Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (27 June 2024) - US/Israel in talks to supply 8 Patriot systems to Ukraine

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

I feel like I have to read a few new pages in this thread every time I revisit this site.  I can't keep up!

Is the situation getting better or worse?

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yes.

The fog of war along with the propaganda from both sides of the conflict make it difficult, at least from my perspective, which side is really winning.  On one hand, it's clear that the war has been an absolute meat grinder for Russian forces, but on the other hand, the Ukrainians are getting pounded as well. 

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

I feel like I have to read a few new pages in this thread every time I revisit this site.  I can't keep up!

Is the situation getting better or worse?

Ukraine is "winning" in the sense that they appear to be extracting massive losses from the Russians. If Russia is willing to sustain these losses in the long term, then Russia will still "win" based on the military differential between the two nations. When I say "win," I mean militarily defeat an organized Ukrainian military. In terms of actually occupying/controlling Ukraine (even with a dummy government), I don't know how that would be possible considering the animosity they've awakened in the general Ukrainian population.

• Thanks 2

An interesting alternative take on an invasion map.

FMrpsvmagAYNgBf?format=jpg&name=large

While both are useful, I think this is actually more accurate in that Russia hasn't really "captured" a lot of land area, they are sticking to major roads and towns as they advance. However, that control obviously limits what Ukraine is able to do military beyond those points, but it's not likely Russia is occupying a lot of land/places. They can't really do that with the limited forces they are using. Even if all 200,000 of Russia's invasion force stayed in Ukraine, that's a low occupation force for a nation of 44 million hostile people, especially if you won't have many locals on your side.

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

An interesting alternative take on an invasion map.

FMrpsvmagAYNgBf?format=jpg&name=large

While both are useful, I think this is actually more accurate in that Russia hasn't really "captured" a lot of land area, they are sticking to major roads and towns as they advance. However, that control obviously limits what Ukraine is able to do military beyond those points, but it's not likely Russia is occupying a lot of land/places. They can't really do that with the limited forces they are using. Even if all 200,000 of Russia's invasion force stayed in Ukraine, that's a low occupation force for a nation of 44 million hostile people, especially if you won't have many locals on your side.

This is very similar the US invasion of Iraq in 2003 (coincidentally another illegal invasion!) in that the US also went in with a relatively "light" force that focused on offensive forward momentum, mobility, and speed rather than consolidation of territory.

Also similarly, that strategy led to exposed supply lines that the nascent Iraqi insurgency took advantage of.  US forces also got bogged down in southern Iraq near the town of Najaf for several days which led to questions about the overall American "go light, go fast" strategy.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is very similar the US invasion of Iraq in 2003 (coincidentally another illegal invasion!) in that the US also went in with a relatively "light" force that focused on offensive forward momentum and speed rather than consolidation of territory.

Also similarly, that strategy led to exposed supply lines that the nascent Iraqi insurgency took advantage of.  US forces also got bogged down in southern Iraq near the town of Najaf for several days which led to questions about the overall American "go light, go fast" strategy.

So Ukraine could become Russia's Iraq?

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So, personnel losses aside, what is your opinion of the hardware losses? Like, if the US were invading a country right now and was experiencing these asset losses, would there be a change of strategy, etc? I can't even imagine the financial cost of this to Russia.

There would be an operational pause and someone(s) would be relieved of command.