I got to him the camera would just zoom in on him and spin around. It was very cool.

Yeah, this game is just as buggy as any other Bethesda game. It'll be better once real mod tools are out and modders can go in and fix all these issues. If you're not playing on PC...ummm, hope you don't face any more big save breaking bugs.

I will say, I was killed a few times early on in the game. My favorite thing about ship combat is that the game has a habit of auto-saving not before combat, but before you die. That's very helpful for when you want to retry a battle and quick load into a save with no shields and your hull down to 15 health.

• stepee 1

30 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I just did a Freestyle mission where as soon as you 

Hide contents

Come out of orbit you have to fight 3 pirate ships. I immediately put my shields up along with missiles and lasers. Kept using boost to avoid their missile locks. Got them on my second attempt. You can lower the Grav stat on your ship to zero and use those extra slots for weapons since you don’t need it for a close combat ship fight  

That's the exact mission I'm dying on. Yes, I do everything you explained. I'll eventually get there. 

36 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There's this mission where you answer a distress beacon and have to clear a military base of Spacers. I pretty much had to restart that battle from the point I entered the officer's quarters on the third or whatever floor. I kept creeping back through saves, but everytime I got to him the camera would just zoom in on him and spin around. It was very cool.

Yeah, this game is just as buggy as any other Bethesda game. It'll be better once real mod tools are out and modders can go in and fix all these issues. If you're not playing on PC...ummm, hope you don't face any more big save breaking bugs.

I will say, I was killed a few times early on in the game. My favorite thing about ship combat is that the game has a habit of auto-saving not before combat, but before you die. That's very helpful for when you want to retry a battle and quick load into a save with no shields and your hull down to 15 health.

Thankfully I am on PC. I mentioned it earlier in this thread but one thing I'm noticing in my play through is the precision to target in particular items / ships in space, like when you "select" them to dock or loot or what have you, is bugged on my game. To the point it just literally doesn't work on a controller and I have to find the right spot with the mouse. It's very frustrating, in particular after a space fight where I want to loot any big bads I killed (a process I find annoying even when it's working properly). 

It reminds me of a Morrowind bug where all the NPCs in the world would just slowly drift a specific direction over time, and eventually a lot of them would be in the way of doors and places you need to get to. In that case, you could just go in to the game command prompt or whatever it's called and reset their position, but my thing in starfield doesn't seem widespread enough for me to find an easy solution. 

It's funny, they hyped this as the least buggy Bethesda release ever, and while that is probably true, for my personal experience, it has been the most buggy that I can remember. I think the biggest issues I've had in the past were primarily like, hard crashes or like, certain quests getting completed in skyrim but they don't complete or something like that. The ones I've experienced in Starfield so far have been much more detrimental to my experience. 

Edit: Oh and I could be insane, but I think the precision thing is starting to affect mousing over items on foot as well. It just feels off now. I'm gonna do a little digging to see if that problem has been more widely reported. 

53 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Thankfully I am on PC. I mentioned it earlier in this thread but one thing I'm noticing in my play through is the precision to target in particular items / ships in space, like when you "select" them to dock or loot or what have you, is bugged on my game. To the point it just literally doesn't work on a controller and I have to find the right spot with the mouse. It's very frustrating, in particular after a space fight where I want to loot any big bads I killed (a process I find annoying even when it's working properly). 

It reminds me of a Morrowind bug where all the NPCs in the world would just slowly drift a specific direction over time, and eventually a lot of them would be in the way of doors and places you need to get to. In that case, you could just go in to the game command prompt or whatever it's called and reset their position, but my thing in starfield doesn't seem widespread enough for me to find an easy solution. 

It's funny, they hyped this as the least buggy Bethesda release ever, and while that is probably true, for my personal experience, it has been the most buggy that I can remember. I think the biggest issues I've had in the past were primarily like, hard crashes or like, certain quests getting completed in skyrim but they don't complete or something like that. The ones I've experienced in Starfield so far have been much more detrimental to my experience. 

