Starfield - Information Thread, update (09/16): "Shattered Space" expansion deep-dive video

SaysWho?

41 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Isn't the locker in the lodge unlimited? Mine has to max storage cap?

there’s a vault in your room with unlimited mass and in the basement there is a container on the center island with unlimited mass. I use the one in the basement for all my resources for research and weapon/armor upgrade crafting. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Be honest. You’ve quit your job and become a full time astronaut. 

No, I'm just ill. I have a doctor's note. My mom was just taken to the emergency room because she is not doing well at all.

The storge locker in the lodge is from what I see unlimited. 

• Sad 1

QZKpScN.jpg

Don't mind me backing up my big ass dumptruck. It's like 3 layers of bulky, boxy nonsense and as someone who loves big, completely stupid space ships, I like it. I have to go down 3 ladders to get from the cockpit to the exit. I could just select "leave ship" but that would kill the fun. It's got a kitchen, a bathroom, a lounge, a gym, even an office and a brig that I can open/close with a computer! All kinds of nonsense Star Trek consoles you can sit at and pretend to do something. And because I haven't maxed out my fucking captain perks I can only have four fucking crew members on this behemoth.

There were other, more sensible options, but when I saw this fucking tub'o'lard I knew I had to pay the 218,000 credits and upgrade my piloting skill to pilot B class ships.

...if only flying the ship was cool and not just a weird lobby. I'd love it if you had the option to hyper-cruise to a destination and could spend time fucking around on your ship during the journey. Would be a good place for lots of stuff to happen between you and companions, and a good place for the minigames they decided not to add to the game. FUCKING MAKE MINIGAMES BETHESDA.

• Halal 2
  • Hype 1

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

QZKpScN.jpg

Don't mind me backing up my big ass dumptruck. It's like 3 layers of bulky, boxy nonsense and as someone who loves big, completely stupid space ships, I like it. I have to go down 3 ladders to get from the cockpit to the exit. I could just select "leave ship" but that would kill the fun. It's got a kitchen, a bathroom, a lounge, a gym, even an office and a brig that I can open/close with a computer! All kinds of nonsense Star Trek consoles you can sit at and pretend to do something. And because I haven't maxed out my fucking captain perks I can only have four fucking crew members on this behemoth.

There were other, more sensible options, but when I saw this fucking tub'o'lard I knew I had to pay the 218,000 credits and upgrade my piloting skill to pilot B class ships.

...if only flying the ship was cool and not just a weird lobby. I'd love it if you had the option to hyper-cruise to a destination and could spend time fucking around on your ship during the journey. Would be a good place for lots of stuff to happen between you and companions, and a good place for the minigames they decided not to add to the game. FUCKING MAKE MINIGAMES BETHESDA.

Fuckin awesome. You make a great point about traveling in the craft and being able to hangout in the ship to interact with companions etc. 

59 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

QZKpScN.jpg

I stole a Val’run ship that looks like that. Absolutely massive. Five levels if you include the bridge. A lot of parts of the ship are just mass hull blocks. I’m keeping it to upgrade and maybe ass more cargo or habitats. I already swapped one of those hull modules for a shielded cargo module to smuggle. 

The weapons are shit though. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

No, I'm just ill. I have a doctor's note. My mom was just taken to the emergency room because she is not doing well at all

what new game is she playing and needs time off of work? New Pokémon DLC? 

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I stole a Val’run ship that looks like that. Absolutely massive. Five levels if you include the bridge. A lot of parts of the ship are just mass hull blocks. I’m keeping it to upgrade and maybe ass more cargo or habitats. I already swapped one of those hull modules for a shielded cargo module to smuggle. 

The weapons are shit though. 

spacer.png

what new game is she playing and needs time off of work? New Pokémon DLC? 

Holy shit that ship is MASSIVE.

She's 84 and looked like absolute shit this morning. She could barely talk so my sister and I had to basically carry her to the car to drive to the emergency room. It's not good. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

So I installed a mod so each vendor has 50,000 credits since they all seemed weirdly broke and it was annoying going I like 8 cities to sell my stuff. 

I happened to go to Akila to sell stuff, and while sorting out my inventory I accidentally dropped a small item like a med pack or something. So I crouch down to pick it up and a weird loot box pops up in a puddle. It's for the general store merchant and is a classic Bethesda merchant box hidden under the ground. :lol:

Merchants restock every two days, so I've just been sitting down nearby for 48 hours and then looting this merchant for tons of items and 50k credits, it's great. I could just cheat this stuff in but it's way funnier that the chest doesn't even require any special janking around the environment, it's just in a puddle in front of the general store. I looked it up and apparently it's a well known thing people have been doing for a while!

