Starfield - Information Thread, update (09/16): "Shattered Space" expansion deep-dive video

SaysWho?

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Stop It Alex Borstein GIF by The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

But it should be off for vrr which should vsync at driver level! Are you using the dlss mod? I don’t get how to set it? It is showing 1600p>1600p, I tried changing the internal resolution percentage to adjust but it’s not changing that 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

But it should be off for vrr which should vsync at driver level! Are you using the dlss mod? I don’t get how to set it? It is showing 1600p>1600p, I tried changing the internal resolution percentage to adjust but it’s not changing that 

It's recommended to have vsync on with gsync actually.

I'm not playing it yet, I'm still balls deep in BG3 so there was no way I was going to pay an extra $32 or whatever when I can just wait :p 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It's recommended to have vsync on with gsync actually.

I'm not playing it yet, I'm still balls deep in BG3 so there was no way I was going to pay an extra $32 or whatever when I can just wait :p 

That’s what I mean tho, you are supposed to have vsync forced in nvidia control panel and then you turn it off on the game itself to make sure it’s using nvidia vsync. Apparently it’s working fine actually still and dlss seems to be working too tho it’s not showing my native res, the frame rate is scaling correctly!

I’ve encountered what I think is a really annoying bug where I can’t get my ship to appear. My second ship was originally a pirate vessel that I commandeered and then spent an hour or so customizing. I then happened upon a third ship that just landed in front of me, so I figured I’d take it and sell it (FYI, the total profit turned out to be ~2k, so maybe not worth the trouble.) I finished my mission using the third ship and went to a major city to register and sell it. When I change my home ship back to my custom ship, it doesn’t appear. If I change it back to the original ship, it pops right up. I re-loaded and it seems no matter where I am I can’t get my custom ship to appear.

I can make my ship my home ship and I can edit it and I can assign crew to it, but I can’t get it to re-appear no matter what I do. When my custom ship is set to home, I get a message just saying “you can’t fast travel now,” but if either other ship is set to home they appear right away and fast travel is fine. It’s not an inventory problem, so I just don’t know what to do.

I think my choices right now are to lose a couple hours of gameplay and get my ship back or just move on with a new one and hope this doesn’t happen again. I don’t really want to give up the ship since it had some parts I can’t put on myself yet (nice reactor, shielded cargo), but I also don’t really want to try too hard to save a ship that might be bugged itself.

A smaller bug is that I haven’t been able to rename my ship. I can rename in the ship builder, but it always seems to reset. At first it reset to the original Crimson something or other, and then it was referred to as UC Cargo something, and now it’s back to the Crimson whatever, and it will not keep my custom name.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

That’s what I mean tho, you are supposed to have vsync forced in nvidia control panel and then you turn it off on the game itself to make sure it’s using nvidia vsync. Apparently it’s working fine actually still and dlss seems to be working too tho it’s not showing my native res, the frame rate is scaling correctly!

Oh, wait, are you talking DLSS3?

Just now, Brian said:

Is that at the first city? I was reading it dips hard there when reading some Ally impressions

lol no not there yet, just got out of the first section and yeah I think it’ll crash down from here! I’ll let you know when I get to Atlantis how it runs, though we should get double in about a week or so. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

With gsync it doesn’t matter where vsync is activated (in game or forced). With frame gen you want to force it in the control panel, though.

I've always done it with Vsync and Gsync in nVidia control panel and off in game. I've had games where it won't work if it's in game, like RE2 Remake. It would run awful with the vsync on in game, but game works great with it off.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've always done it with Vsync and Gsync in nVidia control panel and off in game. I've had games where it won't work if it's in game, like RE2 Remake. It would run awful with the vsync on in game, but game works great with it off.

Generally this is what I’ve found.

• Hugs 1

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That’s only if it’s forcing some type of weird buffering or adaptive vsync.

MS was publisher of the year for 2021. Other than RedFall they’ve been releasing great games. Just because they aren’t all sad dad AAA narrative TPS games doesn’t mean MS hasn’t been releasing quality games the last 3 years or so. There’s more to gaming than the Sony template.

• Halal 3

im enjoying the game but the travel is just tedious as fuck.  unless im missing a better fast travel way its annoying to be on a quest that send you to another planet for something you can accomplish in a few minutes only to have you go back to the original planet and have to go through all the BS of getting to you ship, expanding out, selecting the planet, then landing.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

I absolutely loved Halo Infinite so that's confusion to call it a disaster. 

Haven't been there yet but great to hear. The more I play the more I'm understanding just how massive this game is. 

I know I ask a lot of stupid questions but here goes.

On my ship there isn't any storage for my guns that I collected. So I'm over encumbered all the time not knowing what to do with these guns?

Also, I was promised a jetpack from Sarah in the beginning of the game but never got it? I even tried to shop around for one and couldn't find it. 

One last thing, where do you buy new ships? I have a good amount of credits and I'd like a ship with storage and more room for my crew. 

LB button in your inventory menu on the ship, only shows up while on ship and is connected to your storage back at home base. Any jet pack that says boost will give you boost, the one you get at the start is just training wheels. Ships you can buy from the ship yard store at most ship yard in the major towns. Don’t bother trying for a new ship until you have around 250K credits because ships south of that aren’t as good as the starter ship.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Encumbrance needs to be modded out. Sinking points to carry stuff sucks

You're welcome.

34 minutes ago, Dodger said:

MS was publisher of the year for 2021. Other than RedFall they’ve been releasing great games. Just because they aren’t all sad dad AAA narrative TPS games doesn’t mean MS hasn’t been releasing quality games the last 3 years or so. There’s more to gaming than the Sony template.

