Starfield - Information Thread, update (06/09): "Shattered Space" expansion trailer

SaysWho?

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

New Atlantis is a lot of space poorly used, with a lot of indirect pathing to make it seem like its a more complex environment then it actually is. The density of activities in the enviroment is low and the layout is that of an MMO from 10 years ago. The population of this "city" is also shockingly low. I think the game is at its best visually when you are wonder an alien world or moving through bases and space stations. I find the level of detail in all of the "Dungeons" to be quite dense and fairly detailed. Cockpit views are pretty good too, and space combat is dumb but acceptable, maybe that too changes with enhanced ships, skills, and later scenarios. I see the potential everywhere, but I don't want to speculate on how the game changes based on the story as you know, spoilers. 

Perfectly said. I'll be back playing shortly so I am anticipating it getting better for me. 

6 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

While that's true... IMHO, not a great way to implement it. Going to compare it to ME. The lore is a big part of not only the settings but also the motivations of the characters. Wrex and the Krogans dealing with the genophage. Mordin and his guilt about it. 

Conversely, Skyrim had interesting looking ruins throughout that you'd wander upon... but little explanations of what they were before. So they (to me) feel hollow. Compare that to Elden Ring, which had similar but most places felt like they had a purpose in the world vs just being there. Ruins weren't just a random castle in the wilderness but the ruins of whole towns....

Which brings me back to Starfield. One of the things that stuck with me in IGNs review were the copy/pasted sections of the MAIN plotline. Inch deep/mile wide. I know I'll eventually play it but when I read/hear stuff like that it just reminds me of the many things I dislike about your typical Ubi game. Lots of stuff to do but not a lot of narrative reason to do them beyond checking boxes.

I think Mass Effect and the ES games use somewhat similar methodologies to flesh out their lore actually. If you just play through the game you can certainly get the gist of the history of each universe, but only enough so that you know the basics. If you want more than that you have to pry into the books in ES or use the codex in ME. I actually think the codex is really well implemented in mass effect, especially if you read it as you go since it unlocks new entries based on your progress. But I could see someone preferring the books in the ES games since that is in some ways a more organic way to take in a history. It’s like, less overt, i guess? Like here’s a story about the past it’s up to you kinda to put that in context. 

For me, though, I struggle to synthesize that information when it’s not presented very clearly to me, so I appreciate ME’s better. That being said I believe Bethesda has a very detailed history of the starfield universe posted on their website, so I plan on looking through that before I play this game next week. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

You're free to support (and only support) this character any way you wish!

The options are

1. I can't even imagine how you're feeling right now.
  2. Take it slow and give yourself a moment to breathe.
  3. You're doing great, Companion_Name.
  4. Are you going to be all right?

30 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

One of the dialog options I had for a young kid that just lost his parents was "Space is tough kid, get used to it." There's plenty of options for the anti-social misanthrope.

Could you sell the child into slavery after beating the hell out of it??

• Haha 1

This is the best Bethesda game yet. That may not be saying much but this is a good game. Of course xbob hates it but I appreciate good games and this is good. 

The characters and voice acting are terrific. The one Asian woman in this was the voice actresses for Ghost of Tsushima. I didn't look this up I just knew it right when she spoke. The graphics can be really good then at times look bad...it's so fucking weird. Anyway, I had a lot of fun today with this and look forward to playing tomorrow. 

BTW, the combat with guns is better than I was expecting. It's solid enough and fun. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

This is the best Bethesda game yet. That may not be saying much but this is a good game. Of course xbob hates it but I appreciate good games and this is good. 

The characters and voice acting are terrific. The one Asian woman in this was the voice actresses for Ghost of Tsushima. I didn't look this up I just knew it right when she spoke. The graphics can be really good then at times look bad...it's so fucking weird. Anyway, I had a lot of fun today with this and look forward to playing tomorrow. 

