Starfield - Information Thread, update (09/16): "Shattered Space" expansion deep-dive video

SaysWho?

11 hours ago, Bitgod said:

I'm actually not that bothered by the color tinting of the game, guess I'm used to Bethesda battering my eyes

Oh you poor soul. Bless your heart. 

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

* Get aboard the "key" as soon as you can (Crimson Fleet quest line) and purchase the bounty hunter armor from one of the vendors there

I just found that Armor in a mission not in questline. There was sooo much good loot in the mission, including a ship. 

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

NVidia GPU users: force ReBAR on with nVidia Profile Inspector until nVidia adds support (they do ReBAR via driver whitelists). The performance boost is not insignificant;

Is this different than enabling it from the BIOS? If not then I’m good. 

as far as doing the main story I see so many dividing opinions. Some say yes, but don’t finish it. Some say just go straight through as soon as possible. Some say go do other stuff first. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is this different than enabling it from the BIOS? If not then I’m good. 

Yes, it's different. As I mentioned in my post, nVidia enables ReBAR on a game by game basis via drivers, so, just because it's enabled on your motherboard doesn't mean that the game is using ReBAR: with Starfield, as of right now, you'd need to enable it manually via NV Profile Inspector. It's pretty easy and there are instructions in that thread. :santasun:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Have there been many mods to fix common issues? I think I'll delay buying this until then—BG3 has me completely occupied!

There have been a flurry of quick mods that address encumbrance, performance, as well a smattering of comedy and random texture packs.  Another month and we will likely see more quintessential mods like bigger boobs and waifu companions... :p 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Have there been many mods to fix common issues? I think I'll delay buying this until then—BG3 has me completely occupied!

depends on your definition. I’d say yes. A mod to change the FOV from 70 to anything up to 120. A mod to remove the gross filter Bethesda uses that makes the visuals look muddy, a DLSS mod to get better performance. 

Id say these are common issues that have been addressed. I also downloaded a mod that moved the location and XP notifications on the HUD from the middle of the screen to the bottom of the screen, no bigger than your health and ammo elements. 

5 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Seems like nobody likes encumbrance in like any game anymore. I’m afraid to say I like it in games. 

I prefer it to the alternative that you just can’t pick up anything else and have to just leave it. But I’m not a big fan in general. I don’t know if I’ll mod it out though by giving me unlimited mass. I still want to feel like I’m experiencing the game. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

You guys are all old so it goes against my theory of it being impatient gen z’ers who just want to min max everything and play every game as fast as they can. 

I look at encumbrance in CRPGs the way I would the difficulty level in a Souls game, its part of the experience. Yes, I want to lift the yoke, but that challenge is part of the experience and easing it is part of the sense of progress/accomplishment. :sun:

23 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I look at encumbrance in CRPGs the way I would the difficulty level in a Souls game, its part of the experience. Yes, I want to lift the yoke, but that challenge is part of the experience and easing it is part of the sense of progress/accomplishment. :sun:

I like it because it makes me think about what I’m picking up, I actually like inventory management (get a little brain fuzz clearing stuff up), but primarily just cuz it creates a natural loop of like, ok, I’m full, I need to go to town, sell some stuff, reset my thinking, and move on. 

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

im trying to decide if i want to ride the razorleaf or star eagle ships.

I can't speak to Razorleaf, but Star Eagle is a beast! Auto lock lasers chew through most enemies pretty quick making combat easy compared to your starter ship.  That said, combat needs to be handled from 3rd person as the cockpit view is vertically cramped in the Star Eagle. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I can't speak to Razorleaf, but Star Eagle is a beast! Auto lock lasers chew through most enemies pretty quick making combat easy compared to your starter ship.  That said, combat needs to be handled from 3rd person as the cockpit view is vertically cramped in the Star Eagle. 

How did you get the Star Eagle?

12 minutes ago, Biggie said:

So I’ve looked into selling my plasma to get money to buy the Xbox to play this? Worth the effort? Real talk. How good is the game.

It’s literally Skyrim / Fallout in space with modern trappings and some new mechanics. Don’t overthink it. It’s not the second coming. 

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

So no?

If skyrim and fallout are your favorite games of all time and you’re dying to play a Bethesda game of that ilk that looks like a 2023 game and runs and plays a little better, by all means sell your tv. 

I just feel like you should kinda know how much you want something like that though. I personally really enjoy Bethesda's games and I will really enjoy this, but you aren’t missing some kind of revolutionary experience. 

The other thing that kind of perplexed me were these menus in the game. And I'm sure if I thought they were bonkers @Paperclyp must think they are absurd.

You go into the menu with start, and go to the map with A, then you want to back out and go back to the main menu so you push B but it just pulls you off the planet, and then every push of B keeps going further and further back. You have to HOLD B and it takes you out of the menu. I feel it should be the opposite.

Also, I feel like pushing select (or whatever the two box button is called) should bring up your map but it goes into 3rd person mode. Bringing up your map is more important than that and there is no binding for that.

Also I swapped Right stick button and B, for melee and crouch. Melee is terrible on RS.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The other thing that kind of perplexed me were these menus in the game. And I'm sure if I thought they were bonkers @Paperclyp must think they are absurd.

You go into the menu with start, and go to the map with A, then you want to back out and go back to the main menu so you push B but it just pulls you off the planet, and then every push of B keeps going further and further back. You have to HOLD B and it takes you out of the menu. I feel it should be the opposite.

Also, I feel like pushing select (or whatever the two box button is called) should bring up your map but it goes into 3rd person mode. Bringing up your map is more important than that and there is no binding for that.

Also I swapped Right stick button and B, for melee and crouch. Melee is terrible on RS.

I literally opened the screen initially and shook my head in disgust lol. 

I don’t know if they have a team that’s like, ok we’re on menus. We have to make it functional for both controller and for mouse. Which means it’s gonna suck for both. But man we are in a worsening crisis of menus in video games. 

Thank god baldurs gate’s menus are fine. 

• Hugs 1

13 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

If skyrim and fallout are your favorite games of all time and you’re dying to play a Bethesda game of that ilk that looks like a 2023 game and runs and plays a little better, by all means sell your tv. 

I just feel like you should kinda know how much you want something like that though. I personally really enjoy Bethesda's games and I will really enjoy this, but you aren’t missing some kind of revolutionary experience. 

No not a plasma television. I’m talking about selling my actual plasma here at a BioLife plasma center. 

• Haha 1