Starfield - Information Thread, update (09/16): "Shattered Space" expansion deep-dive video

SaysWho?

39 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I dont think I get space travel. Trying to do a side mission and there's no way to fast travel to it.. or anywhere near it. So I ghess I'm just supposed to Neil Armstrong it for 2-3 hrs of actual space travel? 

I’m not quite sure what you mean, you can’t fast travel. Only place I couldn’t fast travel to for side quests are when I needed to land and explore the area with my scanner to find where I needed to go. If you’re trying to get to a planet or moon there is very much fast travel.

There’s multiple ways to do it in space to get to another part of the system or travel to another system. If it’s your active mission you can just select the quest marker and you get the UI to press travel. Then you just go. Like If I (on controller) was on a planet and now needed to go to another planet I could lift off in my ship, from space look towards the mission marker, press A, get the prompt to hold X to travel, hold X and see a cutscene taking me to that planet. 

21 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’m not quite sure what you mean, you can’t fast travel. Only place I couldn’t fast travel to for side quests are when I needed to land and explore the area with my scanner to find where I needed to go. If you’re trying to get to a planet or moon there is very much fast travel.

There’s multiple ways to do it in space to get to another part of the system or travel to another system. If it’s your active mission you can just select the quest marker and you get the UI to press travel. Then you just go. Like If I (on controller) was on a planet and now needed to go to another planet I could lift off in my ship, from space look towards the mission marker, press A, get the prompt to hold X to travel, hold X and see a cutscene taking me to that planet. 

Maybe I'm missing something because I've done all that and I get a you can't fast travel to this location because you haven't discovered it or some crap 

4 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Maybe I'm missing something because I've done all that and I get a you can't fast travel to this location because you haven't discovered it or some crap 

so I solved an issue where I couldn’t land at certain places from orbit or the starmap, and maybe your issue is the same if you remapped buttons/keys. 

the game tells you if there is a conflict, but doesn’t mention all of the conflicts you could have. So if you customized your button layout you may have inadvertently left in a conflict that has caused the travel option to be removed from the UI or fail to show up. 

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

yeahhhhh boiiiii

lol could you imagine if it was a Series S

Shit I wouldn’t care. I just really appreciate it man! All set up and purchased GamePass. Downloading Starfield. Thanks again bruh. Unbelievably nice and generous of you. 

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

32 minutes ago, best3444 said:

BTW :blush:

Hide contents

I started over in Starfield because I wanted a more cohesive beginning and better classes selected. I still have my other save but you know me and starting over in games. 

I thought about that too. I had a vision for the kind of space Cowboy I’d be, and so far I am not doing that. lol it’s about 50/50. 

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Wild shit that if you get yourself a dank apartment it's still like Morrowind. No windows that look outside, no mirrors that work. That came out 20 years ago, go home Bethesda, you're drunk.

Im pretty sure the mirrors thing is like that because Bethesda is using cube maps for their reflections, and that wouldn’t work with a mirror. This game would be amazing with RT reflections, but I doubt even a 4090 with an 13900K would be able to run the game at a decent frame rate. lol

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I thought about that too. I had a vision for the kind of space Cowboy I’d be, and so far I am not doing that. lol it’s about 50/50. 

Im pretty sure the mirrors thing is like that because Bethesda is using cube maps for their reflections, and that wouldn’t work with a mirror. This game would be amazing with RT reflections, but I doubt even a 4090 with an 13900K would be able to run the game at a decent frame rate. lol

Mirrors are one of those things where I don't know if I'd notice if there wasn't a single one in the whole galaxy, but when there is one and it doesn't work, it's just immediately very funny to me.

I get why the windows thing is the way it is too, again, it's just funny that the "Dream House" trait gets you / any house you buy is essentially a very large coffin. :p

24 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Also a little further in the game now and the lack of a local map is sincerely one of the stupidest design decisions in recent memory. It doesn't make any fucking sense.

Probably one of the last things on their production project and then some exec said: "Roll it out on September 6th. I don't care if there is no map. I need a new Ferrari."