Edit: Oh and I could be insane, but I think the precision thing is starting to affect mousing over items on foot as well. It just feels off now. I'm gonna do a little digging to see if that problem has been more widely reported. 

Ah, there are two mods that might help you out here. I've used both of them since half an hour into the game so... Maybe they'll be helpful for you?

WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

This mod cuts that frustrating one-second delay when grabbing objects and bodies to just 300 milliseconds, making your game more responsive and enjoyable.

WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

Uses Console Command Runner to increases or decrease the distance at which you can loot, dock, and transfer with you ship with a choice between 50 and...

I very quickly realized I didn't like how grabbing things worked in this game.

This game isn't buggy in that I don't occasionally fall through the floor or get stuck in walls, but I don't know how many times I've spoken to someone and their head has pulled an Exorcist while talking to me.

• stepee 1
  • Haha 1

I'll just raise my hand and say I didn't upgrade my ship one except for giving myself the targeting perk and I was able to survive the first three ship battle. Only other piece of advice I can give folks is to try and out flank them when you first warp in. It may seem impossible, but you can beat this encounter and once you do, you'll wonder why you found it so hard.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Keep moving. Boost and fire. Don’t ever stay still. Stick and move. Stick and move. 

This is true. One of the reasons I was dying early was because I was either flying too slowly and didn't realize it or I was at a complete stop and didn't realize it. Manage your throttle and keep moving and always try to keep the enemy in your sights. Also remember, lasers are more efffective at taking down shields and ballistics are more effective against the ships hull. Missles are effective against both. Lastly during the fight, route as much power as you can to your shields. 

• Thanks 1

I make sure my shields are always max. I have a couple points in engines and the different weapons. The game will auto allocate and unallocate the points for grav drive when jumping if you have unallocated points. 

if I jump or leave a planet and get ambushed I just immediately d-pad over and dump the unallocated points into my weapons. I have rear facing auto turrets so if I get enemies behind me they’re still getting shot. 

I use ship targeting and start targeting the weapons systems of the ships. If they can’t shoot me their defeat is inevitable. All they can do is jump out or fly around until I finish them off. 

this has become my strategy for engagement. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This game isn't buggy in that I don't occasionally fall through the floor or get stuck in walls, but I don't know how many times I've spoken to someone and their head has pulled an Exorcist while talking to me.

I don’t know which I find worse. The ride NPCs that won’t turn to look at you at all or the NPCs that twist their head around like an owl. 

10 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I make sure my shields are always max. I have a couple points in engines and the different weapons. The game will auto allocate and unallocate the points for grav drive when jumping if you have unallocated points. 

if I jump or leave a planet and get ambushed I just immediately d-pad over and dump the unallocated points into my weapons. I have rear facing auto turrets so if I get enemies behind me they’re still getting shot. 

I use ship targeting and start targeting the weapons systems of the ships. If they can’t shoot me their defeat is inevitable. All they can do is jump out or fly around until I finish them off. 

this has become my strategy for engagement. 

Sounds smart... I don't even do that. I have targeting (which works similarly to V.A.T.S. in Fallout) but I never bother to use it. You can take out their engines with targeting then they're sitting ducks. You can then board them and kill and loot them that way or just shoot them out of the sky. Lots of options for space battles in this game.

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

More Starfield tonight @best3444  Dem weekend feels 

I got out at 12pm today and have off Monday for Columbus day.  🙃 

I have already played 2 hours of Starfield and I will binge on it all weekend. This is my game until I beat it. I absolutely love it even though it crashed on me twice today lol. 

• Hype 1

The ship upgrade situation is bad because unlike most of the game there aren’t really options… you can either hang or you can’t. It’d be like forcing you to fight a bunch of enemies who only take shotgun damage but the game never forces you to use a shotgun until then so your shotgun stats and gun are trash.