Also goddamn is it annoying that the default button for reload on controller is the same as transferring from someone's inventory. So many times I want to just reload while looting and I'll just open this annoying fullscreen menu. Doubly so because your quick menu on the D-Pad is disabled when looking at loot, so I can't use a med pack quickly other unless I move my camera. Real amateur shit. Especially not just having a button for "use healing item, any healing item" by default.

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I've seen videos of that Akila thing.

You're full of it if you think we believe that story though. :talkhand:

Noooo! My e-cred!!

• True 1

17 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Also goddamn is it annoying that the default button for reload on controller is the same as transferring from someone's inventory. So many times I want to just reload while looting and I'll just open this annoying fullscreen menu. Doubly so because your quick menu on the D-Pad is disabled when looking at loot, so I can't use a med pack quickly other unless I move my camera. Real amateur shit. Especially not just having a button for "use healing item, any healing item" by default.

Well the upcoming patch will have "eat" so I figure this will be fixed soon... eventually... ???

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Can you load a save before you used it or has it moved faster than the speed of light and is now existing in a time before you cast it? 

Someone else with the problem found the very obvious and not at all esoteric of sitting on a chair, so that worked.

Someone else who had it had all their autosaves infected with it and sitting didn't help them! That had to be fun.

27 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Someone else with the problem found the very obvious and not at all esoteric of sitting on a chair, so that worked.

Someone else who had it had all their autosaves infected with it and sitting didn't help them! That had to be fun.

People the rely on auto save are like girls that trust Nick Cannon to pull out. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Bitgod said:

You gotta admit that Borderlands not having fall damage because "it doesn't make the game fun" is the right attitude and you wish Bethesda would use it to some things in the game like encumberment.  It doesn't make the game fun.  Neither does broke ass vendors.

The problem with the whole thing is that it puts guardrails up against fun but they don't actually serve their intended purpose, which is to not "break the game." Between broke merchants, encumbrance, and leveled loot, the likely goal is to not shoot the game's content wad right away and to prevent someone from carrying enough clutter to sell to an infinitely wealthy merchant so that you can buy a dank ship right away.

But these games are so popular and have so many people playing them from jump that within a week from launch (or BEFORE launch, with the new "pay to play early" stuff that is seemingly going to happen with big releases now) every social media platform and clickbait gaming site will list ways to cheesedick your way to awesome loot as soon as you get away from the tutorial so... I don't know what it actually accomplishes other than to prevent people from just having fun.

Again the purpose of a limited inventory in something like Resident Evil is to keep you from arming yourself to the teeth and trivializing every encounter. It serves an actual purpose and the gameplay space is small enough for Capcom to effectively design the game around that constraint. BGS open world games are much more flexible by design, so those constraints not only feel artificial, they just create a shitload of busywork. You can fly your ass all over the galaxy to keep finding vendors to sell your shit and derp back and forth to snatch all the loot.  That just... sucks.

For a Microsoft-owned studio, for Starfield to launch with practically zero accessibility features is unacceptable on any level:

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

A look at Starfield's accessibility options.

For me, Starfield is a brilliant game with an impressive universe to explore, interesting people to meet, an addictive ship building mechanic to sink hours into and beautiful cities to investigate. This level of immersion is what makes Bethesda games worth waiting for. However, many players will not have the chance to play Starfield without crucial accessibility changes.

In the future, Bethesda needs to learn from the accessibility mistakes of Starfield, to improve the studio's design practices and join the plethora of fantastic Microsoft and Xbox developers who make innovative and accessible games. Let us hope that Elder Scrolls 6 will be the most accessible Bethesda game yet.

I know that one reviewer docked the game quite a few points for this negligence:

Behold, Starfield’s accessibility screen: 5 options. Five. That’s it. Not even some of ones that would be considered bog-standard in even indie games at this point, like color blindness options or UI backdrop opacity. Oh, but they made sure to move “Toggle Ironsights” from “Controls” to “Accessibility” to pad the numbers, and they still only ended up with 5 options, which wouldn’t even reach bare-minimum standards for developers a tenth Bethesda’s size.

That is not only disappointing, but it’s also disgusting, if you ask me. And it is such a critical flaw with the game, that it makes everything the game does right turn sour for me, and everything the game does wrong turn repugnant. Let me say this before I get deep into any grand screed: Bethesda chose quick money and laziness over the ability for millions of its fans to play their game. They did a cost benefit analysis (or several) somewhere down the line that said that the cost of including accessibility features would cost more than the sales to disabled played would make up for.

And that is unacceptable, nasty, and frustrating. And not enough people are talking about it. People are too busy complaining about boundaries, funny mouth animations, or barren worlds (hell, so am I), but they aren’t talking about the true biggest issue with Starfield. Maybe that’s because those who it affects just cannot play it. Bethesda has, with this, said that they don’t care enough to make sure people can play their games. Zero effort. Zero care. Zero compassion for people who were thrilled to get to explore their janky piece of the universe, who now can’t because Bethesda couldn’t be bothered to put in some color filters or UI elements, to say nothing of audio narration, simplifying controls, high contrast display, or — stars forbid — actual visual guidance cues.

