Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (27 June 2024) - US/Israel in talks to supply 8 Patriot systems to Ukraine

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

First thing my father did coming out of the Army was bounce over to Raytheon to build these back in the early 80s. When he was still alive he'd perk up about how cool these things were at the news of them being deployed.

I'm going to ridiculously read far too much into Lavrov's statement, but let's go down this incredibly stupid rabbit hole anyway.

Let's take it at face value and Lavrov/Russia genuinely doesn't believe that they've attacked another country known as "Ukraine".  The overwhelming majority of Russia's operations have occurred in the eastern portion of the country.  Using Lavrov's logic, those operations have occurred in a place that's "Not Ukraine".  By implication, an idiotically generous reading of Lavrov's statement is that the western portion of the country that hasn't been attacked is in fact "Ukraine".  In essence, the tweet insinuates a partition of the country between "Ukraine" (the relatively unscathed western part) and "Not Ukraine" (the part undergoing Russian "liberation").

Like I stated form the outset, this is an absolutely ludicrous reading of Lavrov's statement, but it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm going to read far too much into Lavrov's statement, but let's go down this ridiculous rabbit hole.

Let's take it at face value and Lavrov/Russia genuinely doesn't believe that they've attacked another country known as "Ukraine".  The overwhelming majority of Russia's operations have occurred in the eastern portion of the country.  Using Lavrov's logic, those operations have occurred in a place that's "Not Ukraine".  By implication, a ridiculously generous reading of Lavrov's statement is that the western portion of the country that hasn't been attacked is in fact "Ukraine".  In essence, the tweet insinuates a partition of the country between "Ukraine" (the unattacked western part) and "Not Ukraine" (the part where Russian operations are occurring).

Like I stated form the outset, this is an absolutely ludicrous reading of Lavrov's statement, but it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

If what they've attacked is Not Ukraine, then it's...Russia? 

11diplo_web2-superJumbo.jpg

23 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Thread on the scope of "modernization" of Russian forces:

I can see this being the case. Though the t-80BVM does have thermals but only on the gunner sights. I imagine the only Russian tank wit commander thermals might be the Armata.

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

If what they've attacked is Not Ukraine, then it's...Russia? 

11diplo_web2-superJumbo.jpg

51 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It may not necessarily be "Russia" per se - it's just "Not Ukraine".

And their next response anyway would be "and any shelling or strikes are not done by Russian forces, they are by Ukrainian Nazis and drug addicts against Russian people."

29 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Take down their fucking Twitter account for spreading fake news. If the American president could be removed, why not here with these assholes,

Keep in mind, it took 4 years of constant lies for them to finally shut him down.

48 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Thread on the scope of "modernization" of Russian forces:

This thread also reinforces the idea that while Russia is likely still able to slowly push Ukrainian forces back (probably even to the Dnieper for the entire eastern half of the country), they don't really have any way to occupy and control what they take. The invasion force isn't even enough to take and hold Kharkiv, Mariupol, and Kyiv. They can bombard them for weeks and commit massive war crimes...but what does Russia plan to do after? And the more the front line compresses, the harder it will be for the Russians to continue to push, especially if you have hidden caches of antitank weapons in the areas they take. I can only assume that Ukraine is preparing for a resistance and is hiding men and weapons around the eastern/central part of the country so that they can continue to destroy supply lines once the Russians push past.

Ah, here is what I was talking about:

jY6k9kpTURBXy9kZTBkNmY0ZjZmZDc2Yzk4NzY5M
WWW.ONET.PL

– Mamy rozbijać rosyjskie kolumny. Polujemy na cysterny. Najpierw uderzamy w przód kolumny, aby uniemożliwić im dalszy przejazd i spowodować panikę. Potem celujemy w cysternę – z polskim ochotnikiem, który walczy ramię w ramię z Ukraińcami, rozmawia w Kijowie korespondent Onetu Marcin Wyrwał.

Interview with Polish volunteer in the Ukrainian foreign legion:

• he's part of a 25 people ambush group that waits on smaller roads or in forests
  • 10 soldiers in his group are armed with Javelins
  • his group has had one engagement with a Russian convoy
  • the main objectives are to hit the front of the convoy first (to block the road), then to hit fuel trucks
  • complains a lot about the cold, but suspects Russian soldiers are even more affected by it

EDIT - More details:

• Of the 120 people he is grouped with in total, 90 are from Japan, 5 are Polish, and the rest are American and British. Two of the Americans are pilots and were taken elsewhere once it was learned they could fly planes. 
  • Foreign volunteers are sent to cover forest roads with anti-tank weapons, and the professional Ukrainian army defends main roads

My city has a steel mill and pipe mill which is owned and run by Evraz, the "British" steel company which is actually owned by Russians. Their stock was halted last night in the UK after the main owner was barred from the country. My brother works at the pipe mill, but hasn't heard anything. I wonder if the North American operations will need to be split off. Nothing like some good ol' nationalization of strategic resources!