Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (27 June 2024) - US/Israel in talks to supply 8 Patriot systems to Ukraine

45 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Can someone translate this for those of us who haven't memorized a military Sears catalog?

Is this like intercepting a bullet with a slingshot?

44 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's a pretty damned good analogy! :clap:

Decades of online gaming have finally paid off I guess?

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Not quite, but you're in the correct domain.

Rods from Tod

Or I suspect you mean some kind of weapons-launched-from-orbit? I hope that's not true, as weapons in orbit will only lead to use of anti-orbit weapons, which means a debris shell around the planet. Or maybe you mean kinetic, guided (but inert) weapons that achieve incredibly velocity but are non-powered on their approach.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Rods from Tod

Or I suspect you mean some kind of weapons-launched-from-orbit? I hope that's not true, as weapons in orbit will only lead to use of anti-orbit weapons, which means a debris shell around the planet. Or maybe you mean kinetic, guided (but inert) weapons that achieve incredibly velocity but are non-powered on their approach.

I assumed a kinetic, non nuclear weapon based on his response  

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I told a friend if mine the other day that with the way the world is going, don't be surprised to see giant robots fighting it out soon.

Please Robots? It’s going to be some sort of  radioactive Godzilla like creature. From either some nuclear plant accidentally fired upon creation, nuclear fallout, or years after the Chernobyl incident and created Ents that can only be called for help when times are at their worst.

36 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Rods from Tod

Not that either.

10 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

JADC2?

I'm assuming it's this. JADC2 is a DoD wide program to link sensors and shooters in real time over a network, regardless of platform. Each branch has its own program to link together their own systems, once finished those 3 systems will be linked together. The idea is that an Air Force AWAC can detect a cruise missile and the system will automatically send weapons quality data to the shooter the system thinks can kill it, maybe an Army Patriot Battery or a Navy Aegis Destroyer, all without the shooter turning on its own sensors. 

18 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

I'm assuming it's this. JADC2 is a DoD wide program to link sensors and shooters in real time over a network, regardless of platform. Each branch has its own program to link together their own systems, once finished those 3 systems will be linked together. The idea is that an Air Force AWAC can detect a cruise missile and the system will automatically send weapons quality data to the shooter the system thinks can kill it, maybe an Army Patriot Battery or a Navy Aegis Destroyer, all without the shooter turning on its own sensors. 

So we'll see an LAPD officer fire their pistol in the air as ordered by AI at a precise angle and take out a cruise missile with a single bullet.

59 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So we'll see an LAPD officer fire their pistol in the air as ordered by AI at a precise angle and take out a cruise missile with a single bullet.

Or a platform you wouldn't think can blow a plane out of the sky. 

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It absolutely is and if anything such a protracted  stalemate may only increase the probability that Moscow will use "extraordinary means" (i.e. a tactical nuclear weapon) to break it.

I do wonder what Ukraine's response would be at that point. Based on everything I see, I just can't imagine it doing anything but enraging them. They don't seem the type to have their will broken even by extraordinary means.

It certainly wouldn't improve civilian morale and would be horrific, but I can't see it being the "win" button a Putin in this situation might assume it would be.