Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (27 June 2024) - US/Israel in talks to supply 8 Patriot systems to Ukraine

49 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I wonder what Russia's response would be if Ukraine agreed to not join NATO, then Russia pulled out, and Ukraine immediately joined NATO. (Obviously you can't just "join NATO" like that, but I'm just thinking of the look on Putin's face.)

As Michael Scott bravely told David Wallace during negotiations over the Michael Scott Paper Company - one needs only to out-live Wallace’s tenure until the board kicks him out as CFO. I imagine it’s similar for Ukraine, Putin doesn’t have long anyway. Will a subsequent leader threaten war over Ukraine flirting with NATO? 

• True 1

Fuck it, we've signed up to host a refugee family. We only really have a spare bedroom in the basement (though fully furnished and the basement is finished), but after talking last night we decided that we couldn't not do it. If families are willing to travel around the world to have a safe place to live, even temporarily, then we can offer a bedroom and some food/expenses to help them. Who knows if we'll even be selected since we don't speak Ukrainian or Russian (beyond a few basic phrases I know), but we have access to a lot of Ukrainian friends and families as a support network.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Ukraine 7

Theoretically, even with all the losses they've taken, Russia could still win this war (in the sense of taking Kharkiv, Kyiv, and flattening everything east of the Dnieper. They could likely even do it with all of their old equipment, provided they had a good plan and good local commanders. But...I just don't think they do.

My boss has a theory that Russia is doing this bad on purpose so that there is less western intervention, and that Russia knew all along it would be like this, and calculated the cost and was willing to slow-roll their way over Ukraine in 3-4 months. I should note that he's not pro-Russian, by the way, he's just a conspiracy nut (who somehow hasn't yet been corrupted by the alt-right). There is no way that Russia could hope to win the war with this level of ineptitude, in terms of it being planned.

And the truth is we really don't know. There is an information war and a real war happening at the same time.

Regardless of how it's actually going on the ground, if Putin looks weak or foolish on the national stage, who knows what he will do. It's really scary.