4 hours ago, eventide11 said:

I dont think I get space travel. Trying to do a side mission and there's no way to fast travel to it.. or anywhere near it. So I ghess I'm just supposed to Neil Armstrong it for 2-3 hrs of actual space travel? 

it could be a case where your ship doesnt have enough fuel and you have to bunny hop to planets to refuel until you get to your desired planet

I’ve played maybe just 8 hours or so, and I’m not really feeling it. I keep encountering new layers of the game and thinking “I don’t wanna mess with that”. So then I just focus on doing the story missions, which haven’t been particularly thrilling to far. I’ll probably keep poking at it for another few days, but if I don’t come around on it, that’s fine. My expectations were under control. 

• stepee 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

Yeah I'm not getting fast travel at all and I've been playing for near 40 years. I can travel to certain places after layers of prompts etc but to get to the 'red dot' systems it says you haven't discovered this star system or whatever and even the closest I can get would take hours of travel. Maybe if I get further in the story I can but for now it's beyond frustrating. There's a good game in here somewhere they just don't want you to play it the way you want unlike other open world, sandbox, Skyrimmy type games 

8 hours ago, best3444 said:

BTW :blush:

Reveal hidden contents

I played for three hours tonight and I finally 

Spoiler

Cleared the research facility at the very beginning and landed on Atlantis and then I saved.  

I am really taking my time and searching every nook and cranny. So far the game is fucking awesome. Downloading Forza tonight to try out tomorrow. 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 2

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Also a little further in the game now and the lack of a local map is sincerely one of the stupidest design decisions in recent memory. It doesn't make any fucking sense.

This is one of gripes with the game too. If not a full map of major city hubs it would be nice if you could use kiosks around the city that had a list of the places of interest, descriptions on what they were maybe, and selecting a place would put up a way point to guide you there, like activating an Activity mission in your menu.

I also wish you could consume or use aid items from the world without having to pick them up first.

It would be nice if when shopping with vendors it would show you in the UI how many of an item you have. Especially with aid items and ammo.

and maybe this is just a limitation of Creation Engine and it can't do it, but I wish they tried to hide all loading behind a cutscene. It seems to take the same amount of time to load whether I see the landing animation or it fast travels me to being outside of the ship from orbit. I'd rather choose to see the landing every time, like I see the take off every time, and some slightly more elaborate hatch opening animation to hide the loading so the game can feel a bit more seamless. even if it is very artificial, like characters squeezing through tight spaces in 3rd person games. I'm fine with there still being fast travel with loading screens for those that want to do that too.

15 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Shockingly I've been really good at my routes where I don't get lost. Don't worry, I thought about this numerous times. Very strange no local map is involved. 🤔 

9 hours ago, eventide11 said:

Yeah I'm not getting fast travel at all and I've been playing for near 40 years. I can travel to certain places after layers of prompts etc but to get to the 'red dot' systems it says you haven't discovered this star system or whatever and even the closest I can get would take hours of travel. Maybe if I get further in the story I can but for now it's beyond frustrating. There's a good game in here somewhere they just don't want you to play it the way you want unlike other open world, sandbox, Skyrimmy type games 

this is most likely due to the fuel of the ship.  you need to go as far as you ship will let you so you can land to refuel.  after that you should be able to fast travel

i also just realized yesterday that you can fast travel to unlocked place without even needing to launch back into space. that saves some time

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@Biggie

Hide contents

Your first skill point should go into unlocking the jetpack. I didn't do this until later which is a shame. 

Funny you said that because later on after football I’ll be picking up where I left off and 

Spoiler

I have one skill point to use but decided to hold off until I thought about what to sink it into. 

15 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Funny you said that because later on after football I’ll be picking up where I left off and 

Hide contents

I have one skill point to use but decided to hold off until I thought about what to sink it into. 

Good. Then you have to find

Spoiler

A jetpack on an enemy etc. 

• Confused 1

On the other hand here's a tip if you're a sick fuck like me who likes to place items on shelves and stuff. These control aren't in the bindings.

Hold A to pick up an object, then it will be suspended in front of you.

Push RT and LT to rotate the object. If you push the left stick button it lets you rotate the object on a different axis.

Then push A to let it go.

if you push X you can throw the object.

• Thanks 2