:clap: well said! and I happen to LIKE Sony's sad dad, third person shooter formula. 

• Halal 2

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You're welcome.

:clap: well said! and I happen to LIKE Sony's sad dad, third person shooter formula. 

I like them too but I just want to point just because games like Hi Fi Rush or Pentimemt or flight simulator or FH5 aren’t for everyone doesn’t mean MS hasn’t been releasing great games the last few years 

• True 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What? No. This is terrible.

Here's what you do if you actually want to stop worry about shitty ass carry weight that just makes every game worse:

183-1693533733-1352621927.png
WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

Bat files for EASY CHEATS. 15 files in total to give you Credits, Mass, Digipicks, and XP.

Download that. Just extract mass.txt (+1000 mass) or bigmass.txt (+10,000 mass) to your game's install folder. Same one where Starfield.exe is.

Go in-game, hit tilde and type:

bat mass

or   

bat bigmass

hit enter and tada!

28vb2lQ.png

Pretty sure you can repeat if you need more, but I think that's plenty.

Of course, if you still care about achievements (which just about any mod disables, thanks Bethesda) then you can read up on how to install this:

252-1693580079-899130306.jpeg
WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

An achievement enabler for Starfield. Stops your save from being marked as modded.

if you don't care about achievements, then you're already good to go.

Also, there's a whole list of neat console commands here: 

Starfield-console-commands-and-cheats-co
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

All console commands and cheats for Starfield on PC and Xbox, including cheats to get Skill Points, and any weapon or i…

But I didn't see anything referencing weight, carry weight, or mass, so I dunno if you can alter it by default. Some crazy stuff in there, will definitely mess with all of that once I play normally. (Sans mass, FUCK carry capacity.)

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

LB button in your inventory menu on the ship, only shows up while on ship and is connected to your storage back at home base. Any jet pack that says boost will give you boost, the one you get at the start is just training wheels. Ships you can buy from the ship yard store at most ship yard in the major towns. Don’t bother trying for a new ship until you have around 250K credits because ships south of that aren’t as good as the starter ship.

Yep, I have this all down and thanks. I was shopping for ships and they are too expensive at the moment. 

I've been doing strictly side quests today which have been fun and engaging. 

48 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Two questions that are probably make or break for me:

• Can you ignore crafting/collecting ingredients entirely?
  • Can you ignore having companions entirely?

These are two elements of most open-world/Bethesda games that I hate, and avoid if possible.

You don't have to bother with any of that. So you're good to go. 

I'm going to take back what I said about the overall visuals. I've seen a lot more now and these graphics are pretty damn nice. My only issue and it's always with Bethesda is the character models. 

The environments can be impressive and I dig the rain effects. 

Spoiler

The city of Neon is basically Cyberpunk lol. Looks great. 

Cursed.

PoF3i3K.jpg

Kidding aside, a couple observations after just kicking the tires on the thing.

Moving your character feels a lot better than Skyrim and Fallout 4. Basic shit like mantling really helps.

Still very funny that mooks have zero sense of self preservation. It's wild that a pirate with a knife just runs right towards me and my robot buddy slinging lasers for... no reason.

Getting used to what loot looks like in this game, the scanner is very helpful. :p

Holy fucking shit the UI for inventory management is TERRIBLE. I read about it being bad, but this feels like Bethesda has ZERO idea that its millions of players are all hoarders. Jesus Christ it's an absolute step back from Skyrim and Fallout 4 in ways I didn't think possible.

I like the aesthetic so far! Things seem too tall in a way that reminds me of Morrowind or a couple specific things in Oblivion, which I like.

Very interesting that Bethesda made its name with the whole "you can go there" vibe and ended up here. While that became less true to some extent after Morrowind with cities and such becoming their own zones (RIP acrobatics and levitation, I miss you like the desert misses the rain) it's MUCH different here. You very often CAN'T go there and there are an absolute TON of loading screens in this game. I don't know that this is good or bad, but it's interesting.

Not having a local map for cities and the like is fucking demented.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Moving your character feels a lot better than Skyrim and Fallout 4. Basic shit like mantling really helps.

I noticed the same thing. Basic animation is so much improved from their previous efforts it's making the game feel more like an actual game from the 21st century and not the 90's.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Still very funny that mooks have zero sense of self preservation. It's wild that a pirate with a knife just runs right towards me and my robot buddy slinging lasers for... no reason.

The do depending on what weapon they have. If it's a melee weapon they will absolutely rush you... I had one pirate I saw running towards me from damn near across the map with an axe. I dropped a mine on some stairs that were between me and him and watch him hilariously blow himself up.  Another time I saw a pirate start to charge me with a melee weapon, switch to a ranged weapon and then start to employ cover. I think it's totally dependent on what weapon they have. The A.I. so far hasn't been the best, but it hasn't been terrible either. Ranged enemies definitely employ cover and will retreat and hide when they're hurt. Game difficulty may play a part as well. I'm playing on Hard and @JPDunks4 is playing on Very Hard and I know we've both been pleasantly surprised by the A.I. in the fights. According to JP, enemies are far spongier playing very hard though. Hard seems like the sweet spot if you want a challenge.

The inventory and U.I. complaints are definitely justified. I'm shocked they couldn't come up with a more elegant interface than this one. I'm sure I'll get used to it but damn.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't know how this is possible. Unless I'm missing something, you can't even tell how close you are to being encumbered while looting or thinking about picking up an object.

Your encumbrance is listed in your status screen. I think it's called Mass or something... took me awhile to figure it out too.