Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (27 June 2024) - US/Israel in talks to supply 8 Patriot systems to Ukraine

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

So assuming Russia is really fucking this up and decides to limp back home with their tails between their legs, how likely is it that Putin will make heads roll?

Honestly, he'll probably fire lots of people, but that will be the extent of their punishment.

The image of dictators executing those that fail them is really only limited to one person: Josef Stalin.

Even Hitler didn't shoot generals who failed him - he only demoted/fired them.

7 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

So assuming Russia is really fucking this up and decides to limp back home with their tails between their legs, how likely is it that Putin will make heads roll?

Last time they failed like this ppl overthrew the government.

640px-RUSSOJAPANESEWARIMAGE.jpg
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Although Russia suffered a number of defeats, Emperor Nicholas II was convinced that Russia could win if it fought on; he chose to remain engaged in the war and wait for the outcomes of certain key naval battles. After the hope of victory was quelled, he continued the war to preserve the dignity of Russia by averting a "humiliating peace." Russia ignored Japan's willingness early on to agree to an armistice and rejected the idea of bringing the dispute to the Arbitration Court at The Hague. The war eventually concluded with the Treaty of Portsmouth (5 September [O.S. 23 August] 1905), mediated by US President Theodore Roosevelt. The complete victory of the Japanese military surprised international observers and transformed the balance of power in both East Asia and Eastern Europe, resulting in Japan's emergence as a great power and Russia's decline in prestige and influence in Eastern Europe. The loss of life without victory and the humiliating defeat for the Russian Empire contributed to growing domestic unrest which culminated in the 1905 Russian Revolution and accelerated the disintegration of the Russian autocracy. The war also marked the first victory of an Asian country against a Western power in modern times.[6]

Just now, marioandsonic said:

Russian General Staff, Commanders of the Airborne Forces, the Russian Air Force, and the Western Military District all are dead men. 

I wonder how 1st Guards Tank Army is doing. 

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

I'm wondering if Monday's deadline by the Russian General Staff is their version of take the capitol, declare victory, withdraw to cut their loses except for maybe the Republics. 

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

It is possible they withdraw claiming their mission of disarming Ukraine is complete to save face. 

Here's the kicker: if they actually do that, the odds are very good that they'll march out of Ukraine with the country ACTUALLY BEING BETTER ARMED than when they marched in.

• Haha 1
  • True 1
  • Ukraine 1

3 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Russian General Staff, Commanders of the Airborne Forces, the Russian Air Force, and the Western Military District all are dead men. 

Y'know it may not be a bad idea if things look bleak for those fellows for Western intelligence services to see if they could get in touch with them to arrange a very long-term holiday somewhere that's not Russia.

• Sicko 1

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Honestly, he'll probably fire lots of people, but that will be the extent of their punishment.

The image of dictators executing those that fail them is really only limited to one person: Josef Stalin.

Even Hitler didn't shoot generals who failed him - he only demoted/fired them.

Kim Jong Un is going to stand you up on the wrong end of an anti-aircraft gun for forgetting North Korea.

• Haha 1

I’m very skeptical of the more outlandish scenarios such as Russia retreating soon or Putin being overthrown, but I certainly  want to believe it! I think they’re just getting started and it’s going to get a lot worse for Ukraine. But I thought this would have gone much smoother for Russia, so who knows!

It’s more believable that the Russians are going to use weapons that inflict massive indiscriminate casualties far sooner than they would back out. 

checheno1.jpg
WWW.KIRATAS.COM

The Armed Forces of Ukraine have assured that shortly after 8:30 p.m. they have “neutralized” the Chechen general, Magomed Tushayev. Apparently, he could have been killed near Kiev, in the area known as Hostome. Tushayev He was in charge of the 141 motorized regiment of the so-called Kadyrov guard: one of the most elite units […]

• Ukraine 2

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

A girl at the protest I went to yesterday sang this. She could have been in this group, she sang so well. 

Ukrainians are, in my experience, universally talented in the arts. And the language is something I never get tired of hearing. It is just so incredibly beautiful to hear spoken. 

• Ukraine 1

54 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

I really had no idea who he was before all of this, but that picture and that quote makes me want him to make it through all of this safely/successfully. 

Has he done anything shitty over the years, just so I don't feel so emotionally invested in this, seemingly, kind leader?

12 minutes ago, Derek said:

I really had no idea who he was before all of this, but that picture and that quote makes me want him to make it through all of this safely/successfully. 

Has he done anything shitty over the years, just so I don't feel so emotionally invested in this, seemingly, kind leader?

He was for a bit their Daily Show Jon Stewart, and so maybe a skit went too far over (who knows) I think the man is of great heart and true, and the people of Ukraine are clearly showing their respect to that (and for their country)