When games like God of War Ragnarök and Control have accessibility options that stretch on for pages in their menus, the lack of it here is especially frustrating. Games have become, by-and-large, so much more accessible. So many more people get to enjoy games, and that should mean a larger consumer base (not to mention free positive press). The world is made better when it is made accessible. What Bethesda has done, instead, is regress, and present less accessibility options than games from half a decade (or more) ago.

Two of my closest friends, not to mention another half dozen people I know well, are either unable to play Starfield, or will struggle severely to do so, possibly to the point of pain. All of them were excited to play this. All of them were able to, through mods, fall in love with Fallout and/or Elder Scrolls because of what Bethesda is capable of. And now, years later, as they release a new game into the modern world, and have had practically limitless resources to create it, they’ve chosen to leave those with disabilities with the short stick.

Sorry, the sci-fi RPG with mass appeal isn’t for you if you’re disabled. That spaceship just isn’t handicap accessible.

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For a Microsoft-owned studio, for Starfield to launch with practically zero accessibility features is unacceptable on any level:

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

A look at Starfield's accessibility options.

I know that one reviewer docked the game quite a few points for this negligence:

lol some of that is just a load a crap. Yeah yeah, most people aren’t complaining about accessibility features, because most gamers don’t need them. It’s not their fault they’re having fun. I can’t even count the number of games I’ve played the in the past year that had them with complete honesty, because I don’t specifically look for them. 

and yeah Bethesda was bought by MS, that doesn’t give them unlimited resources. It doesn’t even give them $1B worth of resources, which is still waaaay below the company’s worth or hell, what they’re trying to spend on Activision. 

but yeah, Bethesda was willing to grab a live wire and jump into the pronoun/gender identity debate while leaving out some pretty easy and basic accessibility options. While I’m glad to see the inclusiveness of the former in more games, the latter results in people physically being excluded from playing the game. 

if grading Starfield just by the game’s options alone, this game gets an F. It feels like most of the features Bethesda simply didn’t even bother to spend the time on them figuring modders would take care of it. Heck the list of upcoming high priority items they said they were working on are considered by most to be basic settings options. 

And yeah, from my time around different forums I’ve seen that there is no end to the requests of different accessibility options. I saw people asking Bungie for an option to disable the sound of dripping water in certain levels. But this is because there’s no end to things human beings can suffer from that would prevent them from enjoying something. But nobody can pretend Bethesda did even a bare minimum, because again, like with other options we have seen they didn’t do that for anyone. 

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Just finished the mission High Price to Pay and 

Reveal hidden contents

I just did this mission as well… 

Spoiler

First off, it seems to kill off your favorite companion (or the one that has the highest affinity to you). Or the second favorite depending on where you go. Which is pretty… not like Bethesda I guess. It was the first time the game got my attention plot wise. 

But it also like … ok for me killed Sarah who I had actually spent hardly any time with but was interested in her story and she feels like, I dunno almost the defacto main companion to me. So I’m like… shit. I wonder what I’m gonna be missing.  But the other option is Barrett and I love Barrett so I’m not letting him go. 

On 9/15/2023 at 2:53 PM, Xbob42 said:

So I installed a mod so each vendor has 50,000 credits since they all seemed weirdly broke and it was annoying going I like 8 cities to sell my stuff. 

I happened to go to Akila to sell stuff, and while sorting out my inventory I accidentally dropped a small item like a med pack or something. So I crouch down to pick it up and a weird loot box pops up in a puddle. It's for the general store merchant and is a classic Bethesda merchant box hidden under the ground. :lol:

Merchants restock every two days, so I've just been sitting down nearby for 48 hours and then looting this merchant for tons of items and 50k credits, it's great. I could just cheat this stuff in but it's way funnier that the chest doesn't even require any special janking around the environment, it's just in a puddle in front of the general store. I looked it up and apparently it's a well known thing people have been doing for a while!

Yup. I saw an article about this puddle a few days ago

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I just did this mission as well… 

Hide contents

First off, it seems to kill off your favorite companion (or the one that has the highest affinity to you). Or the second favorite depending on where you go. Which is pretty… not like Bethesda I guess. It was the first time the game got my attention plot wise. 

But it also like … ok for me killed Sarah who I had actually spent hardly any time with but was interested in her story and she feels like, I dunno almost the defacto main companion to me. So I’m like… shit. I wonder what I’m gonna be missing.  But the other option is Barrett and I love Barrett so I’m not letting him go. 

Spoiler

After Sarah’s death I just made Anreja my woman.

she has a cooler story anyway.