Starfield - Information Thread, update (06/09): "Shattered Space" expansion trailer

SaysWho?

7 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

That's possible. Skyrim was OK-ish for me. Didn't care for Fallout either. I think the main issue with Bethesda games is that they build worlds but skip the narrative world building... That's the difference between Witcher 3/Mass Effect/Dragon Age Origins/Elden Ring vs Skyrim. Those worlds have lore, history, etc... that make them a world vs a map.

There is plenty of lore in an Elder Scrolls game, they're all in books you find in the world and some are quite lengthy.

• True 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@skillzdadirecta I'm on gamepass and there are three different versions to get.

Starfield premium edition  $99.99

Starfield Standard edition $69.99

Starfield Premium  edition upgrade $31.49

Which one do I get for the early access? Nothing in these descriptions say anything about playing early?

seems you already got your answer. Premium edition if you want to buy the full game with early access or the premium upgrade if you wanted to just play it on GamePass but get all the premium stuff, like early access. 

Some people got salty about the upgrade, but I rather like the idea. In the past if you wanted the premium edition stuff you’d have to just buy the $80-$120 version even if you already had GamePass. And some games don’t even let you buy the upgrade if you just got the standard edition. You’d have to buy the whole game again. So I like the existence of upgrades. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

seems you already got your answer. Premium edition if you want to buy the full game with early access or the premium upgrade if you wanted to just play it on GamePass but get all the premium stuff, like early access. 

Thanks man. 

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

Already had my first crash. Least buggiest Bugthesda game ever my ass! Well it made it farther than Skyrim in the PS3 which first crashed for me during the opening cart ride.

Sucks to hear. Other than the crash, how are you enjoying it?

The lighting or gamma or HDR or something seems totally busted for absolutely everyone. Either that or someone made the worst artistic decision in the history of media, because the entire game looks super washed out and gross. Areas that are supposed to be pitch black are like a gross sickly green which looks abysmal. It's like the piss filter from the Fallout games but even stranger.

Performance kinda sucked with FSR, but using the DLSS mod I'm well above 100 at seemingly all times so far. There's an FOV fix for anyone that needs one in the Steam forums. Just making a text file and copying in a line.

Game itself seems... very Bethesda so far. At the very least all the art assets are high quality enough for me to read all the text, which is something I always enjoy. There's also some real good item models of all the stuff you pick up, like a boxed beer with a little straw on the side, like a juice box.

Gunplay has been very middle-of-the-road. Ship combat was like some Fischer-Price shit despite the inclusion of manually diverting energy to and from systems. Manual space flight is absolutely useless as we all already knew, but despite all this, it's not painful to play like Fallout 3 was.

I got distracted a couple hours ago and have just been watching my wife play Fall Guys while I left the game open. Time to get back to it, I want to know what this NG+ shit is that all the reviewers were so secretive about. (And no I don't want to be told.) I do love mysterious bullshit, so that part has been compelling for me.

44 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There is plenty of lore in an Elder Scrolls game, they're all in books you find in the world and some are quite lengthy.

Yeah Elder Scrolls games have literally thousands of years of lore. People use all of the lore when they are building characters for strict roleplaying. The Lore in Elder Scrolls game is EASILY on par with what's in The Witcher and Dragon Age games.

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The lighting or gamma or HDR or something seems totally busted for absolutely everyone. Either that or someone made the worst artistic decision in the history of media, because the entire game looks super washed out and gross. Areas that are supposed to be pitch black are like a gross sickly green which looks abysmal. It's like the piss filter from the Fallout games but even stranger.

I was reading reviews about this very issue. They say to turn HDR off. Is that possible especially on the Series X?

9 minutes ago, Dodger said:

So far so good. Gonna go stealth route,  because stealth is always OP in Bethesda games.

Great to hear. I'm not a stealth gamer so I'll choose something different. 

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm liking it a lot so far but it's giving me STRONG Mass Effect vibes. Like a LOT so far.

Well that's a great thing for me because I loved the Mass Effect games. 

Does it look washed out like xbob said above?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I was reading reviews about this very issue. They say to turn HDR off. Is that possible especially on the Series X?

No, that doesn't help, nor does toggling auto HDR or another person's suggestion about changing dynamic range output from full to limited.

Further, I'm now in a different area where the piss filter is now a windex filter and the shadows have a nasty blue tint. I think it might actually be some sort of demented artistic choice by someone clearly in need of an immediate lobotomy... But I hold out hope it's just a gamma issue.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

it does a little. First thing I noticed when i booted it up. The space stuff looks better but the lighting is off. Hopefully they can fix it.

Fuck.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

No, that doesn't help, nor does toggling auto HDR or another person's suggestion about changing dynamic range output from full to limited.

Further, I'm now in a different area where the piss filter is now a windex filter and the shadows have a nasty blue tint. I think it might actually be some sort of demented artistic choice by someone clearly in need of an immediate lobotomy... But I hold out hope it's just a gamma issue.

Ugh. This is terrible news for me since I'm a graphics whore. 

On the plus side, or I guess neutral? You can tell who important NPCs are based on the quality of their facial animations. What I assume are important NPCs get what looks like a full mocap treatment. I'm talking L.A. Noire style facial animations (without it looking like a weird movie file being played over a face shape which is what L.A. Noire always looked like to me) with properly stretching nasolabial folds, lips that move quickly and in all the right shapes as a character enunciates, including nice circular shapes, raised eyebrows at the right moments that don't look animated by a weird puppeteer, sometimes even pauses in the facial animation followed by a very slight flick of the eyes in a certain direction as if to say "you know, those bastards out there." Looks very cool.

But then 2 feet away there's George who looks like a reskinned Skyrim character masquerading as if he belongs. A shopkeep with 10% of the resolution to her face with clearly unmocapped everything. And people still stand around kind of awkwardly most of the time, though not as bad as ol' Fallout 3 where if you watch footage of the intro it's like way creepier than it was before if you just watch how people animate and look at you.

The lack of consistency bothers me, but the fact that at least some characters got a real VIP treatment shows Bethesda might be learning!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, best3444 said:

Well apparently you're on point with Starfield, too. I hope I enjoy it it because $100 is steep for me. 

Why would you pay 100$ for it?

edit: you didn’t.

but again, if 100$ is a lot for you, why wouldn’t you just wait 

15 hours ago, Brian said:

Look at that, Microsoft can release a decent Triple A title

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

I mean, they’ve released multiple great ones this generation already.