BTW, the combat with guns is better than I was expecting. It's solid enough and fun. 

yooooo check that hype you are wayyy too early in a beth game to declare this lol 

• Thanks 1

I got kinda bored so I've been playing Sea of Stars all night instead. Damn good little RPG.

I'll get back to Starfield in a bit. I'm really, REALLY not the type to speed through mainlining a game but the talk about the NG+ being the "right" way to go about it has me genuinely super curious. That didn't stop me from spending like 6 hours just scanning random stuff on a planet like a dipshit to very little reward, but I got that out of my system. Time to start the mortgage on my extremely expensive home!

I also stole a pirate ship from pirates who landed nearby and lost a fight to some random alien spider thing, and then I registered it. Wonder if I can just steal ships every day to pay off my mortgage.

• Halal 1

I've had many, many bugs so far, but most are "eh whatever," except for these two:

image.png

This one the interior of my ship didn't load in, and I guess if something doesn't load in, it doesn't exist, so I was able to clamber up on the side there and stand on top, at which point the ship magically restored itself.

And here there appears to be a pretty big misalignment of where the color grading/lighting is supposed to change (I assume when you stop outside of the building) but it's all indoors, so it was something else, that's for sure!

I don't actually hate bugs in Bethesda games because they tend to be more entertaining than most of the other shit going on, so this makes me happy. 

16 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I've had many, many bugs so far, but most are "eh whatever," except for these two:

image.png

This one the interior of my ship didn't load in, and I guess if something doesn't load in, it doesn't exist, so I was able to clamber up on the side there and stand on top, at which point the ship magically restored itself.

And here there appears to be a pretty big misalignment of where the color grading/lighting is supposed to change (I assume when you stop outside of the building) but it's all indoors, so it was something else, that's for sure!

I don't actually hate bugs in Bethesda games because they tend to be more entertaining than most of the other shit going on, so this makes me happy. 

Tell me you aren’t ray tracing your lighting without telling me you aren’t ray tracing your lighting 

8 hours ago, stepee said:

yooooo check that hype you are wayyy too early in a beth game to declare this lol 

Lol. Best Bethesda game is extremely easy to accomplish. I am 12 hours in and haven't seen ONE bug at all. The gameplay is the most fun of any Bethesda game, too. I prefer Elders Scrolls world but Starfield is their best game they have made. I'm very confident in saying this. 

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

4 hours in - Not feeling it

8 hours in - best Bethesda game yet

12 hours in - best game ever?

:o

It starts out very slow but I never said I wasn't "feeling it". I was worried and being patient about the beginning sections but I never said it was not a good game etc. 

This will never be the best game ever for me strictly because I really dislike space. Bethesda has improved their animations but the characters still look like mud puppets. I was laughing my ass off (litteraly) when walking around New Atlantis saying hi to all the NPC'S. They are comically bad looking. But some of the main characters look good and animate pretty well. 

Overall, I'm excited to get back playing shortly. 

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Lol. Best Bethesda game is extremely easy to accomplish. I am 12 hours in and haven't seen ONE bug at all. The gameplay is the most fun of any Bethesda game, too. I prefer Elders Scrolls world but Starfield is their best game they have made. I'm very confident in saying this. 

It starts out very slow but I never said I wasn't "feeling it". I was worried and being patient about the beginning sections but I never said it was not a good game etc. 

This will never be the best game ever for me strictly because I really dislike space. Bethesda has improved their animations but the characters still look like mud puppets. I was laughing my ass off (litteraly) when walking around New Atlantis saying hi to all the NPC'S. They are comically bad looking. But some of the main characters look good and animate pretty well. 

Overall, I'm excited to get back playing shortly. 

I’ll never understand how someone can dislike Space. 

and really, very little of the game is actually played in space, and when it is, it’s just short flying sections.

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I’ll never understand how someone can dislike Space. 

and really, very little of the game is actually played in space, and when it is, it’s just short flying sections.

I can't explain it but it absolutely never deters me from playing games based around space. I loved the Mass Effect games and I'm really liking this, too.