Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (27 June 2024) - US/Israel in talks to supply 8 Patriot systems to Ukraine

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

I'm not even sure Russia doesn't break apart if they collapse in Ukraine and Putin is ousted, lol.

What would a broken up Russia look like, anyways?  I know there are ethnic pockets within Russia, but they seem to be fairly small and along existing border regions with other countries.  So even if these areas splintered off and became independent or were absorbed by other countries, Russia wouldn't shrink much.

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

What would a broken up Russia look like, anyways?  I know there are ethnic pockets within Russia, but they seem to be fairly small and along existing border regions with other countries.  So even if these areas splintered off and became independent or were absorbed by other countries, Russia wouldn't shrink much.

I'm thinking more along territorial lines than ethnic, there have been large protests in the east in recent years.

9 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It would be a nightmare because of the nuclear infrastructure spread across the entire area. 

It would require a multinational effort to denuclearize what became of Russia. And I'm betting some of those areas would be very resistant to that. No Project Sapphire or Ukrainian handover. 

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

Russia's performance in this war tells me that if they got into it with NATO, it would absolutely escalate to nuclear usage and it would do so much quicker than anyone would expect. 

At this point what NATO can best do to protect its member states is to cite the complete and total non-threat Russia poses and disband. 

29 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

At this point what NATO can best do to protect its member states is to cite the complete and total non-threat Russia poses and disband. 

Yeah i don't see how discontinuing decades of cooperation is going to protect anyone, the defensive alliance staying in place without an active threat on it isn't exactly a danger.  Plus China seems to have some expansion goals, and having a unified power to counter that seems to have been extremely effective.

39 minutes ago, CayceG said:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhh

32 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Yeah i don't see how discontinuing decades of cooperation is going to protect anyone, the defensive alliance staying in place without an active threat on it isn't exactly a danger.  Plus China seems to have some expansion goals, and having a unified power to counter that seems to have been extremely effective.

I'm apparently taken more seriously around here than I either expected or deserve. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I wonder what kind of punishment these Russian soldiers face if they just give up and head back to Russia?  

Based on Russia's apparent capacity, capabilities, resources, and tactics I believe they would be made to walk the plank. 

• Haha 1