Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (27 June 2024) - US/Israel in talks to supply 8 Patriot systems to Ukraine

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

We'll just give infantry big sticks with spikes on them to swat drones out of the air.

Or jars of cucumbers.

WWW.MANCHESTEREVENINGNEWS.CO.UK

While the west baulks at a no fly zone over Ukraine, a woman in Kyiv is said to have taken out a drone with a jar of pickles from her balcony

• Ukraine 7

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Or jars of cucumbers.

WWW.MANCHESTEREVENINGNEWS.CO.UK

While the west baulks at a no fly zone over Ukraine, a woman in Kyiv is said to have taken out a drone with a jar of pickles from her balcony

BANPAP (Baba portable air defense pickles)

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

It probably helps when you have infantry moving with your armor and aren't just sending a column of vehicles up the road unsupported.

Pfft, I've played thousands of hours of Civilization and a stack of tanks can blitz pretty much anything. 

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fun historical fact: San Marino had a democratically-elected, Communist Party-led coalition government from 1945-1957.

The purpose of that list was to announce that financial obligations owed to those countries would be settled in rubles as opposed to dollars/euros.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hmm.

On 3/3/2022 at 9:54 AM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Even after the sanctions are lifted, I can’t imagine any foreign investment will come flooding back unless Putin is removed. 

On 3/3/2022 at 10:29 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Oh I think you'd be surprised.

:p

Just now, LazyPiranha said:

There’s absolutely no way they’re approaching US Vietnam losses in half a month.

That rate of attrition is catastrophic in a way that's simply beyond any military comprehension and would mean that Russian forces would have collapsed already.

The organization that published that analysis should never be taken remotely seriously ever again.

This is an interesting analysis of the Russian air force's poor showing from what seems to be a legit UK defense think tank.

The whole thing is not very long, but what it boils down to is that they can't imagine that the Russians are holding anything in reserve or otherwise choosing not to establish more complete air superiority and that instead the Russians are simply incapable of doing so. Given the aircraft they have in the numbers they have them, you'd expect the Russians to easily establish air superiority over all of Ukraine, but that simply hasn't happened.

They point out that Russian pilots get fewer flight ours per year than their western counterparts, when they do fly they do so in far less demanding conditions, and they have far less comprehensive simulators. So the whole Russian Air Force is simply incapable of organizing complex air operations at the scale required.

While this is simply an informed guess and far from a definitive analysis, it's interesting speculation, and not something I'd have considered before the war.

• Thanks 1
  • Sicko 1
  • Ukraine 1

7 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is 100% what it is. With the forces and supplies currently inside Ukraine, Russia has little hope of achieving their goals. 

Also once all the citizens are allowed time to leave, 20 minutes is enough I think, anyone left is clearly a viable target to be shelled right?

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

This is an interesting analysis of the Russian air force's poor showing from what seems to be a legit UK defense think tank.

The whole thing is not very long, but what it boils down to is that they can't imagine that the Russians are holding anything in reserve or otherwise choosing not to establish more complete air superiority and that instead the Russians are simply incapable of doing so. Given the aircraft they have in the numbers they have them, you'd expect the Russians to easily establish air superiority over all of Ukraine, but that simply hasn't happened.

They point out that Russian pilots get fewer flight ours per year than their western counterparts, when they do fly they do so in far less demanding conditions, and they have far less comprehensive simulators. So the whole Russian Air Force is simply incapable of organizing complex air operations at the scale required.

While this is simply an informed guess and far from a definitive analysis, it's interesting speculation, and not something I'd have considered before the war.

At the very least it appears that they have basically no precise or guided munitions. They are literally risking their planes to do low runs with dumb bombs.

13 hours ago, Jason said:

I think the local Costco gas station jumped directly from $4.35 to $5.05. It's not even the cheapest gas station in its vicinity right now, which I don't think I've seen before. The cheapest near me is $5. 

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

*laughs in Prius* :sickos:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This conflict has illustrated two things very clearly to me:

(1) The age of the armored warfare is probably/definitely dead and buried due to light infantry carrying MANPATS.

(2) The age of helicopter-borne air assault warfare is probably/definitely dead and buried due to light infantry carrying MANPADS.

In essence, the light infantryman has essentially reclaimed their role as the primary battlefield element.

Ehhhh, active protection systems will probably shore up a lot of this, and are probably going to receive way more funding, and while supposedly Russia has them installed on their tanks but like everything else they probably just don't work.

• True 1

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Thread on US current assessment:

tl;dr:

• Russia has committed 100% of invasion troops
  • No signs of any additional troops/reserves moving towards Ukraine

So...how does Russia plan to take and hold the country?

It's like just like a game. Once they plant their flag in Kyiv, the city and it's surrounding areas fall under Russian control and they can then take command of the Ukrainian forces from there.