Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (27 June 2024) - US/Israel in talks to supply 8 Patriot systems to Ukraine

36 minutes ago, CayceG said:

My biggest fear is that this results in Russia running out of conventional options and ending the conflict by nuking Kyiv. 

If that happens then NATO finally goes in and gets rid of Putin, right? MAD only works as a deterrent for as long as the nukes aren't flying. 

Yeah, when the nukes are the only thing left that isn't a laughingstock, using them is tremendously dumb, far dumber than this sad invasion. Putin would be pulling the trigger on his own skull at that point. Restraint will serve him and Russia far better. Nuking their "countrymen" certainly wouldn't win any favors inside Russia either. Trying to use a nuke to solve this problem would be counterproductive at every level that I can think of.

I ain't no big city geopolitical professor or anything, but it seems obvious that unless Putin has actually lost his mind (which I do not believe he has) then nukes are off the table and were never on the table to begin with.

As to the Kremlin's aims in Ukraine, Kartapolov explained them in detail: "Our position is clear and transparent, including during these negotiations. The essence is as follows: Ukraine will recognize Crimea as the Russian Federation, as well as DPR/LPR ['Donetsk People's Republic' and 'Luhansk People's Republic'] within their administrative borders. Ukraine will change its social and state system and become a neutral, demilitarized country. That's it."

2 hours ago, Jason said:

If that happens then NATO finally goes in and gets rid of Putin, right? MAD only works as a deterrent for as long as the nukes aren't flying. 

Actually, could Putin even launch a nuke without US intelligence knowing it was gonna happen?

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Interesting article on the potential impacts of the freezing of Russia's central bank currency reserves.  That act could accelerate the shift away from the US dollar as the world's reserve currency.

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

Sanctions have shown that currency reserves accumulated by central banks can be taken away. With China taking note, this may reshape geopolitics, economic management and even...

Eh there is nothing to replace it with. The Euro is held together with tape and no one trusts the yuan. 

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

China is paying close attention 

This was in that tweet thread and I dont understand the logic behind it

When you hold this much power and this much corruption why not take the easier route of doing the easier build rather then doing the more costlier route and over charging. 

Why spend $3 to rob the country of $5 when you could spent $1 to rob the country of $5 .

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

This was in that tweet thread and I dont understand the logic behind it

When you hold this much power and this much corruption why not take the easier route of doing the easier build rather then doing the more costlier route and over charging. 

Why spend $3 to rob the country of $5 when you could spent $1 to rob the country of $5 .

Maybe they not so smart. Put us in charge!

20 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

So in a little over a week of fighting in Ukraine, the Russians have potentially lost 2/3rds the number of personnel they lost in almost a decade of fighting in Afghanistan.

Well when you're fighting a 80's war in 2022, yeah.  I started playing World in Conflict, and you know Russia is using all the same shit for the most part with upgrades, and its set in 1989, in fact they don't even have them using T-72s in the game, lol.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Hey who wants more of the hot new twitter trend, Military Tire (and Mud) Twitter?

if the Ukraine "wins" this war they are going to end up with half of Russia's ground equipment left in their country, either destroyed or abandoned.